[MOD] Observation Deck

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

42parsec

[MOD] Observation Deck

Post by 42parsec » Wed, 21. May 14, 13:00

Thanks to the help of the community, i am proud to present my first mod:

Observation Deck

Have you ever stood on the repairdock-platform which you dock on every cap ship and thought ... "i think i actually could take in more of this scene and also enjoy it and emerse myself in the feeling of being on a forcefield protected platform in space if only that big shipe and all that other engineering bay stuff would not cover 65% of my fov all the time!"

Then this is for you.

[ external image ]

This mod changes the basic appearance of the standard capship docking bay. It actually does:

>remove the Albion Skunk model
>remove all loot containers,
>remove all other decorational containers,
>move the NPCs to more appropriate Positions for a "bridge",
>Change the player spawnpoint after docking.

THX UniTrader and YorrickVander for their tipps/great resources.

P.S.
youve GOT TO listen to this:The Heavy - Short Change Hero

EDIT:

The mod now comes in two flavours.
1.without Albion Skunk model.
2.with Albion Skunk model left in place.
Last edited by 42parsec on Thu, 22. May 14, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
Feel free to ping me on ICQ or parsec@freenode if im on

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Wed, 21. May 14, 13:32

Hey bud :)

Nice work so far but on first test (docking on the lyranea from aspiring merchant start point) I was initially floating and then dropped to the floor, but outside the barrier fence so could not get to the npc staff. After much jumping about and angling I did get over it, but it's not ideal :(

I also saw a lot of these errors in the debug spew :

Code: Select all

[=ERROR=] LIBXML2: file:///extensions%2FObservationDeck%2Fassets%2Finteriors%2Frooms%2F%2Finteriors_rooms_dockingbay_repairdock?ext=pck%20xml line 28, error 76: Opening and ending tag mismatch: rotation line 27 and offset

rotation
offset
EDIT : As a personal preference I'd like to still have the skunk in place, but with the rest of the mod as is. Would you consider making 2 versions with and without the skunk?
X Rebirth - A Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Product

Split irritate visiting pilot with strange vocal patterns.

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Wed, 21. May 14, 14:41

Ive reuploaded the file .. should work without spew now and place you where intended :)

and yes ... i am willing to make two versions :)

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Wed, 21. May 14, 14:47

Outstanding service! Thanks mate.

Privata
x4

Post by Privata » Wed, 21. May 14, 14:48

I dont know if its possible , but I have been trying but allways failed.
you know in some argon stations there a controle room that looks like a deck , it has a sort of window thats all black , wonder if it would be possible to put that there instead of the circular platforms for our ships but remove the black bit of window , then it would look just like a real bridge.

the reason I ask is it seems that each room for a station is a seperate item , so in theroy it would work , but again I never got that to work

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Wed, 21. May 14, 15:25

Second version file with Albion Skunk and playerspawnpoint left in place is up now.
Privata wrote: the reason I ask is it seems that each room for a station is a seperate item , so in theroy it would work , but again I never got that to work
Yeah .. im too working on exactly the same problem atm .. placing of "foreign" objects.

Look ye here
Last edited by 42parsec on Wed, 21. May 14, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Wed, 21. May 14, 15:26

Now I wonder if that would be possible, Imagine docking the skunk and then finding yourself on the bridge of the big ship, able to look out the windows etc :)

Anyway thanks for this, have downloaded it and will use it :)

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Wed, 21. May 14, 15:36

Mate ... thats exactly what i am trying to achieve .... i loved the cockpit mods in x3 ... floating in space without bridge allways made me feel a little ... too little .... especially when i was flying around in an M2+ i simply needed the extra kick that only a capship bridge could give you ....

and then X:R was announced .. and i saw screenshots of NPCs labeled "Pilot" and stuff... and i only thought :o SERIOUSLY ?! :o I finally will be able to WALK AROUND the bridge of my own capship?!?!?!?! ... that was before i realized that there will be only one ship to steer :cry: .. but regardless of that, i would love to see at least one capship bridge realized in the near future ..

