[MOD] NESA - Never Enter Stations Again (V0.9.2 Beta, 2nd Apr 2014)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mad_Joker
x3

[MOD] NESA - Never Enter Stations Again (V0.9.2 Beta, 2nd Apr 2014)

Post by Mad_Joker » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 18:46

This mod is outdated and not supported anymore since its functionality was integrated into the game by Egosoft. Do not download.

Author: Mad_Joker
Version: 0.9.2 Beta
Date: 02.04.2014

X:Rebirth Version: 1.30

NESA - Never Enter Stations Again

About

One of the things I don't like most about X Rebirth is the walking around stations. Therefore, I decided I'd do something about it.

Details

This mod adds an entry to the Universe menu (MAIN MENU/3/3) which allows to remotely talk to NPCs on stations. All NPC types should be supported, and you get the full dialog options (including hiring, shopping, show me your skills etc.). This mod also features extensive customization options (see Configuration section below).

However, please be aware that this is a beta release and as such should not be used in a real game. This mod might melt your PC, or destroy the world, who knows. So please use it with caution.

Download

[ external image ]

[ external image ].

Please be aware that you might have to create an account on the Nexus to download NESA. Creating an account is totally free (simply don't check any checkbox during the first step and click "Create Account"), even though you are presented with a choice of support plans (which I encourage you to do, since the site is great and deserves your support).

Installation

Extract and copy the "NESA" folder to the "Steam\steamapps\common\X Rebirth\extensions" folder (create the extensions folder if you don't have it already).

If you are upgrading from a previous version, simply overwrite all files (though backup your config first if you don't remember all your settings).

In early versions the mod was still using the "MainMenu.xml" file. Please check if you still have that file in your "Steam\steamapps\common\X Rebirth\extensions\NESA\md\" directory, and if so delete it.

Configuration

Note: If you are downloading NESA via the Steam workshop, you will have to execute the following steps to configure the mod:

1) Browse to the "Steam\steamapps\common\X Rebirth\extensions\nesa" folder
2) Rename the 'ext_01.cat' to 'ext_01_with_config.cat' and rename the 'ext_01.dat' to 'ext_01_with_config.dat'
3) Rename the 'ext_01_no_config.cat' to 'ext_01.cat' and rename the 'ext_01_no_config.dat' to 'ext_01.dat'
4) create an 'md' folder in the 'nesa' folder
5) copy the 'NESA_Config.txt' file to the 'md' folder
6) rename the 'NESA_Config.txt' file to 'NESA_Config.xml'

After extracting the "NESA" folder look for a file "Steam\steamapps\common\X Rebirth\extensions\NESA\md\NESA_Config.xml". In that file you will find all configuration parameters.

Since V0.9.1 NESA features a configuration utility which can be used to configure many aspects of the mod (see the Nexus for screenshots).

For all that have issue with upgrading to the newest version: One thing you can try is to

1) load the savegame with the old version
2) wait for the NESA update message (will only appear if the config changed)
3) save the game in a new slot
4) load the newly saved game

Compatibility

There are multiple reports of NESA being incompatible with the Remove Detailmonitor Animation mod. Therefore I recommend not using them together.

This mod is incompatible with any mods that change the lower left conversation option on the Universe main menu entry, and/or any of the "hiring, trading, repairing, upgrading" dialog entries of all NPCs.

Uninstallation

Delete the "NESA" folder from the "Steam\steamapps\common\X Rebirth\extensions" folder.

Known issues

- When you remotely hire a NPC, an animation of the NPC boarding your ship will be played, even though you are in space
- Since when you talk to NPCs and trade, hire etc. your head turns right, it might be that there are cases (though I couldn't cause one) where your head will stay in that direction. However, simply opening the main menu and browsing to (MAIN MENU/3/3) should fix any issues as a workaround, since the conversation will force you to look forward again.
- When you buy equipment while talking remotely, you have to dock and undock to see the changes in the cockpit. They should be applied correctly immediately though, it's only a visual bug. (thanks sebbi08 & danni)

Technical Details

For texts I am using page 99999.

