Star Wars-like Engine Sound

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Deleted User

Star Wars-like Engine Sound

Post by Deleted User » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:22

so, I've been looking through the sound_library.xml, and while I'm very pleased at the options, there is one thing I do not understand.

How can I make other ships' engines behave like the Star Wars engines, for example the TIE fighter or x wing one's, who had a very distinctive sound when passing by?

Tokfan
x3

Re: Star Wars-like Engine

Post by Tokfan » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 01:30

Dark_Ansem wrote:so, I've been looking through the sound_library.xml, and while I'm very pleased at the options, there is one thing I do not understand.

How can I make other ships' engines behave like the Star Wars engines, for example the TIE fighter or x wing one's, who had a very distinctive sound when passing by?
Well i assume you are talking about a Doppler effect pitch-shift.

Based on what i heard whle playing the police sirens seem to have a bit of a pitch shift going on, that would probably be the best place to start looking.
Me, Myself and X

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 07:48

I'd be satisfied even with a simple looping engine sound...

Tokfan
x3

Post by Tokfan » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:00

Dark_Ansem wrote:I'd be satisfied even with a simple looping engine sound...
Well then its a matter of replacing an existing engine sound, should be easy enough if you can get the sound into the right format.
Me, Myself and X

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:17

what if I instead wanted to do that doppler effect?

even if I simply want to replace the engine sound, can I still add variable pitches etc?

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:28

Shouldn't the example in the top of the sound_library.xml cover most of these questions? It should list everything that is possible (though I don't know much about sounds personally so I couldn't tell you what most of it means):

Code: Select all

...... FULL EXAMPLE ...... 

<sound id="id" description="my desc" repeat="1" is3d="0" isunique="0" preload="0" amount="32">
		<sample start="file" loop="file" end="file" />
		<sample selection="random">
			<select start="file" loop="file" end="file" weight="30"/>
			<select start="file" loop="file" end="file" weight="70" />
		</sample>
		<volume start="1" loop="1" end="1" distance="1" />
		<effects>
			<doppler factor="1.0" />
			<fade in="0.1" out="0.2" />
			<filter mode="lowpass|bandpass|highpass|notch" frequency="[0, 1]" oneoverq="[0, 1.5]" />
			<reverb room="large hall" roomsize="[1, 100] in feet" drymix="[0, 100] (percentage)" density="[0, 100] (percentage)" />
			<pitch start="0.8" end="1.0" steps="1" />
		</effects>
		<random_noise interval="42.2 (in seconds)">
			<override interval="15.5" tags="tag1 tag2" />
			<override interval="2" tags="tag3 tag4 tag5" />
		</random_noise>
	</sound>

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:30

it KINDA does, but it's different from other XML files which I have seen!

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:34

Well, how about you pick a common sound and then just start experimenting with the different settings? Maybe start with a straight one-note sound and then just play with those variables to easily see what difference they make. ;)

It's all about experimenting at this stage unless someone with a lot of knowledge about these terms drops by (which is not necessarily likely).

You could also try and look up the meaning of those variables on wikipedia or something.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 10:53

it's an idea... :D

jarlrmai

Post by jarlrmai » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 11:03

You need to apply the Doppler effect dynamically in game.

The Doppler effect increases or decreases the apparent pitch of a sound as the source moves towards or away from you it is relative to the speed of the emitter.

I would be surpised if the sound engine in XR does not already generate this effect.

I would start by using Audacity etc to generate a wav file at a constant pitch like 440hz (concert A) see if you van get this to be the engine sound of a craft then take it from there.

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 11:12

jarlrmai wrote:You need to apply the Doppler effect dynamically in game.

The Doppler effect increases or decreases the apparent pitch of a sound as the source moves towards or away from you it is relative to the speed of the emitter.

I would be surpised if the sound engine in XR does not already generate this effect.

I would start by using Audacity etc to generate a wav file at a constant pitch like 440hz (concert A) see if you van get this to be the engine sound of a craft then take it from there.
Well, a random knowledgeable person dropped by. :D

You'll find the engine sounds here: extracted\sfx\engines\ , sorted by ship class.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 11:18

what I meant about pitch, however, was to add a "variance" range whenever the sound is played. just to clarify :D

Tokfan
x3

Post by Tokfan » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 11:28

Well according to what enenra posted:
<effects>
<doppler factor="1.0" /> //Doppler effect simulation factor
<fade in="0.1" out="0.2" /> //Most likeley sound range fading
<filter mode="lowpass|bandpass|highpass|notch" frequency="[0, 1]" oneoverq="[0, 1.5]" /> //Sound filter settings
<reverb room="large hall" roomsize="[1, 100] in feet" drymix="[0, 100] (percentage)" density="[0, 100] (percentage)" /> //Settings for sound reverberation
<pitch start="0.8" end="1.0" steps="1" /> //Distance factor? possibly tied to doppler effect
</effects>
The game does indeed already generate this effect and so to that point you are absolutley right, its just a matter of creating a sound, sticking it in and playing around with the settings
Me, Myself and X

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 08:47

Tokfan wrote:

Well according to what enenra posted:
<effects>
<doppler factor="1.0" /> //Doppler effect simulation factor
<fade in="0.1" out="0.2" /> //Most likeley sound range fading
<filter mode="lowpass|bandpass|highpass|notch" frequency="[0, 1]" oneoverq="[0, 1.5]" /> //Sound filter settings
<reverb room="large hall" roomsize="[1, 100] in feet" drymix="[0, 100] (percentage)" density="[0, 100] (percentage)" /> //Settings for sound reverberation
<pitch start="0.8" end="1.0" steps="1" /> //Distance factor? possibly tied to doppler effect
</effects>
The game does indeed already generate this effect and so to that point you are absolutley right, its just a matter of creating a sound, sticking it in and playing around with the settings
thanks a lot :D it's a good start!

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”