Rebirth: Save Game Flexiblity

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TheZapper
x4

Rebirth: Save Game Flexiblity

Post by TheZapper » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 17:21

I haven't seen it addressed, so I'll just ask and see if a dev takes the bait and answers:

1) Does Rebirth offer any more 'clean' ways for save game files?

I'd like to 'point' my save game directory to something that multiple machines can get to the save game file without fancy scripts or other non-game related wizardry. (i.e. "please don't hard code the game to save it's files in some Win7/WIn8 MyDocuments or MyGames directory; let the user specify 'where').

2) Does Rebirth do any type of compression or 'something' to make save game files smaller (file size) or more efficient (load time)?

TZ

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 17:53

Would be rad to be able to save to a Dropbox folder. :) I'd like to know about this as well.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Ericius11
x3tc

Post by Ericius11 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 17:54

If you don't mind, I'd like to expand your list of questions...
1) Does Rebirth offer any more 'clean' ways for save game files?
2) Does Rebirth do any type of compression or 'something' to make save game files smaller (file size) or more efficient (load time)?
3) How will saving the game be handled? Will we be able to save anywhere, or do you think there will be "save kioks" on stations so we still have to dock?
"By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain."
H. G. Wells

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 17:56

That too. I hope spending Salvage Insurance is a thing of the past.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 17:58

What about the Steam Cloud like we have for Civilization V. Why could we not use something like that since we have to use steam anyways.

Ericius11
x3tc

Post by Ericius11 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 18:02

Meh... I'd rather avoid using Steam Cloud. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam, but not everyone does. And if they do come out with a noSteam.exe then some people would miss out on that functionality. I'd prefer Tenlar Scarflame's approach.

To get back to the OP's question though, I think that would be a great question to ask the Dev's. There's a topic right now on the forum's where we're creating a list of 10 questions to ask them. Why not post this question there?
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=345170&start=0
"By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain."
H. G. Wells

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 18:20

Yep, you can save your game progress while in space.

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 18:39

I use the x3ap save games in drop box cloud, because I on many different places and computers. So that Works great for me. So I would think that it will also be possible with X rebirth.

tatann
x3ap

Post by tatann » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 18:42

I use SugarSync, it lets me synchronize any folder of my choice on my computer, no need for a special "box" folder. I can't believe how Dropbox and Google Drive have so much success considering this issue.

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 18:56

fun4me2 wrote:What about the Steam Cloud like we have for Civilization V. Why could we not use something like that since we have to use steam anyways.
Steam Cloud is confirmed. Just look at X:R store steam page. But you can disable this option in anytime and just save on hard drive.

P.

stilgarpl
x3tc

Post by stilgarpl » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:06

bufi wrote: Steam Cloud is confirmed. Just look at X:R store steam page. But you can disable this option in anytime and just save on hard drive.

P.
You don't have to disable anything. Steam saves are saved on hard drive, as normal saves, and then synced when you exit the game.

It's the best option and you can use your own syncing methods regardless if you have Steam Cloud enabled or not.

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:16

stilgarpl wrote: You don't have to disable anything.
Steam saves are saved on hard drive, as normal saves, and then synced when you exit the game.
Right, but if you want to play in offline mode, Steam Cloud should be disabled.
It's making troubles while syncing. Fallout:NV and Skyrim had this problem afair.

P.

Phaser Rave
x4

Post by Phaser Rave » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:35

I know you said this isn't what you want, but I thought I'd post it, as it could help you or anyone else looking to use their saves across multiple machines easily.

I haven't tried it in this situation, but I think it will work. If you've got two computers on the same network, you can make a symbolic link on each of them to one central location, linking the default save folder to a new save folder in a shared folder.

Before Steam had the feature to choose which drive you installed games on, I had to use this to direct installed games to my E drive, as Steam was on my C drive, which was nearly out of room. It's quite a useful feature in windows, and I think linux has it, too.
Last edited by Phaser Rave on Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor: You'd better tell the captain we've got to land as soon as we can. This woman has to be gotten to a hospital.
Stewardess: A hospital? What is it?
Doctor: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:35

...because Bethesda's lazy implementation.

Steam cloud may or may not be automatized. It can be used as dropbox (full auto) or as storage. Syncing problems can be solved in game which could easily offer you to use local or remote data (if there is dispute which are actual). If Bethesda chooses cloud is better even when it is empty.. it's Bethesda's fault.

But data are always saved locally. And you can map that directory to whatever storage you use to make a backups. For any game actually. See NTFS hardlinks. Using them even for temporary moving games to SSD and back.

gruff83

Post by gruff83 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:47

I wish there was an option for no save games, you just re-spawn at the nearist shipyard; any fleet ships lost in battle should be lost for good - similar to eve.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:50

Wait, so when I die, the universe keeps going, but everything I own spontaneously explodes?

What am I, a James Bond villain?

...On second thought, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.
Last edited by A5PECT on Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:52, edited 3 times in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:50

Earth ultimatum IV. wrote:Yep, you can save your game progress while in space.
You gonna bet your life on that?

You and your 100% certainties again that you just can't back up.

I think Steam Cloud works great. However you can always use google cloud or any network shared drive if you just assign it a drive letter and map on your computer.

Ericius11
x3tc

Post by Ericius11 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 19:58

A5PECT wrote:...On second thought, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.
What doesn't? Respawning after death or being a James Bond Villain. Both sound rather fun. Mwahaha!!!!! :fg:

Ahem... anyways...The respawn method would be a nice way to ensure people don't abuse their save feature. However, I think it would be a rather large break from immersion. How would you explain it? You cloned your DNA before death?
H. G. Wells

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 20:08

A5PECT wrote:Wait, so when I die, the universe keeps going, but everything I own spontaneously explodes?

What am I, a James Bond villain?

...On second thought, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.
All I want is some freaking Skunk with some freaking lazors on its head!

How about no Scott...

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Fri, 18. Oct 13, 20:10

Ericius15 wrote: Ahem... anyways...The respawn method would be a nice way to ensure people don't abuse their save feature. However, I think it would be a rather large break from immersion. How would you explain it? You cloned your DNA before death?
Flashbacks in Codemasters titles(F1, Grid) just works fine and giving a lots of fun ;)

P.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”