Release history

- [17.11.2013 - V0.1.0 Experimental]
Initial Release
- [17.11.2013 - V0.2.0 Experimental]
Proper conversation exit when using (Close)
Properly disabled the menu item when docked
changed menu item label to "Open Comm Link" (other languages as well)
added french translation (thanks to socros and nourse)
The script now checks all stations in the current zone, and in the menu you can iterate over all of them (the number of NPCs can be very very large though)
- [18.11.2013 - V0.3.0 Experimental]
Added better menu structure. Now you first choose the NPC type, then you see all the NPCs
- [19.11.2013 - V0.4.0 Experimental]
Added many configuration parameters
Changed order of NPC types so that traders come first
- [20.11.2013 - V0.5.0 Beta]
Fix for issue of configs not refreshing properly
Added more configuration parameters (e.g. max trade, repair, hire, upgrade dist; disable in combat; and some more)
Changed the default config to be more balanced
- [20.11.2013 - V0.5.1 Beta Hotfix]
Fixed issue with configuration refresh
- [20.11.2013 - V0.6.0 Beta]
Updated for X Rebirth version 1.15
Slightly changed the way configuration works, hopefully it's more stable now
Added distance to NPC labels for mode 2 to make it more clear with whom you can trade etc.
Increased default distances for trading etc. in configuration
Fixed angled display issue when trading
Fixed "in combat" detection not working
- [20.11.2013 - V0.6.1 Beta Hotfix]
Fixed issue with main menu not working anymore
- [21.11.2013 - V0.7.0 Beta]
Added Italian translation (thanks Montana_88)
Sort NPCs based on distance to player
Added version checks
Added option to have NPC skills revealed without needing to complete the smalltalk minigame (only when not docked)
Changed mode 2 to have an additional level where the general NPC type must be selected
- [22.11.2013 - V0.8.0 Beta]
Fixed issue with NESA not correctly initializing on new game starts
Sorted docks by distance in mode 4
Fixed angled monitor issue for mechanics, and all hiring dialogs
Fixed skill reveal for defence officers (thanks MutantDwarf)
Added option to have target NPC marked (to remove mark open mission monitor, select the mission and click "Guidance")
- [23.11.2013 - V0.9.0 Beta]
Fixed angled monitor issue for repair menu
Added option to disable NESA for mission NPCs since talking to them remotely might break missions
Added Russian translation (thanks t13link)
Fixed Italian translation not working (was using wrong language code)
Removed relation "enemy" from combat detection; now only "kill"+"nemesis" take effect, i.e. enemies that are actively pursuing you
Remove marker on target NPC when conversation ends
Adapted for Patch 1.17
Removed savegame modification flag
- [24.11.2013 - V0.9.1 Beta]
Added configuration utility (thanks to Pimpace for inspiring me to do this)
- [02.04.2014 - V0.9.2 Beta]
Adapted for Patch 1.30
Changed default configured maximum enemy distance to 0m since many people were confused by this feature

Future Plans

- find a suitable ship upgrade and create a config option for this upgrade to be required
Last edited by Mad_Joker on Sat, 17. Jan 15, 11:58, edited 55 times in total.

nuttyprot
x3tc

Post by nuttyprot » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 18:58

This is why I love the X modding community. Sadly altho the interiors are nice they are to repetitive and tbh pointless.

stones1601

Post by stones1601 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:06

Well that didn't take long :) Just about to start a new free play so i'll give this a shot and see how she goes. I'll let you know if i do manage to break it somehow.

Cheers mate

Nifter

Post by Nifter » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:06

Excellent! Glad to see someone making progress on this!

The game's strength is not in its character interaction or interior design.

Good luck and looking forward to your progress. :)

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:09

Cool will be using it. I'll let you know if my PC melts ;) The world ending well no reason to let you know in that case :P

PS I'll still be entering stations. But only if I want to ;)

Halconnen
x3tc

Post by Halconnen » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:17

Pictures larger than 640x480/100KB are against forum rules.

That aside, I love you for doing this. <3

Mad_Joker
x3

Post by Mad_Joker » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:30

Halconnen wrote:Pictures larger than 640x480/100KB are against forum rules.

