How to lock target/auto-aim??

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fitzy Of Sydney
x3tc

How to lock target/auto-aim??

Post by Fitzy Of Sydney » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:26

Can this be done?

It is so frustrating when I can't lock on to a target like in all other X games, or am I missing something??

:x

pilakin

Post by pilakin » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 03:35

I played around with it, and I think I figured out the most. First of all you need to target sth, it only works with targeted things. Now if you play with free mouse look (the "space bar mode"), keep your cursor over the "shoot here" leading-cross-thing. If you play without the mouse-look, you need to keep your crosshair, aka the center of screen, as close to the leading-cross as possible.

there are some bigger ships (like thoe terran looking ones) and capitals, that don't show the leading cross though. the auto aim still works on them, but you have to guess where the leading cross would have been to aim there. so you gotta look in what direction they're moving and how fast.

i gotta say though, either the prediction is bad or the AI is quite good at evading. you can hit unalerted moving targets easily. but once they engage the fight, you gotta be pretty much closer than 1km to realiable hit stuff.

It was like this in other X games too though. I assume the aim system is like: "ok, i got the speed of my target and the direction it's moving to. if it keeps this direction and speed, I need to shoot here to hit it." problem is it doesn't consider the the steering thusters of the target at all. it assumes it's flying in a straight line. even if it's flying in a predictable perfect circle, the aim assist assumes it flies in a straight line thus always missing on longer distance.

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 04:20

Also, a lot of targets have a very small profile. Drones are tiny, fighters tend to be very flat. Using the strafe drive can often get you a bigger target to shoot at, but you need to be pretty close for it to be effective. If we had turrets, boosting to get a better angle would be viable at longer ranges, but nobody has put turrets on the Skunk yet.

Fitzy Of Sydney
x3tc

Post by Fitzy Of Sydney » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 04:21

Ok, so how to missiles get a target lock? Same way?

Strum1
x3tc

Post by Strum1 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 05:23

They lock on to your current target I think..

As for targeting something, it's a pain in the ass when you are trying to take down a bunch of small drones.

Fitzy Of Sydney
x3tc

Post by Fitzy Of Sydney » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 05:25

So in other words, it autolocks when the target is within the recticle/crosshairs, then unlocks when the target moves out of the cross hairs??

pilakin

Post by pilakin » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 07:00

Fitzy Of Sydney wrote:So in other words, it autolocks when the target is within the recticle/crosshairs, then unlocks when the target moves out of the cross hairs??
not the target itself. the leading cross thingy, that tells where to shoot, should be near your cursor (if you shoot with the right mouse button) or near the crosshair (if you shoot with the keyboard).
for missiles just select the target and fire away as long as the target is in range for that particular missile.

TinkerToy
x4

Post by TinkerToy » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 09:56

Fitzy Of Sydney wrote:So in other words, it autolocks when the target is within the recticle/crosshairs, then unlocks when the target moves out of the cross hairs??
No, it seems to stay locked until your targeting cursor moves over a new object, then whatever is under your cursor becomes the new "target" after a short delay.

In a game where your screen is filled with ships, it's virtually impossible to keep a specific target locked once it passes out of your field of view.

Fitzy Of Sydney
x3tc

Post by Fitzy Of Sydney » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 11:02

Worked it out. :)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”