Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 01:43

Triaxx2 wrote:Go for MARS instead of Marine Repair. Goblins can only repair to 80% I think and drones are easier to come by than marines. Plus the ship needs to basically sit still for them to do their stuff, so there's another point of balance. Even if you don't use it for anything else, it's still balanced.
That is a very intelligent solution. Also, if you want to be able to dock and repair fighters on a carrier without unbalancing your game you can use ADS or CODEA, although CODEA is absurdly expensive. It costs the same and is less hassle to just buy new ships. With ADS you still have to hire mechanics and you pay them an hourly retainer to keep them on and a much more expensive rate when they're actually working. (ADS will also let you train marines on m1's...)

...not sure how any of that fits in with Unit Zero, though...
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 01:53

Well, they do both automate the process of carrier operations, and you could say that the drain in credits is upkeep on the maintenance droids. The more work they're doing, the more it costs to keep the servos and other things operating at full capacity.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Idleking
x3ap

Post by Idleking » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 10:00

But that might be the problem with those addons.
Since he isn't allowed to do any trading, including selling ships, the only way of making money is (kill) missions for pirates.
Or going to the Yaki at the other end of the universe :P
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

[ external image ]
Litcube wrote:Don't succumb to the "I figured it'd be ok".

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 13:21

Idleking wrote:But that might be the problem with those addons.
Since he isn't allowed to do any trading, including selling ships, the only way of making money is (kill) missions for pirates.
Or going to the Yaki at the other end of the universe
Well, the very fact that Kirlack is considering hiring marines at all implies that some kind of trading is on the agenda. Be it with pirates or the Yaki.

Speaking of which, both the Pirate Guild and Yaki Armada addons seriously improve the trading opportunities with those factions. The YA adds a Yaki equipment dock and a number of mobile command stations that will give you "missions" and the Pirate Guild makes the pirates much more organized and viable as trading partners, including shipyards in certain sectors. They too will offer additional opportunities to make money. My point is both of those could favor the game you're playing, depending on how you decide to play it.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 14:49

I've actually been considering a lot of options over the last week or so :)

For instance, with my no trading rule, can I buy engine/rudder/cargo bay upgrades? I didn't consider that when I was writing the rule set. And I've already bought some to upgrade the P.

So, where does that leave me in terms of repairs? Can I justify getting my ships repaired at a shipyard? Obviously I'd need to make friends before that becomes an option, but is it breaching the rules?

Pirate Guild and Yaki Armada both give me access to all kinds of software and extensions that I can't buy anywhere else, but also provide a means for me to make money 'on the fly' by taking out race marked bounty hunters. They'll also provide a whole range of new missions for me to attempt. And having the Pirate Guild shipyard adds a few stations that I couldn't otherwise buy, including Rehab facilities, but again I'm somewhat loathe to break my rules...

*sigh*

I really don't know. There's a lot I want to do with this game, but I'm not sure how much I can 'get away' with without breaking the fundamental rules set at the start.

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Re: Status: Online - A Xenon DiD (TC 3.2)

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 15:13

Kirlack wrote: Rules:
  • 1: No trade. If I live long enough to befriend anyone, except the Yaki or the pirates, I still can't trade with them.
    6: Marines. If I can ever buy them they must come from a pirate source, and they must be traded for a slave of the same race.
All depends on how you interpret your own intent in the rules, I guess.

The way I read 6, using your own rehab facility would break the rule since you aren't a pirate source and you can't trade with yourself either, but we'd all read it differently.

1's wording is somewhat ambiguous though, except for those first two words. No trade. I hate to say that because I'd love to see what you could do with a Xenon allied with pirates. You did set it up for the trading to be justified with Unit Zero recognizing himself as Matey :P That's why I'm inclined to focus more on the except the Yaki or the pirates bit, but hey, I didn't write the rules. I just enjoy the story.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 18:34

Ok. The 'no trade' rule was aimed primarily at not trading basic wares, or buying weapons etc from factories and docks. Since I've allowed myself to trade with the Pirates or Yaki though, and adding the Guild/Armada mods would give them a broader range of wares I could trade, I'm just going to have to bite that particular bullet :p

Regarding the self owned rehab fac, that still kind of falls within the rules. I'd have to buy it from a pirate source (Pirate Guild Shipyard), and I'd have to provide slaves (plus energy and food [not sure if it's nostrop or space fuel]) for conversion into marines. If I go down that route though, I might add computer components or microchips to the rehab facilities' resources list. That would represent Unit Zero attempting to 'replicate' his own condition, by creating cyborgs...

