A Call For The Truth

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do we deserve a real answer from Egosoft?

Absolutely, the REAL truth!
84%
No, I prefer to leave my head stuck in the sand against overwhelming evidence of failure.
16%

Total votes: 140

Divinity1990
x3tc

Post by Divinity1990 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 14:29

After 7 years and this end result a lengthy explanation is definitely needed. Silence from ES will only confirm that we stand before a failed console project that got recycled for PC to make some quick cash.

omfgjohnnyisback

Post by omfgjohnnyisback » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 14:46

Probe1 wrote:1. Metacritic is outright fraudulent to use in any discussion. Every new ****** release gets bombed by positive 10 votes from fanboys intentionally trying hard to save the utter piece of shit in a raging bout of post-purchase rationalization.
2. You sound petulant in providing an apology.

I'm mad but this is not how I choose to express it. I'd rather see the ripped off customers spend their time bringing ES to admit their guilt than dealing with another dick ****** in denial.
Corrected it for you, bro.

funky_skunk

Post by funky_skunk » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 14:49

If most other companies lied to their customers and gave such shocking customer service, they'd soon go out of business. But moron gamers lap it up and keep defending these developers. It's time we stopped accepting this behaviour and made them realise they can no longer treat customers this way.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 15:11

CommanderTGK wrote:As stated, if you choose to ignore the EVIDENCE of failure. Then you are indeed choosing to bury your head in the sand. Patches do not fix underlying design flaws, and patches should not be required on day 1 in order to play a SINGLEPLAYER game from beginning to end.
Since X2 The Threat I have not seen an X title that did not need a patch on the first day, that is just the way they work. Yes, I find it anoying but that is the way they do things and in the long run it works out for the best for us all. Now I have not got this game yet so I cant speak to it. I can only hope that all the complaints are from people who expected a normal X game. But to tell the truth they prepared us for this change a long time ago. Again I cant speak for the game I wont have it until the 26th, but is the UI that bad or just so dif. from the old that it is automaticly hated? The same goes for the game. I guess I will find out on the 26th
Also, whats this about it being a console game, I have not played a console since the Nintendo 64. So I cant releate to the coment can some one please explain?
Attention: All of your ships are under attack

mielgato

Post by mielgato » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 16:39

DJC wrote: Also, whats this about it being a console game, I have not played a console since the Nintendo 64. So I cant releate to the coment can some one please explain?
I think it's because console core architecture and PC work kind of differently, also are now way underpowered compared to nowadays high end computers, and then most of peeps jumped on controls for xbox or ps3, which to me is bull since any console can be played with kb/mouse ...

however, if it were really a console game, the FPS issue made me think about all those tries for emulating PS2 games back in times, all of them had FPS issue, as well for nintendo DS emulating...

It seem like consoles are built in a different way, but a DS is a DS, it'll have exactly the same specs (I do'nt know much about it either, it's all assumptions) which cause problems when porting to PC (probably due to the multiples rig avaibles ?)

well anyway for me the console market is bull milking customers (especially a certain windows maker)
Last edited by mielgato on Mon, 18. Nov 13, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 16:48

mielgato wrote:
DJC wrote: Also, whats this about it being a console game, I have not played a console since the Nintendo 64. So I cant releate to the coment can some one please explain?
I think it's because console core architecture and PC work kind of differently, also are now way underpowered compared to nowadays high end computers, and then most of peeps jumped on controls for xbox or ps3, which to me is bull since any console can be played with kb/mouse ...

however, if it were really a console game, the FPS issue made me think about all those tries for emulating PS2 games back in times, all of them had FPS issue, as well for nintendo DS emulating...

It seem like consoles are built in a different way, but a DS is a DS, it'll have exactly the same specs (I do'nt know much about it either, it's all assumptions) which cause problems when porting to PC (probably due to the multiples rig avaibles ?)
thanks for that I think I undrstand

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 17:21

I was finding a post to tell the reassons on why I shelved the game and found this could be a good one.

