Bullwinkle's List

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 06:11

I do not know why you are having trouble with the custom wares, modisch, but custom wares can be finicky. I use both Improved Boarding and Upgrade Kits in my game, so it should be possible to get them to work.

You used the Plugin Manager to install both?

You closed the PM and waited a few seconds before starting the game?

You do not have EMP installed? (Important: don't!)

If you continue to have trouble then I can probably make ware-free versions of both. That would settle the issue for sure. (But the custom wares are fun if you can get them to work.)

What language are you playing in? Namyboy recently reported a bug in the German language file for Improved Boarding. I will update it in the next version.
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Mon, 1. Apr 13, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

psyclon

Post by psyclon » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 08:53

Hello, DrBullwinkle,

Salutations from a total script/mod virgin! :)

Could you please recommend some "performance" scripts/mods? My machine is not so good to start with and now that i've explored every sector, built numerous gigaplexes and purchased countless ships, things are getting slower and slower. Despite playing on low settings, i now simply cannot enter sectors with large complexes because i'll have to watch a slideshow. Big battles are also becoming very troublesome from a performance point of view. I remember reading something about fog removal, civilian ships removal, complex tubes removal, etc. I just need some direction to the good stuff, i will try to figure out how to use it by myself.

Thanks in advance!
"Cobras are overpowered" - said no Cobra owner ever

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 13:24

psyclon wrote:Could you please recommend some "performance" scripts/mods?
Complexes and combat are the two most common causes of lag. They can be improved dramatically:

Complex "Cocktail" Alternative for Closed-Loop Complexes Only
If you build closed-loop complexes, then Litcube's Saturn Complex Hub is an alternative to the above combination. (I do not make closed-loop complexes, but some players prefer them.)

Combat Performance
  • Improved Combat Frame Rate. (I use the Plugin Manager to install this only when needed for a large battle, then I uninstall it for more visually-appealing weapon effects).

Graphics
Changing these may or may not affect performance, depending on your equipment:
  • Reduce (or turn off) Anti-Aliasing.
  • Set View Distance to Medium.
  • Maybe: Set Texture Quality to Medium.

Other Stuff
Schabernack put together an excellent combination of other performance enhancers: minimax (better performance & playability while keeping atmosphere) [mod]

Minimax includes:
  • Lower Poly Asteroids: Less Fat, More FPS (v2.04) by halo112358
  • No Ring Gate Mod 1.2 by cattafett
  • No Fog by min 480km by Projekt2501 and Marodeur
  • X3-Unleashed by Jaga_Telesin
  • No add signs by Killjaeden
  • No floating icons by Grax

If you play major mods such as XRM, SRM, or Xtra, then vkerinav's Jobs for XRM/SRM and Xtra is an alternative to Unleashed.

If you play XRM, then check out XRM Performance Tips (Bullwinkle)
Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Fri, 14. Feb 14, 07:35, edited 2 times in total.

psyclon

Post by psyclon » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 14:43

Excellent! Thank you, kind sir! :)
"Cobras are overpowered" - said no Cobra owner ever

modisch

Post by modisch » Wed, 3. Apr 13, 23:30

DrBullwinkle wrote:You used the Plugin Manager to install both?
Yup.
You closed the PM and waited a few seconds before starting the game?
Indeed.
You do not have EMP installed? (Important: don't!)
Nope. I did try EMP out of desperation but that failed so I uninstalled it, reverting back to my original EMP-free state.
If you continue to have trouble then I can probably make ware-free versions of both. That would settle the issue for sure. (But the custom wares are fun if you can get them to work.)
I'd definitely like to retain the transporter. I haven't used it yet, but I'd like to try it out. Would it be possible to add the transporter as a separate script entirely? And what are the benefit, specifically, of using your version over the original (considering the original works and has the transporter, so I'd have to choose between your improvements or the transporter)?

What language are you playing in?
Arrr, I be sailing with a pirate crew, matey!

Actually, English, but the option to have pirate for talk like a pirate day would be a neat bonus.

Also, if I install the original script and then yours over it, the transporter is available. I'm wondering if this 'hack' is an okay idea and if it would allow your improvements to trump the original files but still allow me access to the transporter.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

-m

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 02:39

modisch wrote:if I install the original script and then yours over it, the transporter is available.
Now *that* is strange! Which (hacked) version are you using? There was one version that had a bug (no language file) that would behave the way that you describe. The current version should work -- and I have no explanation for why installing two versions of Improved Boarding would make a difference.

However, if that works for you, then it is all good. You should now have the hacked version correctly installed.

I like the pirate language idea. What calling code do pirates use? (That is how the language ID's are chosen -- by two-digit telephone country calling codes.)

When I suggested a ware-free version, I meant that it would use a vanilla ware instead of the custom ware, so the feature would still work. It is more fun with the custom ware, now that you have that working.

