[SCR] [X3AP] Drone Mining and Trading System v1.2.2 [UPDATED 11/08/2014]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

zanzal
x3tc

[SCR] [X3AP] Drone Mining and Trading System v1.2.2 [UPDATED 11/08/2014]

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 02:53

Drone Mining and Trading System

Background

The Drone Mining and trading system is a set of open source tools for turning a TL or other large carrier into a fully automated mobile mining solution that uses common Freight Drones as the primary means of collecting and trading minerals.

System Requirements

Minimum Requirements:

Trade Command Software MK3
Minimum of 1 Freight Drone

Upgrades:

The built in software will take control of the TL and direct it to nearby docks to attempt to purchase and install Jumpdrive, Transporter Device, Ore Collector, Mineral Scanner, Duplex Scanner, up to 100 freight drones, up to 20 Fighter Drone MK2 or Keris depending on your setting, and a few other minor upgrades. Please ensure that you or the ship's homebase have atleast 5 to 10 million in credits prior to starting this command.

Instructions

The Drone Mine and Trade command can be accessed from the Trade Command menu of any TL/carrier class ship with the Trade Command Software MK3.

Modes of Operation:

Mine and Trade - The TL will go to the designated mining sector and begin collecting rocks using its freight drones as repurposed mining drones. When the cargo bay is full, the ship will

a) fill the homebase with minerals up to the amount you specified in the configuration settings (default is none)
b) sell the rest of the minerals using freight drones to trade with factories.

NOTE: Selling wares with freight drones can be less efficient due to the smaller amounts transactions. For example, if you sell 1000 units of Ore to a factory with 10 freight drones, the factory will automatically reduce its price after each drone sells, thus netting significantly less than average price. This is made up for by the fact that the TL can quickly unload its minerals to multiple factories simultaneously.

Collect for Homebase - Use this command if you only want your TL to mine and dump minerals at the homebase. You can use this option if you prefer to assign other traders (CAGs, OK Traders, etc.) to take care of the trading as these traders will usually net you better prices.

Collect and Wait For Further Instructions - For those who prefer to manage their miners a little more closely.

Settings

Mining Sector - You will have to tell your Drone Miners which sector they are to mine in.

Mineral Settings - Each mineral type (Ore, Silicon, Nividium, and Ice) can be turned on or off. So you can have your traders collecting only a specific mineral or all minerals.

Keep Mineral Stocked - An amount for each mineral that will be stocked up too prior to performing a trade run. This allows you to use a miner as both a resource gatherer and an independent trader at the same time.

Bust Asteroids - Disabled by default. This setting lets you choose a yield threshold from 0 (disabled) to 19 yield. Any asteroid with that yield or lower can be automatically busted for minerals. I recommend keeping this setting at 9 or below. The script will attempt to find the lowest yield asteroid and work its way up. It also respects the mineral types you've chosen for the miner.

Example Configuration

As an example, you can set your Miner to collect Ore and Nividum, homebase it to your PHQ, then tell it to keep Nividium stocked at 999,999,999 and ore stocked at 50,000 then it will continually sell ore when your PHQ has 50k ore, but will always store the Nividium it finds in your PHQ until your PHQ runs out of space for it. You could also use it to supply a factory using similar logic, by telling it how much ore and silicon the factory needs to keep on hand the Mine and Trade thus becomes a fire and forget way to handle mineral gathering (at least until the sector its mining runs dry.)

Known Issues

The Drone Miner does not work properly when the TL is home based to a station that does not have a capital docking port.

Other Features

Each Drone Miner will use its friend / foe settings to determine whether to treat a particular faction as hostile or its territory off limits. For example, if you are friends with both the Terrans and the Argons then the Drone Miners will not recognize the war fleets as being hostile. However, if you set one faction to Foe then the presence of that faction within scanner range of the Drone Miner should trigger defensive actions when trading minerals.

