X3: Albion Prelude 3.0 controller support.... what was egosoft smoking?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lion Around
x3tc

X3: Albion Prelude 3.0 controller support.... what was egosoft smoking?

Post by Lion Around » Thu, 16. May 13, 05:59

I just tried out the new controller support for X3: AP. Seriously, what were the developers smoking? The set up completely ignores the controls for rolling your ship.... How is this even supposed to be usable, let alone playable?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Thu, 16. May 13, 10:02

I would tend to agree with the general sentiment as in 2.5.3 the right stick of my controller was configured to straff up when pulled back and straff down when pushed forward. As of 3.0 they are inverted and there is no apparent way to change them back. In addition, straff seems to be much less effective than it was before.

However, I do have roll mapped to the Left/Right axis of the right hand stick of my gamepad which I configured in 2.5.3 (or prior) and is unchanged in 3.0.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 16. May 13, 10:37

you could always manually configure it to use Roll

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Thu, 16. May 13, 13:30

Yes, maybe the default setup is not the best, but as stated it can be played with.

So let's turn this thread useful and get some controller layout suggestions shall we?

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Thu, 16. May 13, 16:54

How is called option for video enhanced system? (default L-alt on keyboard)

tia.

Roozi

Post by Roozi » Thu, 16. May 13, 17:29

Hi, maybe im blind but i can't see the roll option for analog sticks. How can i change it to roll?
Thanks

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 16. May 13, 17:40

the Sticks are 2 axis, rolls is only a single axis.

u'll need to manually define it to one of the 4 stick axis

Roozi

Post by Roozi » Thu, 16. May 13, 17:47

oh, that makes sense. Thanks for the fast response

CandiedMicrobe
x3tc

Post by CandiedMicrobe » Fri, 17. May 13, 06:15

Awesome! This update isn't a waste as far as the xbox controller support goes now! Thank you!

rifter08
x4

Post by rifter08 » Thu, 23. May 13, 02:36

I'm loving the controller. I used to get cramps fiddling around with the tiny menus, but now i hardly touch the keyboard. And you can map any button to any command you like. You're not limited to the options on the controller scheme page, you can choose any of the commands in the control keyboard options and simply press the controller button of your choice.
Cheers Egosoft, a game developer that actually listens to its players.
Who would of thunk it.

J.T. Marsh
x3ap

Post by J.T. Marsh » Thu, 23. May 13, 03:51

i sure hope the controller support works well ... i've know about this game for years , and while pretty , i've never wanted to sit down and play it with a mouse and keyboard ...

The entire reason i bought the game was BECAUSE of the controller support ...

i'm one of those guys that their gearing rebirth towards , you know the simple ones who want to lay on their sofa and play the game on their big screen ...

(p.s if you don't see the little check next to my name right away , that's because the game hasn't finished downloading on steam and i have yet to activate it , but i will once finished )
I'd rather be alive than a legend.

Khaysis
x3tc

Post by Khaysis » Tue, 23. May 17, 22:41

The only thing that I have to say about this update is that it works naively with my Sidewinder Dual Strike from 1999. This controller has not been updated in years. It's honestly beautiful. I feel that alone makes this update astonishing and amazing.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 24. May 17, 00:34

The sentiment is appreciated, but the thread you posted it in is 4 years old and may well contain out of date information. For that reason alone I'm going to lock it. :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”