In the future, I will try to make my hacks work with either the custom ware or a vanilla ware. That way people with chronic ware issues can still use the script (I'm looking at you, XTC players. ;) )

modisch

Post by modisch » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 04:13

I'm using 1.23.04 from page 10 of this thread (direct link to post). If there's a different version I should be using, I'll happily try that out (sans Cycrow's script) and see how it goes.

I'm mystified. But ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to do and die. Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori.

Cheers,
-m

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 04:21

modisch wrote:Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori
Sounds like an ancient Split proverb, "It is sweet and right to die for your country." ;)

All that is required for evil to flourish is for good men to stand idly by.

Unless other people report trouble, I am going to shrug my shoulders and be happy that it is working for you now, modisch. :)

I am working on a new version, which uses a different EMP ware. I will also allow the possibility to use a vanilla ware, in case people have trouble with the custom ware.

modisch

Post by modisch » Thu, 4. Apr 13, 04:45

Change in clan for country and it'd be ready to include as canon.

I'm content, for sure. It seems like I have the intended effects, even if I had to do it a little more circuitously. And I'll be keeping an eye out for the next version.

I should also add that I'm a big fan of your work. You and Cycrow have contributed the lion share of scripts to my game. And it's a thriving mod community that makes games like X3 ultimately appealing to me. Another great time sink for me is the Silent Hunter series (WWII submarine simulators), which also comes alive through the contributions of the community.

So, thank you. Count me amongst the many that appreciate your work.

Cheers,

-m

Raaaak
x3tc

Post by Raaaak » Sun, 14. Apr 13, 20:13

It seems I also have trouble getting the upgrade kits to work in X3:TC.

The upgrade kit forge in Getsu Fune exists, but the product list is empty. Not zero, null, the line does not exist.

I tried reinstalling the script via the mod manager, following the instructions to wait before launching the game, just in case I did something wrong on first install. It didn't work.

Is there any file I can manually check to verify installation of the EMP wares?

Or failing that, do you have any plans to release a EMP-less version in the near future?

And thanks for your scripting work, just the list of useful scripts is worth its weight in gold to a newcomer like me!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 15. Apr 13, 05:36

Try this, Raaaak, and let me know if it helps:

Update

Upgrade Kits for TC/AP, with Equipment Packs
Upgrade Kits version 1.7
[ external image ]

• Carry spare jump drives (and other equipment) with you.
  • LV's classic Jump Drive kits; extended into Upgrade Kits, ported to AP, and with Equipment Packs added.
  • This is a good way to field-equip your fleet when you have dozens of ships.
  • Upgrade Kits are also a terrific way to repair equipment damage from combat.
  • The Jump Drive kit is ideal for "Return Ship" missions. And by "ideal" I mean "cheat". :)
  • If you want to change the included Equipment Packs, you can edit the lists in plugin.deliver.jd.getlists.

(Thanks to LV for the original version)

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
History
--------
v1.7 (2013-04-14)
- IMPORTANT: If you changed .getlists, then you will need to apply your changes to the new .getlists.
- IMPORTANT: Stop the Artificial Life Plugin (ALP), wait for message that it is OK to uninstall, then re-start the ALP.
- New ware costs more ($118k)
- Uses Jumpdrive Components if the custom ware fails to install (change in setup.plugin.deliver.jd must match page 8822 id 301).
- Bug fix: Do not overtune vanilla ships (Nicoman)
- Bug fix: Do not clobber overtuned ships
- Bug fix: Fixed ware in .jumpdrive.fabs
- Added global deliver.jd.jdk to .deliver.jumpdrive.gonship, .monitor, .gwlogic. (Makes maintenance easier)
- Removed Fight Command Software 1 & 2 from Trader and Mk3 packs.
- Removed Upgrade Kits from "Full" pack.
- Reduced numbers of drones and satellites.
- Added Docking Computer to all Jump Drive kits.
- Improved handling of added wares.
- Set Jump Drive defaults in plugin.deliver.jd.fillup
- Set turret defaults in .fillup (if Fight Command Software 1 or 2 is installed).
- Added lib.lv.gz.find.voice.ID

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Mon, 15. Apr 13, 06:02

Thanks DrBullwinkle.

Does this change consume the Upgrade kit or actually require multiple kits as described in the upgrade menu?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 15. Apr 13, 06:16

All versions consume the Upgrade Kits. Some of the Equipment Packs include Upgrade Kits. I removed some, but there might still be a few left.

As I recall, only one Upgrade Kit is required for each pack because I could not see any purpose in requiring more than one kit.

You can change the equipment packs by editing plugin.deliver.jd.getlists.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Mon, 15. Apr 13, 06:38

DrBullwinkle wrote:All versions consume the Upgrade Kits. Some of the Equipment Packs include Upgrade Kits. I removed some, but there might still be a few left.