NEW IN 1.2 - Automatic integration with the Mk3 Blacklist Manager blacklist. So if you use the Mk3 blacklist from the bonus pack then the Drone Miner will not choose a blacklisted sector or station as its trade or refuel destinations.
Last edited by zanzal on Sat, 8. Nov 14, 09:27, edited 17 times in total.

zanzal
x3tc

Purpose

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 03:02

I wanted to share my thoughts and intent in creating this mod so that others would understand what they can use it for and why it is different than other mining scripts.

Inspired by OK Traders, the purpose of this mod is to restore mobile mining to some level of profitability and is intended for use primarily in an XRM-based universe. I found in XRM there isn't really a good way to make money in mobile mining and there are so many better things one could do with credits that mobile mining in XRM was a complete waste of time.

In my first XRM game I spent over 150million on a mobile mining fleet only to find they couldn't even make 300k credits per hour. This script changes that. Using common freight drones and a large TL you can easy clear away sectors and turn free minerals into cash. Imagine 20 TLs with 100 drones each strip mining sectors forcing you to move your fleet and interact with other parts of the universe to get more minerals for your factories and HQ. That is what this mod is about.

Links

Download Drone Miner Version 1.2.2
GitHub Page

Old Versions:

Older Stable Version 1.1.2

Add-ons:

Better Mineral Scanner - Improves the player's mineral scanner to be more useful

Did you ever want to start a new game building your empire up starting as a mineral prospector? This is the script you need to make use of that mineral scanner. The script sets up a hotkey you can use to activate the internal scanner automatically as you approach roids and it automatically targets debris of the selected time. Just use the hot key to cycle through the mineral types to the mineral you are looking for. Then as you fly around if you approach a debris field and your ship has no active target then the target will automatically switch to the nearest debris within mineral scanner range. NOTE: It will not switch targets if your currently targetting something else. So make sure you deselect any active targets before sweeping a debris field looking for minerals.

Freight Drone Production - Produce Freight Drones at the PHQ

A little script I made for Echofinder. Run the script on the PHQ from the Command window. It will prompt you to purchase the Freight Drone blueprint for 1 million cr and while running collects freight drones made after production.

Compatibility

X3AP XRM: Yes
X3AP Vanilla: Yes
CODEA: Patch Required - Download
Litcube's Universe: No
X3TC Any: No

Other Mods:

Mobile Mining Mk2

If you are looking for mobile mining using Fighters or Transports then I highly recommend Dr. Bullwinkle's Mobile Mining MK2. My script doesn't make use of Fighters or TS class ships for mining, so if you prefer mining with fighters you'll need to use Dr. B's script. Though I suppose there is no reason why you couldn't use both if you are a mobile mining fanatic.
Last edited by zanzal on Sat, 8. Nov 14, 09:27, edited 30 times in total.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 03:03

Helpful Tips and Frequently Encountered Issues

Tip 1: Make sure to keep a free docking port open on your TL/Carrier so your freight drones can dock.

Tip 2: The Drone Mine and Trade software can let you set a homebase for a TL even though this is not normally possible in Vanilla.

Tip 3: The Drone Miner uses its home base's funds to purchase upgrades. If the command won't start, make sure you have enough money!

Tip 4: Of the three commands available, Drone Mine and Trade is the most automated. It can perform the function of Collect and Dump at the home base by setting the mineral restocking quotas and a home base.

Version History

1.2.2 - Released - 11/8/2014

+ Corrected a nasty lock up bug introduced in 1.1.4

1.2.1 - Released - 11/4/2014

+ Fixes bug sometimes encountered while purchasing equipment/software upgrades.

1.2 - Released - 10/27/2014

+ Automatically supports the Mk3 Blacklist Manager from the bonus pack (requested by Coinkidoink)
+ Choice of Keris or Fighter Drone Mk2 for breaking rocks (requested by Nemesis_87)

1.1.4 - Released - 10/11/2014

+ Fixed drone miner should no longer unload its ecells or any shield 200mj or higher (reported by Tiber Septim)

1.1.2 - Released - 3/22/2014

+ Fixed Drone Miner with a triplex/military scanner no longer tries to buy a duplex/advanced scanner (reported by Zaknafein).
+ Added a German language file with English texts to prevent readtext errors for German players (reported by Zaknafein).

