Even though buggy - X Rebirth is a quite solid game.

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alysin
x4

Post by Alysin » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 18:26

@ wasdie; that's spot on. It don't matter what ideas the game had, you can't base a judgement of a game on ideas and what if's. Either the issue is there or its not. Defending the if's is not helping the game especially, as it now stands, it's not even sure of it can wholly be fixed into a state the traders can actually play this game as they always anticipated, or the big fleet command enthusiasts can even command thair fleets.

Alot of people here see potential, but that is only that, potential. It dont make any diffrence to what we have today. But well, it's my fault tho that i can't see past theese limitation i guess, maybe i should have more trust in Egosoft despite of the apparent mediocricy and limitations of the engine. Many seem to just obliviously belive that it's going to blossom one day like a miracle. It takes work, work and more work, refurbishing, code canges in the very core, so i prefer to stop hope and see it for what it is at this very moment. It's not living up to the X universe in my eyes, that is just so much biger, deep and demanding in my eyes.

Alysin
x4

Post by Alysin » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 18:29

onedreamer wrote:
Alysin wrote:You're only trolling, atleast i did also explain what he needed to do on the mission. Are you proud of yourself?
I did suggest you can hide the skunk among base structures and laugh at police and patrols while on your drone, but you answered calling me "Einstein".
I don't need to prove you anything, the mission you are complaining about has been completed successfully by anyone who was willing to do it, while your main concern instead of playing the game is to flame it and the players who enjoy it, claiming that you would more gladly play Wing Commander 2, which clearly you are not doing. Probably because there isn't an active forum where to flame and vent and whine.
Actually, i said that to the guy with the cat avatar. But thats fine, you may assume whatever you like. After all it's just a claim so im probably going to be bantered again.

desius
x4

Post by desius » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 18:58

Alysin wrote:It don't matter what ideas the game had, you can't base a judgement of a game on ideas and what if's.
The only people passing "judgement" are the ones who are not willing, or do not 'prefer' (as you put it) to see what it will become. Those who mention the potential are effectively reserving judgement; something not many people in our instant-gratification world are willing to do these days.

No, the game in its current state was not quite ready and one could be in the right to stamp a big 'fail' on the current state. Doing so at this point is, in my opinion, premature.
It takes work, work and more work, refurbishing, code canges in the very core,...
The engine is fine, the code and xml are extensible, more so than any other X game, and the developers are willing to do said work. Why is fixing it an issue? Are you expressing a lack of faith that they will, or merely a lack of patience?

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 19:53

The biggest problem for many of you guys to accept XR the way it is because you expected it to be something like X3. I did mention it would be great to have XR like X3 but play like XR and yes I contradict myself quite a bit. But I accept XR for what it is. I can see that it is not the same as X3, it allows me more casual and relaxed game-play which I like.

If Egosoft hasn't delivered to your promises its not really my fault so no point to personally offend me. I am not as picky as you are so I enjoy XR. I never really liked X series even though I love space sims. There was always too much to manage in X games. I know you liked it and now you are pissed that Egosoft made a game that appeals to a bit different audience than yourselves. They have mentioned before if i am not mistaken that XR will be more action-based game.

XR has flaws yes, but in the end of the day game has a good potential. Its not an utter failure in my book even though game gets frustrating at times. But its all a matter of fixing bugs and improving some game elements.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

phinehas68
x3tc

Re: Even though buggy - X Rebirth is a quite solid game.

Post by phinehas68 » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 19:55

De-Winter wrote:
reanor wrote: Its 'my' type of a game where I can drop into my lazy chair when I come home from work and fire the game on my big screen TV and enjoy some space sim action.
This sentence basically sums up everything that is wrong with the game, nobody wanted this.
Obviously, the OP wanted this. For the open-minded, it is also obvious that lots of people enjoy playing games on a big screen TV. In fact, it is the PC gamer community (of which I am a proud member) who is in the minority.

If everything that is wrong with the game can be summed up by a difference in taste when it comes to PC vs. Console gaming, then Bernd has every right to declare it an overwhelming success. And you have no more warrant to declare it otherwise than you would to claim that Haagen Dazs' latest best-selling ice cream flavor is a failure simply because you prefer chocolate.

You see, if the debate is simply about matters of taste, then the only objective argument is to point at the sales numbers. Nothing else really matters in the taste department. Its all just subjective opinion, no matter how much bluster is included. Further, the wise developer will ignore posts that come down to taste in favor of the sales data available.

TL;DR: If you want the developers to pay attention to your complaints, it would behoove you to demonstrate clearly that your complaints aren't simply a matter of taste.