To the OP

You don't need an official answer... Devs have already spoken about the state of the game. The trick is that maybe you still haven't found were it's written.

So please, try to do the following... Assing a key to "message log" function (I use shift+L for easy remembering). Load your longest savegame (longest in the sense of game time spent). Invoke the "message log". No, you will not get what you expect... You will be reading the "Dev answer" you are looking for.

Even if you have no experience with any script language, the error messages are "self explanatory" on what the game is missing (On my campaign 8h savegame I got 327 errors on a fresh load).

This "product" is a Beta... It haven't even entered into any kind of QA. Is missing media resources, extensively used scripts are systematically failing, animations are missing steps and AI decission scripts get frozen. All is there CLEARLY shown for you to read.

In contrast... You have all the beautifull space renders full of moving parts, complex stations and ship surfaces... Heck! You can even distinguish which cargo drones are loaded and which ones are empty... Space is beautifull like no other X game ever shown.

...This is telling you which kind of priority Egosoft used while developing X-Rebirth. They followed what any kind of sane Dev would do... Started with the defining factors and then built "content" for it.

The problem is that someone decided it was time to release (I may have an idea why)... In the middle of the Development cycle and the result is this Beta.

I have spent some time reading whinning posts about the "lack of immersion" things obviously half-done (I refuse to use the term half-finished... As most gameplay portions of the game haven't left beta state) like station interiors show...

...I wonder if they find "not immersive" on a space game seeing kilometer-long behemoths going through geometry like ghosts... Or why collision damage is disabled game-wide... Paradoxically, collision removal are the kind of "debug features" you leave on to check early states of your engine while you leave for later "AI logic polish process"...

..Or a "Streamlined UI" that forces the user to have to take more steps for doing the same actions that on the previous X's games UIs (That Devs themselves labelled as "cumbersome" or "clunky" when compared to what X Rebirth was going to be). Understandable... UIs are usually the last steps to be finished on a game development cycle.

Don't take me wrong... I like the foundations of what Egosoft has released... It has potential but...

...This is not a game. It's the Beta of a Hardware Benchmarking Tool...

...And if you read between lines, Devs are saying it Loud and Clear.

That's why I decided to shelf the game and labelled Egosoft from now on as unreliable developer not to trust (There is a difference between having release bugs and releasing in the middle of the development cycle without warning your fanbase)... It will be finished... Some day in the future...

...And don't count with the Modding Community this time... Checking the sorry state of the "stock scripts" it will take a loooooong time before Modders can get access to a stable API that at some point the Devs may bother to document.

Jurand
x3

Post by Jurand » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:09

The problem is that the UI we're presented with right is far more work intensive, from the developer's perspective than previous games where you popped up a single window and did everything from there basically. Here, you have animations and whatnot to contend with. So you can see it's a deliberate effort to change the UI. One that ultimately proved to be fruitless. Sure, some features of it are good, but the majority, including the presentation, aren't that great.

As to the coding, I think that most people are in agreement that this isn't finalized code. My personal theory is that they simply ran out of time in 2011 and Deep Silver gave them a 2 year extention on the project and they still couldn't get it all to work properly on an engine that runs 32bits on a 64bit system.

The only way I can see them saving the game is with a rather fast release of a free expansion/patch that reintroduces the previous UI (including the commands menu). Sure, it might not look as pretty, but it would at least go part way to solving the massive disappointment.

Not to forget the coding which seems to be a rough draft at best...

B_O_L_T
x4

Post by B_O_L_T » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:27

Probe1 wrote:1. Metacritic is outright fraudulent to use in any discussion. Every new release gets bombed by negative votes from people intentionally trying to discredit the game.

Fraudulent, do not talk nonsense; as many fan boys manipulate metacritic as do people unhappy with a product.