1.1.1 - Released - 2/14/2014

+ Fixed Drone Miner mining right in front of a gate (reported by Figge04)

1.1 - Hotfixed - 1/12/2014

+ Fixed Fighter Drone Mk2 working themselves to death (reported by d_ka)

1.1 - Released - 1/9/2014

+ Fixed not buying equipment at EQ docks (reported by ManticoreMig)
+ Fixed bugs with Bust Roid setting - it now works fine.
+ Fixed (freighter) drones working themselves to death.
+ Fixed mis-reporting no minerals in sector when in fact there were.
+ No longer tries to collect yield 0 rocks.
+ Using the 'recall drones and stop' command no longer triggers a return to homebase.
+ Now jumps to closest gate to destination when shopping for goods.
+ Will still complete a trade run when it has to stop mining early because the sector is cleared of minerals.
+ New Feature: You can now tell it how many drones to buy: 20-100 for Freight Drones, and 5-20 for Fighter Drone Mk2 (requested by Zaknafein)
+ And a few more bugs that I didn't think to document before crushing.

1.0 - Hotfixed - 1/6/2014

+ Fixed Some Misreported Status Messages (Destination set when mining)
+ Refuel check will now occur before starting mining
+ Free cargo space calculation will now save some space for jumpfuel.

1.0 - First Release - 1/4/2014

Please report any difficulties you experience using this script. I will try to make improvements based on feedback. Current plans are to implement a Universe Miner option sometime in the distant future. However, since I have no pressing need it may not be for awhile.

License

This version of Drone Mine and Trade is licensed as CC-BY-SA version 4.0 International. You have the right to modify and release modifications without asking me. You don't need to get my permission or notify me in any way. You are obligated to mention Zanzal as the origin of the script and to provide others with these same rights and obligations to your modified version (they would have to mention your name as well as my name in their modified versions). You may only combine this script with a larger work if your larger work also shares a compatible license that meets these obligations and confers these rights. Modified versions must not be released under the exact same name to avoid confusion. Your modified version must be called something other than 'Drone Mining and Trading.'
Last edited by zanzal on Wed, 3. Dec 14, 04:03, edited 23 times in total.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 05:42

Nice one zanzal. Finally a use for freight drones

d_ka
x3ap

Post by d_ka » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 06:42

Sounds really good @ zanzal. I alway wanted a simple, but efficient script for mining since i mostly play a heavily fighting oriented games ( XRM player myself ).
But i´d like to ask some questions:

1. By any minerals you mean Nividium too?
2. Striping the sector means the ressources available there are not endless, and will not replenish ( aka respawn after a while )?
3. Can i pre outfit my TL, or does it have to buy all the software ( and drones ) itself?
4. Performance hit rate? I have already plenty of scripts installed, and i rely on my laptop for now, just to be sure ;)
"Only fools seek power, and only the greatest fools seek it through force".

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 07:00

d_ka wrote:1. By any minerals you mean Nividium too?
Yep. Even ice but I've not encountered any free floating ice in sectors yet. You can basically configure it to collect multiple minerals or you could assign each one only a single mineral to collect.
d_ka wrote:2. Striping the sector means the ressources available there are not endless, and will not replenish ( aka respawn after a while )?
No rocks aren't regenerating from what I can tell in X3AP.. TC wasn't like that though if I remember correctly. That is a good thing though IMO. I've got LoCo in my universe, so I doubt I will ever have time to really strip mine the entire thing. You'd be surprised how long it takes to clear a sector.
d_ka wrote:3. Can i pre outfit my TL, or does it have to buy all the software ( and drones ) itself?
You will need to set turret commands (don't use Smart on them turrets if your busting roids), equip shields, weapons, and the mk3 trading software. Everything else it takes care of. It uses its first freight drone to buy more drone, but if you want to manually load it up with more than 1 drone it will save it a little time.
d_ka wrote:4. Performance hit rate? I have already plenty of scripts installed, and i rely on my laptop for now, just to be sure ;)
IDK. This will probably need feedback from others. I really doubt you'll have any issues out of sector. Now, if you have 20 TLs with 2000 drones in sector then I am sure it will hurt your FPS.