But as ive allready stated elsewhere, my modding experience is pretty meager .. and i will need some time to get where i want to go ..

:)

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Wed, 21. May 14, 15:57

I don't mind not being able to control the big ships myself (as in control them like the skunk) - but having somewhere I can stand and look out at everything would be amazing :)
Even just putting a shipping crate with windows on top of that cargo bay would be enough :lol:

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 21. May 14, 16:02

Been waiting for a mod like this to come along, thanks a lot!

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Wed, 21. May 14, 16:19

NZ-Wanderer wrote: Even just putting a shipping crate with windows on top of that cargo bay would be enough :lol:
You nearly made me cough out my coffe again XD
MegaJohnny wrote:Been waiting for a mod like this to come along, thanks a lot!
YW :)

fallhammer

Excellent MOD

Post by fallhammer » Wed, 21. May 14, 20:51

I just wanted to say what an excellent MOD and bravo for your first one.. I am looking forward to what you may come up with next (real bridge?)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Space Monkey Testing Guild

"We Never Go Home"

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Thu, 22. May 14, 03:49

What if you landed us where we land now BUT on top of that hanger/cargo bay piece :)
Would we fall through?
If we didn't it would give us a little more height :)

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Thu, 22. May 14, 11:46

NZ-Wanderer wrote:What if you landed us where we land now BUT on top of that hanger/cargo bay piece :)
Would we fall through?
I havent tried that yet.. Will do when i get home tonight..

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 22. May 14, 12:12

42parsec wrote:
NZ-Wanderer wrote:What if you landed us where we land now BUT on top of that hanger/cargo bay piece :)
Would we fall through?
I havent tried that yet.. Will do when i get home tonight..
you will "fall out of Level" when going up there, because there is a height limit which is defied by the higest Object in the Dock - the player cannt get higher its highest Point - therefore i would recommend to place some small object floating high above the Platform so Players wont notice it ;) (previousliy the Skunk had that role)

PS sorry i didnt upload the Plush Jeb Mod yesterday, didnt have the time for that.. probably today will be the same, but this WE i shoulf have the time
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Thu, 22. May 14, 14:29

Wow... Thanks for that info Uni :thumb_up: ... now i understand why i respawn if i climb up the holoprojector and jump ...

I will push a bugfix today ..

YorrickVander
x4

Post by YorrickVander » Thu, 22. May 14, 20:35

Found a bit of a bug in plot with the mod running - the badlands dock needed to repair the skunk is also covered and breaks the position for the quest engineer + the box of parts needed to continue the plot :(

NZ-Wanderer
x4

Post by NZ-Wanderer » Thu, 22. May 14, 22:10

YorrickVander wrote:Found a bit of a bug in plot with the mod running - the badlands dock needed to repair the skunk is also covered and breaks the position for the quest engineer + the box of parts needed to continue the plot :(
Hmm maybe a warning in the OP saying that this mod cannot be used for plot games :)

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 23. May 14, 00:08

NZ-Wanderer wrote:
YorrickVander wrote:Found a bit of a bug in plot with the mod running - the badlands dock needed to repair the skunk is also covered and breaks the position for the quest engineer + the box of parts needed to continue the plot :(
Hmm maybe a warning in the OP saying that this mod cannot be used for plot games :)
or better a bugfix which limits the Observation Deck to Ships (or adds it as seperate Dock on Ships - 2 ore more are no problem ;) )
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

42parsec

Post by 42parsec » Fri, 23. May 14, 01:01

UniTrader wrote: or better a bugfix which limits the Observation Deck to Ships (or adds it as seperate Dock on Ships - 2 ore more are no problem ;) )
That would be great, thats true .. but i am completely overstrained with finding how to define which worldspace should be loaded when the docking option on the docking port is selected... and to even think about adding a whole new menunode is like me being in the us in the 60s and working for the nasa on the apollo mission... :D
Feel free to ping me on ICQ or parsec@freenode if im on

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”