The MDM script is utterly useless

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Lolpingu

The MDM script is utterly useless

Post by Lolpingu » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 17:43

I'm having trouble with M7M ships - the amount of missiles they launch is impossible for my turrets to deal with, even if I control them manually.
I've tried to grab the bonus pack for AP which has the missile defense mosquito script, hoping that it would solve my missile problems.
So I loaded my Boreas with 1000 mosquitoes and set out into Terran territory.
I approached an ATF convoy with 3 M7Ms and was immediately spammed with shadow missiles - when they got into a range of around 15km, my ship started to fire mosquitoes automatically.
Now I understand why they are called mosquitoes - all they did was fly in circles around the shadow missiles, exploding harmlessly a couple of seconds later after not hitting anything whatsoever.
As far as I could have observed, not a single shadow missile was destroyed by the scores of mosquitoes that were fired at them.
Is anyone else experiencing this? did I install something incorrectly? How do I deal with such massive volumes of heavy missiles? Is there any mod that balances missiles so that you could at least defend against them in a CAPITAL SHIP?

Litcube
xr

Re: The MDM script is utterly useless

Post by Litcube » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 18:25

Lolpingu wrote: How do I deal with such massive volumes of heavy missiles? Is there any mod that balances missiles so that you could at least defend against them in a CAPITAL SHIP?
https://code.google.com/p/litcubesunive ... le_Defence

Lolpingu

Post by Lolpingu » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 18:35

Litcube wrote:
Lolpingu wrote: How do I deal with such massive volumes of heavy missiles? Is there any mod that balances missiles so that you could at least defend against them in a CAPITAL SHIP?

That doesn't help with the fact that that Mosquito missiles are incapable of actually hitting other missiles.
As I've mentioned before, they just flail around enemy missiles and explode harmlessly, never hitting their targets.

Tahlmorra
x4

Post by Tahlmorra » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 18:39

Lolpingu wrote:
Litcube wrote:

That doesn't help with the fact that that Mosquito missiles are incapable of actually hitting other missiles.
As I've mentioned before, they just flail around enemy missiles and explode harmlessly, never hitting their targets.
Did you watch the video at that link? LU fixes that problem...

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 19:04

Yeah, it's this kind of shit that makes me want to go back to bed.

Lolpingu

Post by Lolpingu » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 19:05

Tahlmorra wrote:
Lolpingu wrote:
Litcube wrote:

Ahhhhhh, I see now, I didn't realize it's a video referring to a mod. I just didn't see the top left link. I'll try it, though seeing the massive scale of the mod, I'm left with one question: do I need to start a new game? I'm not too thrilled about the thought of making another 100m for a Boreas

Tahlmorra
x4

Post by Tahlmorra » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 19:44

Lolpingu wrote:
Tahlmorra wrote:
Lolpingu wrote:
Litcube wrote:

Ahhhhhh, I see now, I didn't realize it's a video referring to a mod. I just didn't see the top left link. I'll try it, though seeing the massive scale of the mod, I'm left with one question: do I need to start a new game? I'm not too thrilled about the thought of making another 100m for a Boreas
Yeah, you will. On the flip side, however, LU's Export/Import function means that you wont have to restart when patches are released. I'm still running my LU 1.0.0 game in 1.3.4.

Lolpingu

Post by Lolpingu » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 19:58

Tahlmorra wrote:
Lolpingu wrote:
Tahlmorra wrote:
Lolpingu wrote:
Litcube wrote:

Yeah, you will. On the flip side, however, LU's Export/Import function means that you wont have to restart when patches are released. I'm still running my LU 1.0.0 game in 1.3.4.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 5. Sep 14, 22:51

"by the scores of mosquitoes ..." This could be the problem. In vanilla and maybe also, but to a lesser extent, in some mods such as LU, the more guided missiles are flying at the same time, the less effective each missile becomes. The single core running the game shares its attention serially between each missile, ship and object running scripts and so the guidance precision and hit detection of each missile degrade or fail between cpu attention periods (or display frames as fps suffers). Looping or actually passing right through the target's body are symptoms of this.

Unintuitively, I have found that fewer missiles in the air at one time are far more effective than lots of them. (This is true of Flail missiles too.)

Also never save while your missiles are in flight if you can help it. On reloading such a save, the missiles in flight will perform very badly, as will any others that you launch before all other flying missiles have been removed from the game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”