d_ka
x3ap

Post by d_ka » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 07:53

Since i haven´t done any mobile mining yet, which rocks exactly do you mean to be collected? The ones free floating in sector, and/or the ones spawning after a destruction of a solid asteroid ( with a Hornet missile, iirc )?
So, do i have to do it myself, or will the TL in question be able to "generate" those rocks from solid asteroids; or will the drones will be able to "mine" a solid rock, instead of me planting a mine on it? I´m a bit confused here, sorry for my noobness :oops:
Concerning the respawning rocks: if i blow up solid asteroids to generate collectable rocks, wouldn´t those asteroids respawn after a while, even in AP? I, too, consider the rocks not respawning a rather good thing, brings more realism, and immersion, imo.

So, enough question for now, and thanks for your answers :)

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 08:22

Mobile mining is pretty much always about collecting free floating rocks that appear in sectors. These are the ones that are smaller than asteroids and do not appear on the map.

By default the script doesn't mess with asteroids. Though because I get annoyed at seeing fifty 6-yield asteroids in a sector, I do have an option that allows them to break low-yield roids to make more rocks. Breaking roids is a feature that hasn't been properly tested and I don't recommend using it right now until I've had a chance to ensure that it is working properly. (I don't use the cheat package so to test something I actually have to meet the conditions first.. my 2 TLs are still clearing the oort cloud of rocks and roids don't get broken until there are no rocks left.)

Regarding the respawning of the large asteroids - no they don't appear to respawn in AP. I busted up the Kuiper belt good in my last game and after 3-4 days they had never respawned. So I am confident that if you destroy an asteroid in AP that it will be gone for good.

Zaknafein
xr

Post by Zaknafein » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 13:02

what a coincidence, exactly what i was looking for the last days. i tried lucikes prospectors but they are just a pain. slow and buggy. tried the vanilla command and it seems to work but your script is more immersive in my opinion.

so a few questions:
1. i only want to collect the small rocks to get rid of them in my home sectors, so as i understand in your answer to d_ka this script wont destroy asteroids by default right?
2. what about non collectable rocks that need to be shot down to smaller pieces? can the drones still collect them?
3. can i restrict the amount of drones it buys?
(i dont want my homesector to be filled with 100 freight drones since im often insector. also fight drones are not rly needed there but i dont care about a few of them in cargo)
Ofc ***modified***, modders doing what Egosoft cant.

Figge04
x4

Post by Figge04 » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 13:37

Sounds great. I'll give it a try

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 21:10

Zaknafein wrote:1. i only want to collect the small rocks to get rid of them in my home sectors, so as i understand in your answer to d_ka this script wont destroy asteroids by default right?
No absolutely not. The setting is hidden under the 'Advanced settings' section and its called Bust Asteroids and it is disabled by default.
Zaknafein wrote:2. what about non collectable rocks that need to be shot down to smaller pieces? can the drones still collect them?
Thats what the script uses Fighter Drones MkII for.
Zaknafein wrote:3. can i restrict the amount of drones it buys?
(i dont want my homesector to be filled with 100 freight drones since im often insector. also fight drones are not rly needed there but i dont care about a few of them in cargo)
That is a good idea, I think I will add a setting to let you choose how many drones in 5 drone increments. I'll make it available in v1.1. Probably next weekend since I want to get in more bugfixes first.
Last edited by zanzal on Fri, 10. Jan 14, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Sun, 5. Jan 14, 21:29

in case anyone is curious about the Use Missiles feature, it requires Fight Command Software Mk 2 and it tells the Drone Miner to buy and defend itself and the drones using certain kinds of missiles. If you are not playing in XRM you should probably turn it off. Also, it only buys those missiles compatible with your TL so if your TL can't use any of the missiles that I chose then (Zeta, Cyclone, Hornet, Spectre, Firestorm, Omega, and Hammerhead) it will only buy mosquito missiles for use with MDM.

