[MOD] Helpful Directions v0.2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Swallen

[MOD] Helpful Directions v0.2

Post by Swallen » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 01:18

Helpful Directions
NPCs got a whole lot more polite!

Description
At this time, NPCs will decide whether or not to give you the directions you ask based on a random number possibility. This simple mod changes it so that anyone who is not hostile to you will respond in a more sensible way.

The rundown:
- Anyone with whom you have 0 or more reputation will always give you directions.
- People with whom you have -10 to 0 reputation may decide not to help you.
- Anyone with whom you have less than -10 reputation points will refuse to help you.

Compatibility
Please note that this mod overwrites the conversation menu for non-owned NPC ships, which right now is limited to pretty much "Add to squad" (and related), "Surrender" and "Way to...". It does not touch any submenus, so anything added inside existing options (such as the awesome Manual Command Extension mod) should be compatible.

Changelog
Version 0.25
Uptaded content.xml. Most notably this mod doesn't need to be recorded in the save file.

Version 0.2
Added the possibility of being turned down by people with whom your reputation is below 0 (down to -10, at which point they will refuse to help you).

Version 0.1
Initial release.

[ external image ]

Dropbox mirror: Version 0.25

Specially since this my first mod for this game, I'm open to and will appreciate suggestions on how to implement or make it better.

Thank you.
Last edited by Swallen on Sat, 23. Nov 13, 16:18, edited 11 times in total.

Tyrant597
x4

Post by Tyrant597 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 01:23

Nice! I remember seeing that and just shaking my head. Makes no sense the way it was written.
You don't talks about X:Rebirth...
X4 Mods: Collect Inventory Wares Stations Supply Build Storage Mass Move Marines

Swallen

Post by Swallen » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 02:01

Updated. To make it a little more interesting, if you have less than 0 reputation (but more than -10), people may turn you down.

azmuth
xr

Post by azmuth » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 02:18

I must admit, this mod makes the weirdness that is X-Rebirth a little more normal. Good work!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 15:00

"nice chat, not!" not anymore!

astaldion

Post by astaldion » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 16:53

Maybe you should introduce a randomness for neutral NPCs. Only give 100% when they are friendly to you, although sometimes they just might not know.

Swallen

Post by Swallen » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 11:15

astaldion wrote:Maybe you should introduce a randomness for neutral NPCs. Only give 100% when they are friendly to you, although sometimes they just might not know.
What I found most jarring about the vanilla implementation of this is that people completely neutral to you, such as anyone you can bump into on the street, would act as if you were a sexual offender for no apparent reason.

If something is not in the sector you are in, they will tell you they don't know where it is, regardless of faction standings. But it makes no sense for neutral people to refuse to help you and tell you to go boil your head :shock: What the hell?? :o

spartanheyho

Post by spartanheyho » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 10:38

Debug text for your mod after starting new game in free play mode:

Code: Select all

[General] ======================================
[=ERROR=] LookupKeyName::LookupName(): The key name "diff" is not recognized in lookup 'ScriptXML'. Originated from: "extensions\HelpfulDirections\md\Conversations.xml.(pck|xml)"
[=ERROR=] LookupKeyName::LookupName(): The key name "sel" is not recognized in lookup 'ScriptXML'. Originated from: ""
[=ERROR=] Error loading MD file extensions\HelpfulDirections\md\Conversations.xml: Invalid root node

Swallen

Post by Swallen » Sat, 30. Nov 13, 19:18

And I assume the mod is not working? Is this the latest beta or 1.17?

spartanheyho

Post by spartanheyho » Fri, 6. Dec 13, 13:50

Not sure if it still does work or not. Also, disregards my previous post with debug text. Apparently that is normal.

OpiWanktGenObi
x4

Post by OpiWanktGenObi » Sun, 8. Dec 13, 19:09

used it a few times now at v1.18, w/o problems.
ok, had a standing of +9 with the faction, so no idea if that HAD to work..

no idea if that is normal, but in free play v1.17 they could no tell me a way to a license dealer in devries.
maybe there are none ^^

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”