X3TC Walkthrough Video Tutorial Series

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

daviddowner
x3

Post by daviddowner » Wed, 4. Apr 12, 19:04

Hm, I think my subscription to my own thread was broken as I haven't seen these responses until just now. Thank you all for the posts - much appreciated :D

Nor Mantis
xr

Post by Nor Mantis » Fri, 20. Apr 12, 02:20

Thank you daviddowner for making some excellent videos!

I am new to the forums and new to the X series. I purchased the X: Superbox off steam a few weeks back and have not been able to pull myself away ever since. I cannot believe I have never heard of these games before.

I started off with X: Beyond the Frontier with the idea of just checking it out thinking I would not enjoy a game so old. But after 70 hours I was finishing up the story line and itching for more. So next I fired up X3AP. Thinking I knew what I was doing I played about 50 hours and was doing OK. Then I stumbled across these videos. They not only showed me allot of stuff I didn’t know but also made me realize how much these games offer.

So with daviddowners help I started a new game and I have now surpassed where I was in a fraction of time. I will be returning throughout my game looking for tips as I go since there is so much to take in 1 viewing. I also followed your let’s play but stopped it once you started getting into the plots. I want to be surprised when I get there but look forwards to seeing how you did once I experienced it for myself. A funny story, I have a friend that was watching me play and seemed interested until he said, “looks like you need to invest allot of time to get to the fun”. Well I should him your let’s play and he succeeded in capturing a ship minutes after starting a new game. Guess what, he purchased the game the next day.

I like this game allot. With daviddowners help I like it even more. I think I will stay for a while, I have a pile of X: games to play through.

Thanks Again
Nor
Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned

Tosei
x3

Post by Tosei » Sun, 15. Jul 12, 20:14

Absolutely awesome tutorial! You have done a great job daviddowner!

I really appreciate this. I played a little several years ago but was overwhelmed and stopped almost immediately.

Now I picked it up again and I feel much more secure about the interface and everything you can do after watching your videos.

I wish this forum had a reputation system. You would definitely get a +1 from me.

:)

A heartfelt thank you from a grateful guy in Sweden.

original182
x3tc

Post by original182 » Mon, 13. Aug 12, 17:19

Thank you for the videos. A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth a thousand pictures, so the videos definitely help, as the manual has too much text which could be explained with pictures, such as the interface.

If possible, could you group your videos into beginner, intermediate, and expert?

I've only watched a few videos, and it was already quite taxing, as we are dealing with hours of videos. The beginner videos can just explain basic stuff like the interface, navigation, how to get missions and simple combat and trading.

Things like building the station can be in intermediate and expert.

daviddowner
x3

Post by daviddowner » Tue, 14. Aug 12, 13:25

Original, I guess I could apply some sort of brackets that way, but in effect, the videos are already arranged in progressive fashion. Video 1 is absolute beginner, and each video (IMHO) builds on the last. This is such a huge game, with so much information to cover - and different people approach it very differently (some just want to have a large trading empire, some want to conquer the universe.)

I was hoping that you could just look at the titles on the main index in my forum thread for the exact topic you're looking for and jump straight to the needed information. I'll take another look at some possibilities.

The 'Basics' are really in video 1 and 2. Then if you want to focus on trading, continue with 3&4 then jump down to 10 and continue. However, if you just want to blow $#@% up, jump to video 6 etc.

weltall2
x3ap

Post by weltall2 » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 14:17

You videos helped me to understand really fast how a lot things works. Guides are great on here and very helpful and detailed but seeing how it actually is done is the best for me (I am not that smart :P ). Thanks a ton for all the videos, they made me enjoy the X game faster without frustration and FINALLY learn that I have to set a homebase to my freighters if I want them to work for a specific station :lol:

Tzukasa7
x3tc

Post by Tzukasa7 » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 06:33

I'm sorry but this is just Terrible. I don't even know where to begin. You just assume that ppl know how to navigate and operate the UI screens, you don't properly explain how your doing things and the biggest prob is your Constantly using hotkeys not the mouse making it Impossible to properly follow what your doing and how. I'm mean seriously the #1 rule in making a tutorial is never use hotkeys always the mouse so people can follow along and see how you are doing what your doing. That alone makes these vids beyond Worthless. I cannot tell you how many times watching this I thought "HOW THE **** DID YOU JUST DO THAT". Worst tutorial I've EVER seen. -1000

shawnburton
x4

Post by shawnburton » Fri, 24. Aug 12, 18:31

Yeah!!! You Have To Teach Everyone Hot Keys and Every Step of Hows to Play. This Video Seeereees Shuld Have Ben 82 Videeos Long. I'm Mean.. Come On! How Does I use That Keyboard?! All Your Vids are Belongs To Suck!
  • heheh.. sorry Tzukasa7.. you should use 'Preview' to read your own posts before hitting 'Submit' to make sure you don't sound like.. well.. this
@David - I'm in technology and often have to explain complex concepts to non-technical people, and I think you approached the complexity brilliantly. You didn't diverge from the topic a lot, and when you did it was relevant. I learned the very basics by flying a few missions and clicking around the GUI some, and then when I had some basic knowledge, I watched your series to bring it all together. I feel that you flattened the learning curve quite a bit for me. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

