[X3AP] Can I run multiple Instances?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

NewtSoup
x4

[X3AP] Can I run multiple Instances?

Post by NewtSoup » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 15:34

As the title says -

Can I run more than once instance of the game at a time - Steam says no, but is there a hidden setting somewhere I can change that will allow it?

I want to play my normal save in on instance and then use the save with the script editor running in the second.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 16:16

Provided that your PC is powerful enough, you should be able to start two instances of the game at the same time. If Steam doesn't let you start the game a second time, when it runs already, download the Steam free exe and start the game with it.
I could imagine that running two instances of the same game does have negative effects though. For example, when both instances call the same file. But that is pure guesswork from my side. If you just want to write scripts while running and proceeding with a vanilla game, then another solution would be using one of the external script editors, which are available in the Scripts and Modding forum.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Thu, 28. Aug 14, 16:27

Thanks, My PC should be powerful enough Core i5 with 16gb ram

Vanilla and script editing is exactly what I want to do. I will look at the external editors but as I'm just staring my foray into scripting for X3 (yes I'm late to the party I know :D ) I like to be able to test my code on the fly.

I'll give the no steam thingy a go.

Thanks Illuminatus

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 2. Sep 14, 17:33

Just to confirm -

I have been running AP for several days now two clients at a time.

I have experienced no file problems or conflicts when doing this.

I am running a no-steam exe for scripting and the Steam version simultaneously for vanilla play with no conflicts.

This also means those interested in Steam achievements can get them.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”