[MOD Request]Fewer Cargo Ships

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

mokusam

[MOD Request]Fewer Cargo Ships

Post by mokusam » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 11:37

Hi there.
I noticed a dramatic FPS increase when I went through the Jump Gate to the sun, in the campaign. And it was stable throughout the sector, not a single drop; not a large one at least.

So when I got back to PMC space, and the rest, the constant FPS drops have returned. I read somewhere that it could be possible to decrease the number of cargo ships doing their thing; the ones that actually matter.
The way I see it my CPU, or whatever, is having a hard time dealing with computations and displaying those individual cargo ships. So if there are less of them maybe my rig could run the game a bit smoother across the galaxy.
Maybe.

So is it possible, if nothing else just to test my theory and expectations? :)

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 12:35

For clarification: Are you referring to highway traffic or the freighters that actually fly between stations?

(highway traffic being the small ships that fly on "space highways" around stations)

mokusam

Post by mokusam » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 14:16

Freighters.
All those little ships that are flying around stations and sometimes waiting, as if stuck in space jam.
There are thousands of them in any given zone, could they be partly responsible for unstable frames..

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 14:35

Masstraffic can be adjusted in jobs.xml. Im not sure how quickly it would take effect, there are so many masstraffic ships which are just background details that egosoft may simply be generating them as you enter the sector, in which case they'll vanish instantly. Or they may be truly persistent, in which case the numbers will dwindle as they get destroyed, which will take an age and basically require you to start a new game to get any benefit from it.

Or you could turn up the number of pirate spawns and get some faction reputation while you wait for the mass traffic to be culled.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 14:35

have you tried reducing your viewdist to zero?
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 14:43

andrewas wrote:Masstraffic can be adjusted in jobs.xml. Im not sure how quickly it would take effect, there are so many masstraffic ships which are just background details that egosoft may simply be generating them as you enter the sector, in which case they'll vanish instantly. Or they may be truly persistent, in which case the numbers will dwindle as they get destroyed, which will take an age and basically require you to start a new game to get any benefit from it.

Or you could turn up the number of pirate spawns and get some faction reputation while you wait for the mass traffic to be culled.
They're not persistent. That's the only way this amount is possible. ^^

I'm looking into it atm and it looks like a fairly straightforward change. The problem is that there are 700 lines of code of masstraffic jobs and unless someone can automate that it will take me a while to change those.

mokusam

Post by mokusam » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 15:21

Sandalpocalypse wrote:have you tried reducing your viewdist to zero?
I have, my settings are at the lowest except resolution [1366x768] and shader quality [normal]. I was messing around with shaders and there is no difference between [low] and [normal] setting, performance wise; visually it's nicer. :P
As for resolution, and other combinations and graphical possibilities, I found this one nominal.

enenra wrote: I'm looking into it atm and it looks like a fairly straightforward change. The problem is that there are 700 lines of code of masstraffic jobs and unless someone can automate that it will take me a while to change those.
No rush mate; thanks for trying. I imagine it isn't quite simple. :)
Could it be that something in the code is somehow messed up, that has a reflection on game performance?

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 15:27

mokusam wrote:
Sandalpocalypse wrote:have you tried reducing your viewdist to zero?
I have, my settings are at the lowest except resolution [1366x768] and shader quality [normal]. I was messing around with shaders and there is no difference between [low] and [normal] setting, performance wise; visually it's nicer. :P
As for resolution, and other combinations and graphical possibilities, I found this one nominal.

enenra wrote: I'm looking into it atm and it looks like a fairly straightforward change. The problem is that there are 700 lines of code of masstraffic jobs and unless someone can automate that it will take me a while to change those.
No rush mate; thanks for trying. I imagine it isn't quite simple. :)
Could it be that something in the code is somehow messed up, that has a reflection on game performance?
I don't think so. People just don't realize how insanely many there are of those small ships. Even halved, the amount is frequently over a thousand per type.

EDIT: Here we go, try this: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=351509

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”