Some first impressions

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

acerola
x3tc

Some first impressions

Post by acerola » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 10:21

Some first impressions:

1. Can't turn off the cockpit. It takes a big part of the screen that could be used to see more interesting stuff.

2. Can't fly the ship with the classic controls. Only the new "follow the cursor".

3. No autopilot or seta. If I want to dock, I must fly really close to the docking area and only then I can see an icon. I must fly around trying to find somewhere to dock.

4. Map is horrible. You can see the station, subareas and parts of the station. But they are mixed together. I mean, isn't indentation a common practice among programmers? Couldn't we have some indentation in the map list? I can't find anything. Can't zoom or move the map.

5. The menu system is weird. Some options seem misplaced. For example, the "return to ship" option is in the "crew" section.

6. Where is my shield and hull indicators? Ships are firing at me. I collide with stuff sometimes. But I see nothing going down.

7. Speed indicator? In X3 I could see my speed and target's speed. I could match them with a keybind. Now there is just a blue/red bar.

8. Cargo dropped by ships I destroyed doesn't show on the map.

9. Can't "target nearest enemy" or "target next enemy". Really guys. I could do that in X-Wing.

The list goes on. This game is definitely not X4. It's a completely different game.

Swallen

Post by Swallen » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 11:53

2. As far as I know, you can use the arrow keys and Z and X. But I don't know if that's what you mean.

6. On the top left part of the dashboard there is a gun-looking icon with two bars underneath it. Top bar is shields, bottom is hull.

8 and 9. Yeah, that supernova seems to have fried most circuits and now spaceships have only the most basic and primitive functions. The fact that the autopilot, a feature invented in 1912 in RL* is missing is a proof of this.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autopilot

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 11:58

9. Can't "target nearest enemy" or "target next enemy". Really guys. I could do that in X-Wing.

You have to double click on the ship to get a box round it which then show info on target. Not good when you are fighting though. Would have been better if they had a 'target nearest enemy' hot key you could press, really dumb in my opinion. :roll:

acerola
x3tc

Post by acerola » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 12:02

By classic controls I mean with the mouse. You move the mouse, ship turns. You stop, it stops. No cursor on screen. Like a FPS game.

I found the shield bar. It's the same as the afterburner. The manual said that there should be a percentage displayed there, above the bars.

I must add something to my list: multiple quicksave slots and autosaves. I was playing right now. Quicksave. Serious error. Relaunch game. Load. Serious error. Why so serious?

Since there is only one quicksave slot and no autosaves, I must start the game from zero.

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 12:09

Swallen wrote:The fact that the autopilot, a feature invented in 1912 in RL* is missing is a proof of this.
It's only missing, because Bernd doesn't like it. In his world, we shouldn't need autoplilot or even SETA in the game because, as he said it "you can cue up orders for your ships and you will be doing something interesting all the time, so no need for such things". There are no targeting controls either, because you can't fit them on the xbox controller, which we all know it is THE BEST method to control a starship simulator. Also, who needs a gravidar or a basicly functional map system, when you have a hot co-pilot who can tell Betty to shut up repeatedly. Who needs an easily accessible and functional interface with clear tables and menus, when you can have a hundred feet deep radial menu you can control with THE XBOX CONTROLLER. Also, who needs a HUD, when you can have a cockpit that obscures 50% of the screen, and tiny monitors that you can only see if you turn away from the windscreen. I mean srsly guys...

/sarcasm

Swallen

Post by Swallen » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 12:54

Playbahnosh wrote:It's only missing, because Bernd doesn't like it. In his world, we shouldn't need autoplilot or even SETA in the game because, as he said it "you can cue up orders for your ships and you will be doing something interesting all the time, so no need for such things". There are no targeting controls either, because you can't fit them on the xbox controller, which we all know it is THE BEST method to control a starship simulator. [...]
Well, Bernd, you are wrong. It breaks my immersion to no end to have missing the most basic functionality of any kind of advanced vessel. I don't care if the gameplay mechanics are so masterfully thought out these functions are no longer necessary: I don't want an arcade, mechanics-perfect game, I want a simulation of life as a freelancer in space. But then again, the gameplay mechanics of this game are just botched together in a very sad display of design skills.

EDIT: I hope Egosoft don't feel offended beyond how offended I feel for having been maneuvered into buying this game. In any case I mean no disrespect to the staff, but I really want my discomfort to get to them.

powerbrite

Post by powerbrite » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 13:15

this game is shitt,,,,,,its a arcade game ,map shitt,,,graphics ,bonnie but to much shit flying about ,interface shit,,,,oh look I get to walk on a staion again ,trade system shit,,,buss lanes spoil game shit,,space is vast ,,I cant be botherd :evil: not even modd,ers can save this heap of shit,,,,

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”