Mansoon

Post by Mansoon » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:09

@ Alysin: I'm sure you would do a much better job in creating a game like this.
Last edited by Mansoon on Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

JessyBerbers
x4

Post by JessyBerbers » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:13

For me the game has Potential and LOTS of it, just needing to fix the UI, FIx the NPCs, fix the campaign, fix the bugs...

i had the Rhannas problem yesterday after playing an hour or so, got those 100 energy cells, and then it was supposed to dock at the right station, but instead somehow it dumped those energy cells someplace else.

devastat_

Post by devastat_ » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 20:15

So far I'm really enjoying the game. The amount of detail that has been put into the world, how detailed the starships are (from the outside) for example is mindblowing, and it puzzles me why people don't acknowledge that.

Weentastic

Post by Weentastic » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 21:47

The only positive things I can say about the game relate to its potential, and most of that lies in disregarding a lot of the design decisions the devs made. The game at its best represents a skeleton of a good game.

Just about every aspect of the game that is markedly different from the predecessors (and thus angering quite a bit of the community) appears to be at the proof of concept stage. If a developer with resources and talent in the area of concern was to take over, there would be hope for things like: a charming co-pilot, immersive and comprehensive interior environments, intelligent hirelings that intuitively follow your commands and a myriad of different objectives based on a simple AI, and of course a neat AND functional cockpit that serves to remind you that you are a pilot, not a ship.

But all these things in their current state would seem to require so much work from a talented team to even make them into a good version of themselves, and still, this would seem like a bad design decision when compared to the expectations of the fan base.

Torgrim
x3

Post by Torgrim » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 22:02

reanor wrote:Game is not so bad if you try it yourself. A lot of people rage without even trying the game.
I stoped reading right there my god, wtf have you been smoking.

jhxmti
x4

Post by jhxmti » Mon, 18. Nov 13, 22:07

phinehas68 wrote:If everything that is wrong with the game can be summed up by a difference in taste when it comes to PC vs. Console gaming, then Bernd has every right to declare it an overwhelming success. And you have no more warrant to declare it otherwise than you would to claim that Haagen Dazs' latest best-selling ice cream flavor is a failure simply because you prefer chocolate.
Except that, prior to release, all of the very strong messages from Egosoft were that this was not intended to be a console game (and all of the implied messages were that it had never been intended to be such).

Making a best-selling ice cream flavour is all well and good, but if you label it "Chocolate Flavour" when it tastes like strawberry then the only way you can call it a 'success' is by writing your definition of 'success' very carefully indeed.

Angrywheelchairman

Post by Angrywheelchairman » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 00:46

My conclusion so far:

There is a shitload of bugs which make the game unplayable. Up to now it's just an early alpha which had to be released due to a lack of money, the X-Box idea was a really bad one and I hope someone will get hanged for this to please the mob.

Nevertheless I'm fine with the general concept, so I'll be waiting for a patch converting it to a real PC game that is not in alpha stage anymore. I'm not expecting this to happen in less than half a year, sadly.

Nokhal
x4

Post by Nokhal » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:25

reanor wrote: Its 'my' type of a game where I can drop into my lazy chair when I come home from work and fire the game on my big screen TV and enjoy some space sim action.
Thats why it's so bad. YOu are not describing an X game, but a console shooter.

Sibilantae
x3tc

Post by Sibilantae » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:28

Nokhal wrote: Thats why it's so bad. YOu are not describing an X game, but a console shooter.
Actually, no he isn't. That's exactly the attitude I had when I played previous X games, and, while we're on the topic, *Crusader Kings*. Don't know about you, but I would actually be more stressed out by a console shooter.
(Oh no, you forgot to close the parenthesis! Someone might get in!

Aerror_K13
x3ap

Post by Aerror_K13 » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 01:34

For it to be solid, it first needs a solid foundation. The foundation is the ability to play the game as intended.
Fine, I can deal with bugs. Even the now-infamous too many routes. I COULD get past the second trade mission after a few hours and a couple edits but I found myself just looking at the screen like "what's the point?"
That's exactly where I'm at.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head and described my exact experience. I don't see any reason to review or comment on the game "in spite of the bugs" when the bugs are so prominent. When you really get down to it, I can definitely sink my teeth into the game for quite awhile, once it's fixed. Then it's just a matter of how many hundreds of hours I can dump into it compared to other X-games. Truthfully, probably not even 100 hours, until more mods come out, or until Egosoft revamps it drastically. But honestly, who knows. I ran into game-breaking bugs doing simple trade and combat; I read about people running into game-breaking bugs in every aspect of the game. If not for those bugs, I might actually enjoy something like boarding and capping, wealth-building etc, even with the drastically-different system and core-mechanics.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”