Value of building mass Laser tower factories ??

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tasogie
x3ap

Value of building mass Laser tower factories ??

Post by Tasogie » Mon, 13. Jan 14, 22:08

I was wondering today after having seen something about a plot battle where a guy had 450+ Laser towers defending some system. If I shouldn't start producing a Complex built around Laser towers ?.

Maybe 5-10 Factories for lasers an the support it needs to produce. This way I could ring Argon prime with Laser towers to protect myself, an sell them to everyone els.

Idea's, comments, abuse :D ?
WestHam for life (Sam Allardyce for Prime Minister)

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 13. Jan 14, 22:26

Laser towers and fighter drones are great for the last part of Final Fury plot in TC.
Laser towers are also needed to protect the Beryll in an AP plot.

Otherwise, I avoid them because of the tendency for them to go rogue.

Tasogie
x3ap

Post by Tasogie » Mon, 13. Jan 14, 23:09

what, they turn on you?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 14. Jan 14, 00:07

Laser towers sometimes miss their target and fire on friendlies.

You can soon end up with a shoot on sight status, if not checked quick enough.

I know one pilot who ended up having to cancel his game and restart, just because of that.

Tasogie
x3ap

Post by Tasogie » Tue, 14. Jan 14, 00:19

eeew, hmm not sure then, cos by looks of it, none ever has laser towers for sale, so I could make a killing. But I dont to screw my game either. maybe I could replace Laser towers with Capital warships for defence

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 14. Jan 14, 00:48

The only reason I could think of that you'd have to restart your game is if you failed to use more than one savegame slot. Seeing as there are ten slots available, plus three autosaves, you shouldn't have any such problem. That pilot TTD referred to probably was a bit lax in his save strategy. Don't avoid something that could be fun just because someone else may have had a [self-inflicted?] problem with it. :P

As for lasertowers, some people don't understand how to use them, so they get into trouble. IMO, they're great for certain applications, but I'll leave that to you to discover. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Tasogie
x3ap

Post by Tasogie » Tue, 14. Jan 14, 03:36

hehe ok, an your right, I will do it an see what happens. I didn't like the idea of having to build hundreds of Capitals as defenses, nor the cost of it.

Sounds like I have something to "discover" for myself lol

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Tue, 14. Jan 14, 05:47

I use lots of 'em in Xenon sectors.... :twisted:
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 15. Jan 14, 20:44

Vanilla laser towers are solid IS... its just they aren't worth much OOS. OOS combat is point blank.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”