X3:TC and Logitech Extreme Pro Joystick

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mtlmaks
x3ap

X3:TC and Logitech Extreme Pro Joystick

Post by mtlmaks » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 00:00

Hi all! I recently got a Logitech Extreme Pro Joystick. I've been playing with my 360 controller for some time now, that I configured using JoyToKey, and although it's not perfect, I like it better than the mouse for flying ships, and I got pretty comfortable with it. I got the joystick thinking that I'd give a better immersion when flying my ships, and I read that some ppl seem to be using this or other joysticks. Now, I mapped the x and y axis of the Extreme Pro stick to the directional keys, but the control gets way too sensitive... It's almost impossible the steer the ship precisely to a point, and I don't think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I played around with the axis sensitivity and other setting, but that didn't change much. At the beginning the ship doesn't turn at all, and passing a certain point, it immediately starts to turn full speed, no way of having a progressive movement from slow to fast. My 360 controller does much better at that. Since there seem to be ppl using this joystick, I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done about this? Otherwise I'll probably stick to my 360 controller and keep the joystick for other games, although that would be a bit disappointing since I bought it specifically for that game... Anyone having experience with that joystick? I hope that X Rebirth will have proper support not only for joypads, but also for joysticks... But I guess we'll find out soon enough. ;) Thanks!

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 00:05

Joysticks have a deadzone, an area around center which is read as zero, since the stick never sits on true zero even if you let go of it. You should be able to turn it down in the logitech software.

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 00:07

Hi, thanks for your reply. I already tried turning down the dead zone, but that doesn't help much. The joystick sure does react quicker, but it's still lacking the progressive control...

spudsman
x3tc

Post by spudsman » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 02:27

Is it the force feedback or non-force feedback model? I have both and have used both with (most) of the X games.

Usually if you are having a centering issue, you turn up the deadzone, not down. X3TC has settings in the control profile/options for adjusting the deadzone (threshold to start turning) and sensitivity (how quickly the turning speed increases) in 5% increments. I've found that a sensitivity of 25% and deadzone of 20% works well with the Extreme 3D Pro in Terran conflict.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 08:26

Why are you mapping the joystick to directional keys? Keys are either on or off by their very nature, so of course you'll get a situation where you're either not turning at all or turning at full speed if you do it that way! You need to turn off JoyToKey and allow the game to use its built-in, fully functional joystick support--that way you'll get a full range of analogue movement and will be able to control things much better.

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 18:08

Hi guys,

those are some interesting thoughts - I haven't noticed those specific joystick settings in X3:TC yet, and I mapped the keys as I figured that was the way how you were supposed to do it... I initially mapped to the directional keys since that are the keys that are used with the keyboard, and after mapping them to my 360 controller thumbstick using JoyToKey it works very well actually. JoyToKey wasn't active btw. when I used the Joystick, the keys are mapped using the provided software from logitech. Spudsman, I guess it doesn't have built in force feedback, unless you are referring to the spring that pulls it back to thecenter, which can be considered as some kind of FF... Did you actually use the Logitech software to map the stick axes, and if yes, how did you map them? I'll definitely have a look at the specific joystick setting in X3:TC, and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 18:16

Maybe map the joysticks buttons or triggers to keyboard keys - but leave the stick part alone and have X3 handle it directly so that it can handle analog input.

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Sat, 26. Oct 13, 18:25

That's it! I just deactivated the logitech software and let the game handle the joystick and it works like a charm! Now I can control the ship very precisely and smoothly, even better than with the 360 controller, awesome! :D So I guess I would use the logitech software just to map the different keys, not the stick, but maybe there's a way to do this directly in X3:TC as well - I'll check it out... Anyway, thanks a lot guys, I'm happy now! :)

Baratheon79
x3tc

Post by Baratheon79 » Sun, 27. Oct 13, 15:20

mtlmaks wrote:So I guess I would use the logitech software just to map the different keys, not the stick, but maybe there's a way to do this directly in X3:TC as well - I'll check it out... Anyway, thanks a lot guys, I'm happy now! :)
Don't need to use the Logitech software for this either, as you can in fact also do this within the game. In the game menu (where you can save/reload/exit/etc.) there's a "Controls" section where you can alter the various controls. For the most part, the default joystick controls should be fine, but if you have extra buttons, you can put those to use as well.

I use a Thrustmaster T16000M stick (with the throttle disabled, as the game has some minor issues with joystick throttle controls) and I often map functions I use frequently during combat to the buttons on the base. (Things like the "turrets hold fire" hotkey and turbo booster from the AP bonus pack, for example.)

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Sun, 27. Oct 13, 17:17

Yep, got it all figured out now, everything is mapped directly in the game, no logitech software needed. :) The throttle works ok with the Extreme 3d Pro btw. Thanks!

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Sun, 27. Oct 13, 20:27

A suggestion I would give for you is to use the 8-axis hat for navigating menus. Saves having to go back and forth between a mouse.

mtlmaks
x3ap

Post by mtlmaks » Sun, 27. Oct 13, 20:28

Yep, done that. :)

JohnARRR
x4

Re: X3:TC and Logitech Extreme Pro Joystick

Post by JohnARRR » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 19:46

Thanks for all the trial and error, mti_____ I have just bought X4 and really want to use my Logitech Extreme Pro 3D there. I initially read this post looking for an exact joystick mapping layout. But after reading all the pain it was for just X and Y to function nicely I will start there. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”