[Discussion] Possible compatibility issues and how to avoid them

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

[Discussion] Possible compatibility issues and how to avoid them

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 00:52

ok, i think we all have sighted about all xml stuff by now and already encountered first compatibility issues in the content.xml, and i think i found one more which could be a problem in the futuere:
  • Macro Names
    <macro name="****">

it seems all macro xmls are loaded into the memory and referenced by their name parameter only (maybe even global, it is used for Engine Settings, Ship Models, in every Layer of the Map and many more)
    i see possible big compatibility issues arise if everybody uses these names as he pleases, so to avoid that we should in my opinion use a Modder-Prefix for new Macros to avoid that.
  • IDs in the content.xml
    the other compatibility issue with the content.xml is already "solved" since id collisions are very unlikely because we can use any name we want and we only need one per extension opposed to the probably many for the macro names. but looking onto the oter possible issue i think its better to add here a Modder-Prefix, too for consistence sake.
  • (Numeric) IDs in t-files/language files
    luckyly whe have "endless" page IDs, and i think if its not for some special purpose we should make use of that. like a Number prefix in the 100k range.
    and scripters may use any t id in his range under any vanilla Page he wants, too to add Text to eg NPCs in a manner which is intended by the Game.
what do you think? and did you find other places where compatibility issues could arise?
Last edited by UniTrader on Fri, 22. Nov 13, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

felrasha

Post by felrasha » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 00:54

main problem I've seen is the language files use numerical identifiers
So if 2 mods use the same id, things will get wonky.
-- This code keeps amazing me...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 01:01

t-files.. good point, will add that to the OP post, too..

luckyly whe have "endless" page IDs, and i think if its not for some special purpose we should make use of that. like a Number prefix in the 100k range.
and scripters may use any t id in his range under any vanilla Page he wants, too to add Text to eg NPCs in a manner which is intended by the Game.
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”