In XRM there is a certain TL that is capable of firing firestorm torpedos and should be quiet deadly with the right missile loadout and strategy. The use missiles option tries to take advantage of this, but it may be overkill for some.. Me, I fully expect my TLs to use deadly force to defend the Freight Drones so if you are using that certain TL and have the option turned on in v1.0 you can expect it will try to shoot down anything M6 and under if it or the drones get targeted by enemies.

Hopefully the missile cost will be offset somewhat by the XRM bounties.

ManticoreMig

Post by ManticoreMig » Tue, 7. Jan 14, 13:01

Hello zanzal,

First of all, many many many thanks for this script! I was trying to do something similar for some time but never finished it, and it wouldn't be as nice or automatic as yours.

However i've found some bugs:
- When my TL was equiping itself, it stuck in something like an infinite loop. It flew to the required equipment dock, bought the equipment, undocked, docked again, and repeated. Its description on the propriety management screen showed at all times that it was buying the same equipment (that it sucessfully bought on the first try). I didn't checked if money was deducted on each try, but by the money the TL spent, it didn't seem so.
It behaved like this when buying the ore collector and the Explorer command sotware. On both ocasions i solved the problem by stoping the TL and reissuing the command.
- Theres a Debug subtitle that appears whenever the TL buys drones, saying some kind of error (don't remember), though it buys the drones just fine.

Also some other things i found:
- it has two lists of equipement, one for needed equipement, the other for optional, but it always tries to fully equip itself
- In the test i made, it equiped itself fully, except for the fighter drones (it only bought 14, wich is neither 4 nor 20), and the mosquito missiles (not using XRM).

Other than that I find it is a spectacular script. Seeing the TL mining completly automated, selling its goods with freight drones to any station that needs them, using freight drones to buy E-Cells, Drones, etc, wherever they are available, jumping around the universe, fully automatic, is truly awsome, very well done :)

Zaknafein
xr

Post by Zaknafein » Tue, 7. Jan 14, 13:36

thx for the detailed answer
Ofc ***modified***, modders doing what Egosoft cant.

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Wed, 8. Jan 14, 00:49

Thanks for the feedback ManticoreMig. Regarding the issues I can confirm some of these remain unaddressed in the hotfix I posted last night.
ManticoreMig wrote:- When my TL was equiping itself, it stuck in something like an infinite loop. It flew to the required equipment dock, bought the equipment, undocked, docked again, and repeated. Its description on the propriety management screen showed at all times that it was buying the same equipment (that it sucessfully bought on the first try). I didn't checked if money was deducted on each try, but by the money the TL spent, it didn't seem so.
It behaved like this when buying the ore collector and the Explorer command sotware. On both ocasions i solved the problem by stoping the TL and reissuing the command.
I've seen this issue only when I didn't have enough funds on hand. Like if you homebase it to a station that has no (or low) funds in the station account, even if you have cash in your player wallet it uses the homebase account and will repeatedly redock like what you described. It sounds similar to your issue, but I am sure that restarting the script wouldn't have fixed it so there could be another cause. I'll look into it and will also be adding a low funds check.
ManticoreMig wrote:- Theres a Debug subtitle that appears whenever the TL buys drones, saying some kind of error (don't remember), though it buys the drones just fine.
The debug message should be fixed in the hotfixed version 1.0 that I uploaded late last evening.
ManticoreMig wrote:- it has two lists of equipement, one for needed equipement, the other for optional, but it always tries to fully equip itself
Yes, I've noticed sometimes it can be a little more persistent than I intended in trying to equip itself with the optional equipment. A rewrite is needed on that portion of the script. That's what I get for going on a 24 hr coding binge.
ManticoreMig wrote:- In the test i made, it equiped itself fully, except for the fighter drones (it only bought 14, wich is neither 4 nor 20), and the mosquito missiles (not using XRM).
That is intended. The way you should interpret that would be that it wants a minimum of 4 to start mining, but will settle for anywhere between 4 and 20 and should not ever buy more than 20. If it can't find any more to buy at known stations in your universe it should give up and start mining as long as it has at least 4.

