Bullwinkle's List

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 01:04

Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Mon, 29. Apr 13, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

quantum36

Post by quantum36 » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 01:22

thanks bullwinkle.

I got it to work

only thing that sucks is only one ship in the entire galaxy has a jump beacon.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 01:23

Yes, jump beacons are rare.

Check again later. There will be more. Not many -- but they will appear from time to time.

quantum36

Post by quantum36 » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 04:10

have you ever considered making a script that would generate jump beacons.

It would make sense if you could have them manufactured aboard your valhalla. But they would only work for a period of time and then self destruct.

With that script you would also have to have resources aboard the valhalla to manufacter one.

I think there should be something like this because honestly what good is a valhalla if you need a uber rare device in order to move it.

I would think that the Terrans who designed it would have had a lot more common sense. Then what the game is imposing in order to move this juggernaut

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 05:13

quantum36 wrote:what good is a valhalla if you need a uber rare device in order to move it?
Well, really, "What good is a Valhalla?" ;)

Valhalla looks great on paper, but is really just a big target in-game. Woden is twice the ship. Try it.

For jumping, try Beacon Jump. It appears to be perfect for the Valhalla (although I have not tried it).

You might also try Ringless Gate Mod {Vanilla Safe}. I don't know whether that would allow you to jump your Valhalla normally but it is worth a try.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Thu, 2. May 13, 06:12

DrBullwinkle,

Would it be possible for you to have the ship dock at the nearest station or homebase when its done repairing? That would be really useful!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 2. May 13, 06:44

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 2. May 13, 08:02

joelR wrote:
DrBullwinkle wrote:What do you want to accomplish and why?
This is using the "repair ship" or repair ships in sector" command.

After the repairship is done repairing it would dock at its homebase or the nearest station. This way it just doesn't sit in the sector like a derp.
Oh, you had the right thread the first time... I did not understand which script you meant.

The Repair Ship command is a command that you only use occasionally (typically on one or two ships). I think it makes sense for it to be a manual command, which you would follow with another manual command, right?

Repair Ships in Sector is a bit different. I can see how a default command might be convenient after it. But, really, which command? Flying to a safe station is a dangerous choice for a ship with no engine tunings or shields, and it is messy to have ships scattered around the universe. It is better that they remain where they are, so that whatever defenses you put in place can guard them.

How about loading repaired ships onto a carrier so that you can take them wherever you want them to go?

Similarly to SCS, Repair Ships in Sector could dock repaired ships. An Aran would be a particularly good Mobile Repair Ship -- add some marines, Repair Ships in Sector command, and SCS and you could handle any situation; including on-the-job training.

Also, I think that a more common use of Repair Ships in Sector is to use it in your HQ sector. Any ship you send to that sector gets repaired automatically. In that case, leaving the ships where they are is probably the best thing to do with them; until the player can decide what he/she wants to do.

Have I missed any use cases (ways of using the script)?

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Thu, 2. May 13, 08:19

DrBullwinkle wrote:
joelR wrote:
DrBullwinkle wrote:What do you want to accomplish and why?
This is using the "repair ship" or repair ships in sector" command.

After the repairship is done repairing it would dock at its homebase or the nearest station. This way it just doesn't sit in the sector like a derp.
Oh, you had the right thread the first time... I did not understand which script you meant.

The Repair Ship command is a command that you only use occasionally (typically on one or two ships). I think it makes sense for it to be a manual command, which you would follow with another manual command, right?

Repair Ships in Sector is a bit different. I can see how a default command might be convenient after it. But, really, which command? Flying to a safe station is a dangerous choice for a ship with no engine tunings or shields, and it is messy to have ships scattered around the universe. It is better that they remain where they are, so that whatever defenses you put in place can guard them.

How about loading repaired ships onto a carrier so that you can take them wherever you want them to go?

Similarly to SCS, Repair Ships in Sector could dock repaired ships. An Aran would be a particularly good Mobile Repair Ship -- add some marines, Repair Ships in Sector command, and SCS and you could handle any situation; including on-the-job training.

Also, I think that a more common use of Repair Ships in Sector is to use it in your HQ sector. Any ship you send to that sector gets repaired automatically. In that case, leaving the ships where they are is probably the best thing to do with them; until the player can decide what he/she wants to do.

Have I missed any use cases (ways of using the script)?
What I mean is that the ship that is repairing docks somewhere, not the ship thats repaired.

To answer your question though:

I think its great as it is. Its an awesome addition to A.S.S./Dector.

Docking at a nearby ship or station isnt essential but isnt that what youre going to do anyhow?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 2. May 13, 08:28

I see. You might have said that the first time (or two). ;)

I will consider it for the next version. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • (In the future, could you refrain from quoting entire messages, please (except in PM's)? It is confusing and clutters up the thread with visual "noise". Either quote only what you respond to (best approach) or do not quote at all. Thanks!)

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 2. May 13, 16:57

joelR wrote:I think its great as it is. Its an awesome addition to A.S.S./Dector.
Good; thank you.

Docking at a nearby ship or station isnt essential but isnt that what youre going to do anyhow?
Not always, no, and that causes a problem for the script: to figure out when to dock after repairing and when not to dock.

