LOD / View Distance

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mrouija
x3

LOD / View Distance

Post by Mrouija » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 03:51

I don't want to alarm anybody, and I'm sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum-- but my overall fluidity [fps] improved notably when setting view distance and LOD to 100. I also have SSAO and Shadows set to off.

Perhaps these are backwards and 0 is the max setting-- or perhaps a thread that is doing the LOD calculations is holding up everything else. Either way, much less stutter and more overall fluidity with distance and LOD set to 100. Still not ideally where I'd like it, but definitely playable.

Either way- I'm sure you guys are getting a lot of heat [from people who have never played an X game on release date no doubt] but keep moving forward-- I think this game may well be a diamond in the rough.

Please do something about property management, navigation and those awful radial menus-- Presumably your hearts were in the right places, but I cannot fathom a place for them outside of explicit gamepad only controls.

I used to hit 'r' and select what I wanted to do with what, BAM... couple of seconds... now I don't even know where to begin! Sure there's some curve to adjust to with any new game, but it all seems very counter intuitive. The ship also stops when you're done fiddling with those radial menus... it's terrifying in a hostile environment.

More than anything else, more than performance etc, something has to be done about how the player interacts with navigation and trade.

I look forward to upcoming patches... I hope I can manage things better whenever they find their way out. Good luck ES!

Spec:
i5 2500k
8gb DDR3
NV/MSI 560Ti
Dedicated Sound [SBXfi]

P.S: Release a 64 bit executable. I was floored when I read it's a 32bit executable.

Fascism is Magic
x3ap

Re: LOD / View Distance

Post by Fascism is Magic » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 03:54

Mrouija wrote:Perhaps these are backwards and 0 is the max setting
LOD 0 basically means no LOD, higher LODs try to reduce object detail, so this is pretty much it.

ICO_hr

Post by ICO_hr » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 04:19

Fascism is Magic wrote:
LOD 0 basically means no LOD, higher LODs try to reduce object detail, so this is pretty much it.
Nope its the opposite.0 mean the lowest polycount models(LOD 3 or 4),100 is the highest polycount models(LOD 0).When you move the slider from 0 to 100 the game switches based on the distance from lower to higher polycount models.In other words more polygons on the scene.

Fascism is Magic
x3ap

Post by Fascism is Magic » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 04:23

ICO_hr wrote:
Fascism is Magic wrote:
Nope its the opposite.0 mean the lowest polycount models(LOD 3 or 4),100 is the highest polycount models(LOD 0).When you move the slider from 0 to 100 the game switches based on the distance from lower to higher polycount models.In other words more polygons on the scene.
OK, so the game's using the term backwards. Not exactly uncommon. vOv

(technically high LOD means high reduction in detail)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”