If you get a lot of posts like the one above, you might consider putting in a disclaimer.. 'WARNING: This series does not contain ALL of the information that you need to be successful in the X Universe. This is intended to supplement the manual and forums, and shows my personal play style in hopes of contributing to your learning curve. Be aware that X is more of a simulation than a game and may not be for everyone.'

And by the way.. I put together a Voice Activated Commands(VAC) profile just after watching your series. So I can say 'Sector Map' and key ( . ) executes for me.. but more importantly I can say 'Find wares in sector' and keys (SHIFT+C, 4, 1, ENTER, ESC, ESC) executes. It really adds to the immersion when I can say 'Computer analyze target' while still fighting. My wife probably thinks I have a Captain Kirk psychosis.. but oh well heheh.

Thanks again

Tukker

Thank you David. Brilliant work.

Post by Tukker » Wed, 3. Oct 12, 19:06

I explicitly created an account here to say thank you. This series is amazing. Very well done - your tone and delivery are perfect. An enjoyable tutorial for someone who has never played an X game before.

A++++

Sharoth
x3tc

Post by Sharoth » Thu, 13. Dec 12, 00:00

I wanted to say thank you for doing these videos, daviddowner. They are very helpful.

the ginga ninja
x4

Post by the ginga ninja » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 20:49

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just wanted to toss out another HUGE thanks to daviddowner for making these videos. They were INCREDIBLY helpful and shaved hours, if not days, off of the learning curve.

Now I'm playing the game exactly how I want, and couldn't be enjoying myself more. And to think, 5mins before I found your video series, I almost uninstalled and moved on.

There might be a lot of videos, and some may be 20 or so minutes long, but they are all worth it.
New to X? Totally frustrated because you don't know where to start? So was I. Save yourself a few hours of frustration and check out daviddowner's X3 Walkthrough! Srsly, it's worth it.

zoldos
x3ap

Post by zoldos » Sun, 7. Jul 13, 23:13

the ginga ninja wrote:Sorry to necro this thread, but I just wanted to toss out another HUGE thanks to daviddowner for making these videos. They were INCREDIBLY helpful and shaved hours, if not days, off of the learning curve.

Now I'm playing the game exactly how I want, and couldn't be enjoying myself more. And to think, 5mins before I found your video series, I almost uninstalled and moved on.

There might be a lot of videos, and some may be 20 or so minutes long, but they are all worth it.
I actually DID un-install it. lol But I found these videos thanks to another poster here on the forums and am going to delve back into the game.

Thanks OP!!! :)

HomeworldFan
x4

Post by HomeworldFan » Sun, 21. Jul 13, 11:54

Just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU!! to CdrDave for making these tutorials. I am following it as closely as I can (I didn't sell my Discoverer so I had a longer start, but it's kick-ass for scouting/mapping new sectors) and I am currently up to Video 5 and saving up for my second Mercury.

Unfortunately, no cheat scripts for me :)

One thing I do want to say is if this video series was for a beginner, maybe a few concepts or ideas of the game would've been best explained. Things such as hauling things through different sectors, or how you quickly open/close the various station tabs would help new players "get their head around the game" better/quicker.

Anyway, thank you very much for this and looking forward to getting further and further into the tutorial series and into the game!

Kantazo

Post by Kantazo » Tue, 3. Sep 13, 17:55

Sorry for necro this topic but this is an awesome set of tutorials, I just bought the game and this is a big help.

GreatSandpiper
x4

Post by GreatSandpiper » Mon, 30. Sep 13, 12:35

I'd like to thank as well, this is a great video series (and I don't typically watch "Let's plays" or other videos about other playing games typically).

I have a question regarding the game and this series as well. I see I have a "modified tag" in my personal information. I wonder where this has come from? I have just started a new game couple of days ago and I have manually traded up to around one million. I'm in video number 5 at this point and have not installed any scripts or mods to my knowledge?

Nehoss

Post by Nehoss » Thu, 13. Mar 14, 07:13

Your video are so priceless !!! It is the most enjoyable tutorial I've ever seen.
Thank you so much. :wink:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”