Repair Ships: Maybe you want to dock after repairing, or maybe you want to repair another ship?

Repair Ships in Sector: This is often run on a ship in the player's home sector. So, no, docking is not the right thing to do... continuing to wait for another ship is the right thing to do. Which is what the script does now.

The time when docking seems most obvious is when the player calls the repair ship to clean up after a battle, then wants the ship to return home. OK, returning home would be great here, but how does it know where "home" is, and how does it know when you want to wait for another ship or return home?

So I will give the problem some thought, but I do not have an easy solution off the top of my head. Best idea so far: If the repair ship has a homebase set, then return after repairing all ships in the sector. Otherwise, wait for another ship to repair.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Thu, 2. May 13, 17:16

Repair Ships: Maybe you want to dock after repairing, or maybe you want to repair another ship?

Repair Ships in Sector: This is often run on a ship in the player's home sector. So, no, docking is not the right thing to do... continuing to wait for another ship is the right thing to do. Which is what the script does now.
Those are good points. I hadn't considered that.

Best idea so far: If the repair ship has a homebase set, then return after repairing all ships in the sector. Otherwise, wait for another ship to repair.
This would be useful. Thats about the only time where it would make "sense" for the pilot to dock somewhere.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 2. May 13, 17:26

joelR wrote:
Best idea so far: If the repair ship has a homebase set, then return after repairing all ships in the sector. Otherwise, wait for another ship to repair.
This would be useful. Thats about the only time where it would make "sense" for the pilot to dock somewhere.
OK, that is something that I can do.

Thanks for the suggestion, joelR.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Thu, 2. May 13, 17:28

OK, that is something that I can do.

Thanks for the suggestion, joelR.
Awesome. You're alright Drbullwinkle :P

d_ka
x3ap

Post by d_ka » Sun, 5. May 13, 17:24

Hi, Dr.B

Since i´ve installed your hacked version of Improved Boarding ( by Cycrow ) i have had an enormous amount of fun ( 17 boardings, wich brought me lots of new cool ships, or cash ). So far for the feedback, and thanks a lot!

Now, not all my boarding operations were succesfull ( well, actually only 2 of 17, if you count the first test ride with no chances for success ). The last one was an OTAS ship ( Intelligence Service, XRM, so it even sounded plausible that i met a worthy oponents ), and i was quite surprised, because my troopers have managed to get to the central core...and then failed. It was no frustration at all in this, but a thought came to my mind: Would it be possible ( under specific circumstances ) to let your marines deploy a "C4" as a "good buy gift", and let the target ship detonate? ( i have had to destroy the ship anyway ).
Just a random idea, which could spice up the things? May be? :)

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 5. May 13, 20:18

Yes, it would be possible. But, then, you would not be able to try again with better Hackers. :)

I have some ideas in mind for improving some of the end-actions from boarding. I will keep your suggestion in mind for when I get around to adding them. Somewhen. ;)

d_ka
x3ap

Post by d_ka » Mon, 6. May 13, 00:34

Good to know, thx for the quick respond.

And yes, the same thought came to my mind: i could try to board the ship again. But:
1. All my marines where 5* in hacking ( actually all disciplines, except fighting )
2. All my marines survived
3. The hull of the ship ( it was an M6 ) was so badly damaged, that it wouldn´t have made to any station to get repaired ( 4% iirc, that´s what happens when you let 8x Flack keep the shields low... ^^ )

So, when all this circumstances would be present, esp. the hull value under 10% ( maybe <5%) - which actually means no chances to successfully board the ship again, the "ring trick" could be initiated.
Maybe, one more variable could play a role: some of the marines got killed during the mission ( and the already frustrated comrades, who haven´t managed to hack the central computer despite beeing elite hackers, decide to take a revenge, and blow up that damn vessel! )

EDIT: ( i can´t answer again, so editing )

I was not aware you can repair enemy ships that way!
I haven´t experienced it myself, but won´t the enemy ship try to kill your marines? ( here comes my lack of exp. with boarding before )
OK, this time i was flying a Carrier, so not a real problem to me, but if my ship would be in danger, the detonation of the enemy ship, which still poses a threat, could be the reason the "captain" orders the marines to blow up the target before leaving, i guess?
Last edited by d_ka on Mon, 6. May 13, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 6. May 13, 00:40

Yeah, hull percentage could be part of the decision.

You could, of course, use the Marines Repair Target hotkey (in Marine Repairs and Training) to fix up the ship so that you could try again.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 9. May 13, 13:39

Updated

Signal Targeted (now with Emergency Jump)

v1.06 Added automatic Emergency Jump.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 10. May 13, 18:24

Updated

Signal Targeted (now with Emergency Jump)
[ external image ]

v1.07 2013-05-09
- Updated Emergency Jump to work for all ship classes.
- Begins task if there is nothing to interrupt (jumps even if ship has no current orders).
- Improved auto-update on new version.
- Cleaned up setup script.
- Added compatibility with Emergency Jump script.

New
Emergency Jump
[ external image ]
More reliable emergency jumping based on settings in your Command Console.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”