That aside, I love you for doing this. <3
For me the images are showing only as links. Do they show as full images for you?

Azalrion
x4

Post by Azalrion » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:36

I've found out why the names are random, when you use find_dock_location the multiple value when set to false just returns a random object from the list instead of the top one. I'm looking to see if there is a way round that, and it suggests there is by using "1" instead, but just testing that now.

Telkorenar
x3tc

Post by Telkorenar » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:41

Wonderful. It took a modder less than a day to figure out what the entire company of Egosoft couldn't do in seven years.

Well done, sir!

Inchronoth
x4

Post by Inchronoth » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:47

Thank you very much :D

Cheers

BloodSlinger

Post by BloodSlinger » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:51

Excellent.
ASUS R4E / 3960X - Hexa 4.8ghz + HT / 32g G.Skill 2133 Ripjaws-Z CL9 / 2x EVGA Titans / Corsair 900D - EK XTX 480 + XTX 240 / XSPC Twin D5 Dual + EK blocks everywhere / 2xPSU - EVGA SuperNOVA Nex1500 + Corsair 1050 HX Pro / Win7 Pro Retail x64 - S840 Pro 256 SSD + 2xRSSD-C400 512g (1T) RAID-0 + 2xWD Black 2x2TB Soft RAID-1 / 50' HDMI

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:54

So when you actually enter the station does it also place random NPCs there? Because depending on how this works, if you pull from those it will consequently also regenerate a new list of NPCs every time. Might that be the cause?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 19:56

I love you, man.
In a manly man way, you understand?

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here:
HUGE SUCCESS.

Mad_Joker wrote:(I am having trouble uploading the screens with thumbnails. Can anyone help with that? In preview everything looks fine, but once I submit the post everything gets screwed up.)
Basically you want a format like this

[url = http://url.image ] [ img] http://url.thumbnail [ /img] [ /url]
Last edited by Gazz on Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

graphicboy
xr

Post by graphicboy » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:04

Thank you thank you thank you. This is yet another way to avoid bugging/crashing your game and having to fight with it rather than simply enjoying it. Just installed it so we'll see how it goes.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:13

Wow, that was very fast, and it looks to fit in quite seamlessly. Nice work!

stk25
x3ap

Post by stk25 » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:17

Great work! Working fine here, thanks for making the game much less painful to play :D
I have one suggestion though, "Talk directly to NPC" looks awkward there, maybe change it to "Open comm-link" or something similar?
Anyway again good work, looking forward to more from you :wink:
Last edited by stk25 on Wed, 20. Nov 13, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Cratz
x4

Post by Cratz » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:17

Very nice mod thx, i wanted to increase the character speed inside station for explore quickly/talk in libraries/parameters.xml but no need anymore. 8)

Mad_Joker
x3

Post by Mad_Joker » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:19

Gazz wrote:Basically you want a format like this

[url = http://url.image ] [ img] http://url.thumbnail [ /img] [ /url]
I tried that, but that simply screws up the pics and links. At least when I submit the post. While previewing this looks perfect.

Azalrion
x4

Post by Azalrion » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:21

Mad_Joker, hope you don't mind got an update you might be interested in:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30584379/NESA.rar

It cleans the code up slightly (just some duplicate variables and lists that weren't needed), fixes it so that you can now scroll through all the actors on the station using more like you originally intended and possibly fixes the random dock location (although I think that might just have been the problem with not showing all the actors not actually random docks).

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 17. Nov 13, 20:25

stk25 wrote:Great work! Working fine here, thanks for making the game much less painful to play :D
I have one suggestion though, "Talk directly to NPC" looks awkward there, maybe change it to "Open comm-link" or something similar?
Anyway again good work, looking forward to more from you :wink:
If you go into NESA/t and open 0001-L044.xml, you can change the text. On line 5, by default:

Code: Select all

<t id="1">Talk remotely to NPC</t>
Change to:

Code: Select all

<t id="1">Open Comm Link</t>
Or similar. I don't know jack about modding, so of course tell me if I'm spreading misinformation. :)

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”