Add Ship Boarding Combat Poll

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should A Future X Game Allow Boarding Party Tactical/FPS Combat

Hell ya, that's an awesome idea, w00t!
67%
My aim sucks and I set everything on auto-turret, I'd get slaughtered in FPS combat
No votes
No boarding party is worth the loss of a split life!
33%

Total votes: 96

beefsteaks
x2

Post by beefsteaks » Sun, 4. Apr 04, 17:34

It would mean some you cammand yourself and some you don't.

Really its no different than a game like Total War. Sometimes you command the armies manually and have a damn good time doing it, other time you focus on the tactical game and let the battles resolve themselves.

Its a matter of taste and mood really. It would be great to have the choice to choose between the styles of game as you want to though.

Sometimes you are commanding fleets and building bases and economies, other times you are running and gunning FPS style and sometimes flying around in a NOVA capping or a TS trading.

Great variety you would never get bored :)

I dont think adding it to X2 is a good idea, I would say it has to be designed that way from the start but it could be done and it would rock, probably one of the best games of all time i'd guess.

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Sun, 4. Apr 04, 18:43

Ok, my thoughts:

Capping of capital ships and stations should definetely be a real possibility.

We should be able to get a group of marines onboard a station/cap ship after beating down the shields and doing, say, 70% damage to the hull, and then teleport them inside where they take a certain amount of time to attempt to capture the station.

Meanwhile, outside, the station calls in the big guns, and a large M3 fighter group or 1 or 2 M6s jumps in to take you on, and potentially reclaim or destroy the station/cap ship if it should happen to capitulate. - The boarding party will take some basic equipment. Maybe a couple of 125Mw shields and some disposable ECells to get the shields partially up immediately.

The boarding party maths should operate like this:

Argon are plain. They have to direct bonuses or drops in attack or defence.

Boron seem peaceful, but that would make unwary invaders weaker by a small amount, this would be teladi. They would also have one major advantage though... they live underwater, meaning that all invaders have to wear big and heavy oxygen tanks which, when hit, explode. So that all non-Boron attackers have a major HP drop. - conversely the opposite is true, any Boron invaders have to have their equivalent "water supply".

Paranid, are usually good tacticians and, according to argonopedia, are very strong, so should get bonuses to chances to win, and hit point boosts. The weaknesses they have, are they can't deal well with the cold (more likely to fail in worse damaged ships) as well as being bigger (and so easier to hit). They are also the most tactical, and therefore take longest to take over a ship. In defence, they should be very tactical, and therefore slow the enemy down most.

Split, are recklessly aggressive and are fairly strong. So they should stand a good chance of capping the ship, but also destroy non-essential equipment on board in the process. They would cap the fastest. - But they would be horrible at defence as they arent tactical, and they are too aggressive. So they would be overcame easiest.

The teladi, are, well, greedy, they had somewhat armoured plates, and are small. So thats HP boosts. They can change colour, so that means they can often take the enemy by surprise, so that gives them the first shots. They move well in water (though still need an air supply), so have boosts against the Boron defenders. The drawbacks of the teladi is that they stop moving when terrified: a split or paranid could terrify them and then crush them like worms, even some more aggressive looking argons and borons could do that. They arent particularly strong or aggressive so maybe attack worse, and as they are greedy, they could strip some of the nice addons (Any component worth more than say, 50,000).
In defence, they would be roughly the same as they are in attack.

Xenon have less HP than anyone else, but are faster, and more accurate with their weapons. - They negate all atmospheric effects: boron ships are just like all other ships.

Khaak, should be very very fast, fairly well co-ordinated, not so hot at the killing, are plentiful (3vs1 type outnumbering) but have only a few "critical members", who are responsible for the whole operation, kill one of them, and their defence or attack fails.

Elite teams: A mix of all friendly races who have boosted stats and some nice equipment that helps nullify all drawbacks (like a smaller air supply or thermal suits to help warm the paranid.)

This should all be done mathematically, while you attack the incoming defence ships.

The AI would obviously need to have access to these types of things as well.

manniac
x2

Post by manniac » Sun, 4. Apr 04, 19:21

Nice idea Starnge Man. I'd really like to see a FPS engine implemented, but ohh well, if isnt posible, a AI calculus of combat will suffice too.
I dont agree with peeps that said FPS engine cant be blended with space sim one. Examples: UFO defense, X-COM Interceptor, Imperium Galactica 2, etc.
UFO defense had a tactical map, u spend most of the time, when combat occured u were loaded to combat screenq, where u could move your soldiers around in a turn based fashion.
X-COM Interceptor was similar, when combat occured u were loaded to a space sim combat, very realistic dogfight, u could have also up to 4 wingmens to lead in battle.
Imperium galagtica was a space colonization strategy game, and u had 2 distinctive types of combat: 1 in space, when 2 fleets would meet, and 2nd on ground, when u were attacking a planet. U could unload tanks, troops, etc, and they were attacking the defending buildings, taking fire, very fun.

Prolly the most realistic expectation from Ego would be to implement a system similar to Master of Orion 2. The combat was AI calculated, taking in factor race bonuses, atmospheric conditions, the weapons were used, armor, agresivness, combat experience.
With a small veteran crew, u were able to wipe out a whole planetary defense.
Magnate
Ace 1st Grade
142 ships
68 stations

unicornix
x4

boarding cross system compatibility

Post by unicornix » Fri, 11. Oct 19, 07:45

ArgonTrustedLoony wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 04, 14:14
I agree with sq_paradox, it's a really nice idea but next to impossible to implement well and although I, like sq_paradox, like FPS games many people who play sims hate them and would be really put off by having to use this method.
I def disagree, but for Egosoft to work with Bethesda, and you know, you gotta wait, the games closing uploading the specs to the sub-game (alternate engine). And for VR'ers how long you realistically gonna be deploying through the ship, before entering out ( on the new engine ) into your jetpack to cavalier onto the enemy vessel. Expect some hustling of very heavy doors i.e shutting down and booting up (a masking would be verry effective simply put)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Add Ship Boarding Combat Poll

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 11. Oct 19, 10:24

That's a 15+ year necro! <click>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”