As I recall, only one Upgrade Kit is required for each pack because I could not see any purpose in requiring more than one kit.

You can change the equipment packs by editing plugin.deliver.jd.getlists.
Ok thanks. That makes sense actually.

Raaaak
x3tc

Post by Raaaak » Mon, 15. Apr 13, 13:09

Thank you, it seems to be working now. Though upgrading gives me more Jump drive components than I started with, is that intended?

Now I just need to adjust the kits to my liking.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 15. Apr 13, 14:00

Raaaak wrote:Thank you, it seems to be working now. Though upgrading gives me more Jump drive components than I started with, is that intended?
Excellent! Thanks for the report, Raaaak.

Some of the Equipment Packs include additional Upgrade Kits (or Jump Drive Components, if the ware does not install properly). You can remove them in plugin.deliver.jd.getlists; they will look like "$jdk" in the Script Editor.

ACID SCOUT

Post by ACID SCOUT » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 15:42

Since I am desperate to find jump beacons I thought I'll try Long Range Scanner script.

Couple of qustions regarding modding the game.

1. How do I run this particular script.
2. Will it give me a modified tag and how to avoid it, would replacing the save files work as a way to do so.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 20:52

The easy way to install most scripts and mods is to use the Plugin Manager, which will automatically put things in the correct folders for your game. To install an archive (.rar or .zip) use the "Install Archive" button.

Using the Plugin Manager is fairly obvious, with one important note:
  • Set up your game folder. Note that adding a folder for AP actually adds both TC and AP; be sure to select "AP" from the pulldown list.
  • Set the Mode to Modified (Settings menu).
  • Use "Install Archive" to install an archive; "Install Package" for .spk's.
  • Important: Close the PM and wait a couple of seconds before starting the game (or, maybe, use the Run button, but people have reported trouble with that). (When you close the PM, it may create files in your types folder which are vital to some scripts and mods.)

New Video Guide
I have not watched this guide, but it might be helpful: [Video Tutorial] Comprehensive Mod Instillation Guide - Ships, Mod List Manager More

LV's Guide (with pics)
For other scripts, if you look at the "Tutorials" sticky at the top of the forum, the second link is to LV's Tutorial - Installing mods and scripts to your game which has nice pictures that may help you. Note that the instructions have not been updated for AP, which adds an "addon" folder under the main game folder. So AP scripts, t, types, and director folders should be: addon\scripts, addon\t, addon\types, addon\director, etc.

Fake Patches
FAQ: Fake Patches

Language Files
Language Files: How to modify for your language

Artificial Life Plugins
AL Plugins (ALP's) have their own menu to control them. While undocked, press the escape key (Esc), select "Gameplay", then "Artificial Life Settings". Most AL Plugins simple toggle On and Off, although some have multiple choices or a menu.

Important: Activating the Script Editor in-game
The first time that you install a script, you may have to Activate the in-game script editor.

Steam
The default location of your game in a Steam installation is:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\x3 terran conflict

Hotkeys
Hotkeys are set on the Controls Menu: Press Esc until you see a popup menu in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. Choose Controls.

Hotkeys for add-on scripts are always on the Interface tab, near the bottom (in the section marked "Extensions").

* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Frequently Asked Questions
SomeNewPlayer wrote:Will it give me a modified tag?

All scripts, and almost all mods, will mark your saved game as "modified". That is what the tag means. The few mods that do not tag your saved game are clearly marked.

Which script(s) or mod(s) should I install?

My advice: Play the vanilla game for a hundred hours or so before looking into scripts and mods. When you understand the game well, you will also understand its limitations. Scripts and mods can change or remove those limitations. After a certain point, the vanilla game is more challenging to your patience than to your gaming ability. For example, combat in the vanilla game is boring to tears. If you want a real challenge, then check out the Combat Tricks Guide. You will quickly find that having a vanilla game has little or no value compared to having a better game. YMMV, of course. :)

Last edited by DrBullwinkle on Sat, 10. Jan 15, 21:17, edited 8 times in total.

ACID SCOUT

Post by ACID SCOUT » Tue, 23. Apr 13, 22:07

Well I played over 1500 hours TC and AP combined and I prefer to stay vanilla. I made an exceptions with abandoned ship/pandora crates locator long time ago when AP came out so I just forgot how it works.

Now as I strugle finding JBs and the lack of time to search them I ended up looking for a script once again.

Thanks for your concerns and explanations.

quantum36

Post by quantum36 » Mon, 29. Apr 13, 00:57

Okay I am trying to install the long range scanner for jump beacons and I have not the slightest clue on how to get this to work. I have been searching the forums but can find nothing that will help.

How do I enable this xml file

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”