Any HD texture pack planned in the future?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

freemangl
x4

Any HD texture pack planned in the future?

Post by freemangl » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 13:27

The textures are too blurred now...
Is there ny HD texture pack planned in the future?

Thanks~

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 13:39

God I hope they don't make HD textures. What would be nice are high resolution textures beyond the messily 1920x1024 resolution. Typically textures tend to be the same dimensions if tiling. They could be of a massive size if its UV mapping.

To ask for HD textures on UV mapping would be pretty degrading. Imagine painting a picture on a letter size sheet of paper then stretching it out so that it fits your house. Would look pretty bad wouldn't it.

Sorry for the rant. It is irritating when HD is asked for when HD isn't even a great resolution.

Siigari
x4

Post by Siigari » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 13:45

Flybye wrote:God I hope they don't make HD textures. What would be nice are high resolution textures beyond the messily 1920x1024 resolution. Typically textures tend to be the same dimensions if tiling. They could be of a massive size if its UV mapping.

To ask for HD textures on UV mapping would be pretty degrading. Imagine painting a picture on a letter size sheet of paper then stretching it out so that it fits your house. Would look pretty bad wouldn't it.

Sorry for the rant. It is irritating when HD is asked for when HD isn't even a great resolution.
wat

freemangl
x4

Post by freemangl » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 13:53

Flybye wrote:God I hope they don't make HD textures. What would be nice are high resolution textures beyond the messily 1920x1024 resolution. Typically textures tend to be the same dimensions if tiling. They could be of a massive size if its UV mapping.

wait... from what I understand. you just need to:
512*512 -> 1024*1024
1024*1024 -> 2048*2048

It doesn't affect to UV mapping...

Siigari
x4

Post by Siigari » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 13:59

An HD texture for this game would be anything 1024x1024.

Honestly.

They *COULD* go 2048x2048 but that's memory intensive and a lot of rigs probably can't handle that. Lord knows when I installed 4096x4096 for Skyrim my computer crapped a few bricks when I tried to play that way but it was gorgeous for screenshots.

Basically it comes down to persistent memory usage. I'd *love* to see 2048x stations.

Flybye
x3tc

Post by Flybye » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 14:04

Siigari wrote:An HD texture for this game would be anything 1024x1024.

Honestly.

They *COULD* go 2048x2048 but that's memory intensive and a lot of rigs probably can't handle that. Lord knows when I installed 4096x4096 for Skyrim my computer crapped a few bricks when I tried to play that way but it was gorgeous for screenshots.

Basically it comes down to persistent memory usage. I'd *love* to see 2048x stations.
But it WAS gorgeous wasn't it? :)

When I built a map for Unreal Tournament III, I used a lot of 2048x2048. Part because it looked beautiful, and part because the console boys and their PS3s couldn't handle the high textures. I remember so may PS3s kids on the Epic forums crying for reduced textures, but I was like nope. It looks great. Need to run it? Sell the PS3 to fund a good gaming PC LOL.

Yeah 4096x4096 can get pretty intense. I haven't tinkered with modding in years, so I'm completely out of date as to how much vram and gpu powers even needed to run that.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”