Question: Reasons for rude dialouge?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Tue, 1. Jul 14, 22:30

pirke123 wrote:When getting new crew on board "how does your copilot deal with all the sweaty male clothes back here"?

All smalltalk texts are really bad, repetitive and annoying. Many other texts as well. I do think the actor of Ren Otani is the best one, and I don't mind him speaking.
Ditto. The voices of Ren Otani & Yisha isn't so bad.

But what I like best is that they have at least a script that sounds like it's resembling a "normal" interaction between people, when they are talking.

I've not advanced far into the story (not built URV wharf), so I might be thrown a curveball later on
Sure glad I didn't purchase a new computer this release.

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Fri, 4. Jul 14, 15:42

The dialogue is very reminiscent of Freelancer.
Then again, a lot of X:R reminds me of freelancer, or at least inspired by it. :)

Sturmhardt
x4

Post by Sturmhardt » Fri, 4. Jul 14, 21:47

IN GERMANY THIS IS ****** POLITE SO GET USED TO IT, JA?

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Sat, 5. Jul 14, 01:37

Sturmhardt wrote:IN GERMANY THIS IS ****** POLITE SO GET USED TO IT, JA?
:rofl:

yep, that must be the explanation. Alternatively, the script was written by a bunch of juveniles for juveniles, who still think it is cool to insult everyone in sight. Rude and abusive language and mannerism is generally displayed by people who enjoy being rude and confrontational.

<sarcasm mode on> Great sense of humour eh? Those egosoft guys just crack me up sometimes with their witty intelligent sense of what is cool in a game. <sarcasm mode off>

The script / dialogue is so ugly it is too embarrassing to play within earshot of anyone.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

Boringnick
x3tc

Post by Boringnick » Sat, 12. Jul 14, 18:13

That's not a translation issue. Actually, in German the game sound even worse.

See:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 23#4245319

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Sat, 12. Jul 14, 19:15

[ external image ]

;)

It's less about Germans being rude/polite, and more about having npcs saying stuff that makes me want to close the game due to the sheer stupidty of what they spout.

So they could have all the npc convos spoken by narwhales and it would be as "immersive" as it is now. It's one of the areas egosoft would get a few freebie metacritic points if they had chosen to actually put some more effort into it....

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Sun, 13. Jul 14, 14:29

They don't even qualifies as traders. They are just a bunch of smuglers hiding inside stations. The shipbuilder agent sits in a barrack. The whole trading is a surrealistic at best....

- Heya. I'm a shoeshop salesman without actually a shop to back me up. But you re welcomed to buy from me or NOT because I don't like your smell....

I think i got some IQ to learn a language all on my own but I rather not learning this shit-talk in our new shiny X universe.....
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

azile0
xr

Post by azile0 » Mon, 14. Jul 14, 18:02

Is it possible to change the spoken language to German while keeping English subtitles? I do that with the STALKER games, because I feel that foreign games should be played in their native language. Or this happens.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 14. Jul 14, 18:22

:lol:

Thanks for the laugh...

I think rudeness is an attempt to give you the rookie feeling at game start.
I'm sure they planned some voices with other attitude as rep or plot advances, but time is short..

I appreciate the concept, wish it was finished and more polished though. Not that this could have any priority now, but still.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 14. Jul 14, 22:06

Boringnick wrote:That's not a translation issue. Actually, in German the game sound even worse.

See:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 23#4245319

I had wondered during the Plot why the Women in the Scaldis at the Super Highway to Molten Archon makes a Faulty Towers reference?

Not that I didn't laugh.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Patholos
x4

Post by Patholos » Mon, 14. Jul 14, 22:54

pref wrote:
:lol:

Thanks for the laugh...

I think rudeness is an attempt to give you the rookie feeling at game start.
I'm sure they planned some voices with other attitude as rep or plot advances, but time is short..

I appreciate the concept, wish it was finished and more polished though. Not that this could have any priority now, but still.
In fact, there's a helluva lot of soundfiles for the npcs if you unpack the cat/dats. Most I've never heard before, some are a bit more neutral and some are the same rude stuff we hear ingame.

Ausplat
x4

Post by Ausplat » Sun, 20. Jul 14, 23:57

That's a sound decision, coming from YOU!

Some of us deserve it though, I mean they probably had friends on those capships...

Ravenhurst

Post by Ravenhurst » Thu, 24. Jul 14, 03:15

tip: enter a small shop wearing sunglasses and a leather jacket and say
"SHOW ME YOUR WAREZ" with a Terminator accent

priceless

exelsiar
x3tc

Post by exelsiar » Thu, 24. Jul 14, 23:22

Anyone else actually getting demoralised by the constant npc insults? no? just me? -sigh-
Living in a land of make believe. Making peoples dreams die 1 by 1.

Zothen

Post by Zothen » Thu, 24. Jul 14, 23:53

theeclownbroze wrote:What gives?

I'll tell ya, egosoft is lacking in the mo-cap and general social linguistic department, the general dialogue is very shallow and also the language barrier is a problem too, what might sound funny or light hearted in german might not come across the same way in english.
Sorry, but Im german and the dialogues are pure crap. Language barriers? Barely. German kids learn english at school for many, many decades. At best this looks and feels like a bad joke of a sound designer who wasnt paid after finishing his job.

For me it depicts exactly how Egosoft treats their customers. Like shit.

bmtv0957
x4

Post by bmtv0957 » Fri, 25. Jul 14, 01:09

Other dialogue that annoys me is the are the ships attacking you... they start complaining and whining when you fire back. Most of the messages are cries for assistance, why are they even transmitting those to you?! Maybe you should try contacting your fellow raiders for assistance, and not the person you're attacking?

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Sun, 27. Jul 14, 02:21

Palanor wrote:and "Show me ... and i do mean everything " either put a button or option for her to disrobe or change it
Haha! An option to disrobe, hahaha!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”