Further, what Universe do you live in that makes you believe everyone with something negative to say has a hidden agenda, people are allowed to say a product stinks if they think a product stinks, if you don't share that opinion tough. The majority rule and if more people believe the game good than bad metacritic would reflect that, as can be seen in any number of game scores on that site. That the current score for X Rebirth on metacritic is low is a reflection of how the “majority” currently feel about the title.

Ferîx
xr

Post by Ferîx » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:33

we made you.
disgusting :x

Zorvan
x3tc

Post by Zorvan » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 22:04

Shenzo wrote:
Probe1 wrote:1. Metacritic is outright fraudulent to use in any discussion. Every new release gets bombed by negative votes from people intentionally trying to discredit the game.
2. You sound petulant in demanding an apology.

I'm mad but this is not how I choose to express it. I'd rather the developers spend their time fixing the game than answering questions at your whims.
Wouldn't hurt if their spokesperson Bernd came on and explained what they were doing to fix it. He took the time to talk about what a huge success the game was. Id imagine he could take 5 minutes out of his busy day to tell everyone Egosoft actually recognized the game was broken and were trying to fix it.

If they just fixed the core elements there would be a lot less complaining going on.

-Capping and ship repairs
-Trading bugs

Most of us are tired of the slamming into can mini game and want to do stuff.
Bernd is busy making alt Metacritic accounts. Gotta get as many "10" scores as he can make.

Roger78
x3tc

Post by Roger78 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 00:27

I voted that we should be told the truth. As we have handed over our money I think Egosoft has a moral obligation to tell us why we have been sold an unfinshed product. I see some posts around the forum from obvious shills with new accounts whose only purpose seems to be to complain about people complaining. If people like the game, then why are they here pretending to be some blowhard instead of playing the game. Who these people are we can only speculate on, but I would remind Egosoft that a 101 of business is that you NEVER insult your paying customers, even if they are wrong, though it is very clear that those who are discontent with this game are most certainly right.

Shenzo
x4

Post by Shenzo » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 00:42

Roger78 wrote:I voted that we should be told the truth. As we have handed over our money I think Egosoft has a moral obligation to tell us why we have been sold an unfinshed product. I see some posts around the forum from obvious shills with new accounts whose only purpose seems to be to complain about people complaining. If people like the game, then why are they here pretending to be some blowhard instead of playing the game. Who these people are we can only speculate on, but I would remind Egosoft that a 101 of business is that you NEVER insult your paying customers, even if they are wrong, though it is very clear that those who are discontent with this game are most certainly right.
I think its ironic. The main fan base says that this is a common tactic for Ego Soft. Release a broken game then rely on the community to fix it. Ego Soft screwed the pooch by trying to open this game up to "a new audience" because all of those new people have no clue that this is typical Ego Soft antics. Hence all the added angst/anger over this POS known as rebirth.

Sibilantae
x3tc

Post by Sibilantae » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 00:44

Ferîx wrote:
we made you.
disgusting :x
+1
(Oh no, you forgot to close the parenthesis! Someone might get in!

Azurelinctus
x4

Post by Azurelinctus » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:08

I love a poll because it really shows what people feel with a statistic disregarding the emotions behind what is occurring because emotions simply can cloud things.

I don't like X: Rebirth as part of the canon or a stand alone game, however I do agree with others that your poll is biased. If you wanted to make a sensible poll and not actually troll or flame others, it should of been

1) Do you feel we have been lied to
2) Do you feel egosoft/devs have been honest.

Perhaps you should be more mature, start the ball rolling with apologies and give yours.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 04:40

Azurelinctus wrote:I love a poll because it really shows what people feel with a statistic disregarding the emotions behind what is occurring because emotions simply can cloud things.

I don't like X: Rebirth as part of the canon or a stand alone game, however I do agree with others that your poll is biased. If you wanted to make a sensible poll and not actually troll or flame others, it should of been

1) Do you feel we have been lied to
2) Do you feel egosoft/devs have been honest.

Perhaps you should be more mature, start the ball rolling with apologies and give yours.
I would agree that this poll has a biased opinion but what you propose..............both questions are the same.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”