Make sense? Viable?? :p

Song Of Obsidian
x3ap

Post by Song Of Obsidian » Sat, 29. Jun 13, 19:54

:D Mhm. Now no more whining about the rules! Get to writing so machine syntax can give us more headaches :P

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 30. Jun 13, 01:43

You might consider the Marauder Shipyard. Very piratical, very interesting ship selection, and it can both repair and if you bring some stuff, tune your ships.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sun, 30. Jun 13, 02:24

Song Of Obsidian wrote::D Mhm. Now no more whining about the rules! Get to writing so machine syntax can give us more headaches :P
:lol: I actually played chapter 5 almost a week ago, but that 'machine syntax' has been really slowing me down on writing. I have to keep going back to earlier chapters and making sure the syntax stays the same :( This whole machine writing thing is not only tedious (on occasion), but bloody hard!
Triaxx2 wrote:You might consider the Marauder Shipyard. Very piratical, very interesting ship selection, and it can both repair and if you bring some stuff, tune your ships.
Never actually played with the Marauder shipyard before. How does it stand up alongside Pirate Guild? 'cos I think that one's a must :)

Nathancros

Post by Nathancros » Sun, 30. Jun 13, 15:50

talkin like a machine is hard, so hard that i decided to stick with something that will let me retain what small amount of my sanity remains.

as for rules.

Pirates only i say. but no wares trading/weapons trading, just repairs/engine cargo rudder/MAYBE sell Ships*tho make it that it has to be a certain race *Roll a dice once a playthrough?*
Nullam et arcu vitae magna instabilitate omnia solvit

Am a recovering Addict of the CREATIVE FORUM.

Long live X3

Poseidon
x3tc

Post by Poseidon » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 18:21

Kirlack wrote:
Song Of Obsidian wrote::D Mhm. Now no more whining about the rules! Get to writing so machine syntax can give us more headaches :P
:lol: I actually played chapter 5 almost a week ago, but that 'machine syntax' has been really slowing me down on writing. I have to keep going back to earlier chapters and making sure the syntax stays the same :( This whole machine writing thing is not only tedious (on occasion), but bloody hard!
Sounds like you need to write a script or something. Excel sheet with Object, Action, Result columns. Fill in the blanks, push a button, output text file in proper syntax. Then, you can break it into sections and add flavor text. I can hack one together for you if you like.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 4. Jul 13, 18:36

I completely forgot to respond. The Marauder Shipyard is pretty awesome. It's independent of the pirate factions, so even if the pirates hate you, you can land there.

It sells things like the Pirate Kestrel, Blastclaw, it also sells IBL fabs I believe, as well as a couple of other stations you can't normally get. I believe it sells the rehab facility as well, but I've got to check.

jorganos
x3tc

Post by jorganos » Tue, 9. Jul 13, 10:56

Weird, my neural interfaces are acting up. Incoming signals... hey, that's better than space weed. Just look at ... the ... patterns ... reordering ...

Communication detected. Positive feedback loop activity: high. Follow.

-------

I don't suppose this DiD calls for wing-borgs?

Once you start chipping sentients, make sure they are fed regularly...

I suppose it would be hard to script, but if you were using the ship personnel mod, you'd need to chip every single operative entity on board, plus the pilot(s).

Libelnon
x4

Post by Libelnon » Mon, 5. Aug 13, 18:04

Hey again all, Lib here, back after a long period of no X (the horror!)

Just going to say that the Split did ally with the Xenon once upon a time - so although it may twist the rules a bit, perhaps a 'rogue element' of the Split could be interested in rebooting said 'alliance'. That could then be the answer to your trade problem.

Then again, I could be completely mad.

Glad to see you're still at it, Kirlack 8)
Sorry, were you expecting a witty one-liner?

Return to “Creative Universe”