[Mod]5km Station Scan Range

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Tyrant597
x4

[Mod]5km Station Scan Range

Post by Tyrant597 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 07:08

This mod simply increases the range at which you can download station data to your ship computer. This includes information about station modules, offered missions, trade opportunities, and docking nodes. Scan range is increased to 5km. To take advantage of this, simply fly to within 5km of a station, and center your ui on a node. This makes scanning stations much less painful.
I have also included an optional version which increases the timeout for station info from 1 hour to 1 year.
As a result, the trade menu may become rather cluttered, since we have no way of sorting the trade menu by sector, for example.
Don't use this version if you enjoy flying around to every station every hour to collect discounts and trade details. =P

Feedback is appreciated.

http://xrebirth.nexusmods.com/mods/73//?
Last edited by Tyrant597 on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 02:49, edited 2 times in total.
You don't talks about X:Rebirth...
X4 Mods: Collect Inventory Wares Stations Supply Build Storage Mass Move Marines

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 08:50

Cool mod, but I just want to make sure you know the trading computer auto-updates every trade offer if you're close to a station.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Tyrant597
x4

Post by Tyrant597 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 09:11

Every trade offer for that station
Spoiler
Show

If you have trading system extension.
X4 Mods: Collect Inventory Wares Stations Supply Build Storage Mass Move Marines

UbiNax

Post by UbiNax » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:38

Great work! amazing!

Wouldn't it be an idea to perhaps remove all info notes and so on, to remove the graphic mess of a big station? and then maybe increase the range so that when you are near the station then you WILL be able to get all the info anyways, so you will not need the info signs and all of that?

Just a thought! :D

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: [Mod]5km Station Scan Range

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 10:57

Tyrant597 wrote:I have also increased the timeout for station info from 1 hour to 1 year.
As a result, the trade menu may become rather cluttered, since we have no way of sorting the trade menu by sector, for example. This timeout is easily changed if you find it to be too much. Just look in /libraries/unlocks.xml
as a sideeffect you practically disable all discounts for station scanning except the first.
And you can sort the Trade Menu by Distance from last waypoint in trade queue -> i think basically thats the point in something like sorting by sector right? ;)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:13

UbiNax wrote:Great work! amazing!

Wouldn't it be an idea to perhaps remove all info notes and so on, to remove the graphic mess of a big station? and then maybe increase the range so that when you are near the station then you WILL be able to get all the info anyways, so you will not need the info signs and all of that?

Just a thought! :D
I agree.
A mod to just remove all the little info icons (not on dock points or trade nodes ofc since it can be useful to see where freighers will dock).
Just have everything be discovered as you see the station, instead of having to scan every single "Corridor_Tube" every single time.
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:38

Imari
x4

Post by Imari » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 16:29

UniTrader wrote:
Tyrant597 wrote:I have also increased the timeout for station info from 1 hour to 1 year.
As a result, the trade menu may become rather cluttered, since we have no way of sorting the trade menu by sector, for example. This timeout is easily changed if you find it to be too much. Just look in /libraries/unlocks.xml
as a sideeffect you practically disable all discounts for station scanning except the first.
And you can sort the Trade Menu by Distance from last waypoint in trade queue -> i think basically thats the point in something like sorting by sector right? ;)
Yea, the discounts "disappear". Will editing the period from 1 yr back to 1hr or2 hr prevent this?
But hell the 5km thingy is a much needed mod. Only problem is that strangely the "I" icons are much harder to "appear" now...

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 16:33

Imari wrote:
UniTrader wrote:
Yes, the discounts "disappear". Will editing the period from 1 yr back to 1hr or2 hr prevent this?
But hell the 5km thingy is a much needed mod. Only problem is that strangely the "I" icons are much harder to "appear" now...
Yes, since you can get discounts every time you scanned a station part - thats the reason behind the Timeout that you can scan a station part again after a while ;)

but without looking into the file i think when you already scanned a station with the 1-Yr-timer it will stay scanned this long, only newly scanned stations will become "unscanned" again in a forseeable time..

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Tyrant597
x4

Post by Tyrant597 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 19:28

I hear you on the discounts. I hope we get some balancing in the trade area, and discounts are used as more of an early game cash bonus, and aren't as important later on. As it is now, the margins are so low that you can make more cash scanning down crates in space than trading thousands of goods with a freighter. I feel like the market needs more... fluctuation? It just seems like all the bases are covered, whereas in previous games, you could see areas where you could fill in gaps in the market.

Hirikan

Post by Hirikan » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 09:55

Hey, just like to say this is a great mod!

Its a step in the right direction for this game. Hopefully you keep working on it as this could open up to become the daddy of trading mods! :D

cerberus448
x3tc

Post by cerberus448 » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 11:24

can you also remove the requirement for line of sight to be needed for an icon to be visible? I would suggest making this change to only have a limited range otherwise the screen would be filled with icons in the way.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 18:26

How hard would it be to add a polling option (say once an hour) that polls the stations you have logged in the trading computer and updates the prices? (This would also double as a check to remove wares for stations that have been destroyed).

Or make the trading computer auto poll a station for wares/prices when you enter a sector?
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Wed, 20. Nov 13, 18:37

i have an even better idea in my head: an Ambdassor NPC which you can drop off a Station and who keeps Info up to date ;) depending on expirience from a single Module up to a whole Zone ^^ (and, if possible, use the radar info from the Station, too)

i think something like this would fit nicely to the Game ^^

Blackoth
x3ap

Post by Blackoth » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 04:48

UniTrader wrote:i have an even better idea in my head: an Ambdassor NPC which you can drop off a Station and who keeps Info up to date ;) depending on expirience from a single Module up to a whole Zone ^^ (and, if possible, use the radar info from the Station, too)

I really think this is a good idea to give a try, it fits well within the reality bubble

Imari
x4

Post by Imari » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 05:55

Thats an awesome idea, egosoft shld hav implemented that. We need something similar to the adv satellite system in x3

nilbot

Post by nilbot » Thu, 21. Nov 13, 09:06

UniTrader wrote:i have an even better idea in my head: an Ambdassor NPC which you can drop off a Station and who keeps Info up to date ;) depending on expirience from a single Module up to a whole Zone ^^ (and, if possible, use the radar info from the Station, too)

This. And a Shepard to train marines onboard, a Mr.Universe who knows everything and goes everywhere...

cerberus448
x3tc

Post by cerberus448 » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 03:05

nilbot wrote:

This. And a Shepard to train marines onboard, a Mr.Universe who knows everything and goes everywhere...
Need a G man to use his portals and get all the station info for us lol

Cyraga

Post by Cyraga » Fri, 22. Nov 13, 03:22

Installed this last night and it damn near made the game feel playable :) Thanks.

Mods like this prove that Rebrth could have been so much better off with less nonsensical design choices, even on such a small scale.

Cyllie

Post by Cyllie » Sat, 23. Nov 13, 21:46

Drastically improves the in game station investigation element without totally removing it....no more randomly getting trapped inside of stations by flying too closely!

Great job!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”