[EDIT: I just remembered there was a bug fixed in the hotfix that had to do with the purchasing of Fighter Drone MK2 specifically so it might have stopped at 14 because of that bug.]

The next shopping cycle will occur prior to restarting mining (if you chose to Mine and Trade or Collect for Homebase) in which it will try and replenish to 20 again. I really think preloading it is the best bet in most cases, but also the next version will include settings to let you lower the drone cap for fighter and freight drones and that should help a bit. My main issue is that drones are fairly rare compared to other commodities, so some may have trouble if their universe only has 2-3 known factories that sell that type of drone.
ManticoreMig wrote:Other than that I find it is a spectacular script. Seeing the TL mining completly automated, selling its goods with freight drones to any station that needs them, using freight drones to buy E-Cells, Drones, etc, wherever they are available, jumping around the universe, fully automatic, is truly awsome, very well done :)
Thanks again for the kudos. I'll get these kinks worked out. Keep reporting any new issues you find and I'll work on getting them fixed. Make sure you are using the hotfixed version from yesterday as it fixes the confusing destination messages reported by the miner and should remove the [DEBUG] message that I forgot to comment out.

ManticoreMig

Post by ManticoreMig » Thu, 9. Jan 14, 11:35

zanzal wrote:The debug message should be fixed in the hotfixed version 1.0 that I uploaded late last evening.
I thought i've use the hotfixed verison, wasn't the one from 01-06?.
zanzal wrote:I've seen this issue only when I didn't have enough funds on hand. Like if you homebase it to a station that has no (or low) funds in the station account, even if you have cash in your player wallet it uses the homebase account and will repeatedly redock like what you described. It sounds similar to your issue, but I am sure that restarting the script wouldn't have fixed it so there could be another cause. I'll look into it and will also be adding a low funds check.
I had enough money in my account (general), and the TL was not homebased. I tried again with the TL homebased (to my HQ support complex), with more than enough money on the homebase account, and the behaviour was the same (got stuck when buying ore collector and explorer software).

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Thu, 9. Jan 14, 17:15

Yes, I found what was happening last night and have reworked the shopping logic to be much more intelligent. I am almost ready to release version 1.1 but I want to wait another day to make sure it is a stable release. Latest changes are available as individual files on the GitHub page, for those who absolutely must have the latest fixes (I recommend waiting though).

I anticipate a 1.1 release late tonight assuming that there are no major flaws found in tonight's testing.

ManticoreMig

Post by ManticoreMig » Thu, 9. Jan 14, 18:45

Thanks zanzal, take your time :)

zanzal
x3tc

Post by zanzal » Fri, 10. Jan 14, 06:49

Version 1.1 is now available. You can now specify how many drones the script will use. From 20 to 100 Freight Drones, and from 5 to 20 Fighter Drone Mk2. It also fixes all of the bugs that I am aware of. Please report any new issues you discover.

d_ka
x3ap

Post by d_ka » Sun, 12. Jan 14, 07:32

Hey zanzal,

finaly was able to test your script (1.0 though, iirc ), and found something:
[ external image ]
As you can see, there is no Trade Software MK3 on board of that Terran TL ( it´s the Mining Ship from XRM, so it has some eq. build in ). But nevertheless the ship can harvest minerals in my home sector. I equiped the ship with Freight + Fighter Drones MK II, so that it won´t fly through Commonwealth sectors making trouble.
So, no software MK3, but also no access to the settings, once i hit the button to collect ore ( it was simply an oversight of mine, since i had forgotten to transfer the MK3 from another TL ).

Btw: in the 1.1 version of your script, what is this small bugger ( DroneMiner.xprj ) if i may ask?
[ external image ]
vs.
[ external image ]

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”