[MOD] [TC/AP] Realspace Visual Enhancement of Skies, Nebulae and Planets - V1.01

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Realspace
x4

[MOD] [TC/AP] Realspace Visual Enhancement of Skies, Nebulae and Planets - V1.01

Post by Realspace » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 02:36

[ external image ]
X3 TC Visual Enhancement Mod
Graphic Modification of Skies, Nebulae and Planets
V1.01 (09/04/2013)

by Realspace

Download from xdownloads:
[ external image ]

(outdated mediafire.com link)
[ external image ]

------------
WHY THIS?
------------
Many of you probably remember this mod in Reunion and as modification of backgrounds included in several big mods for TC
I lost my Background Mod's files and stayed not playing this game for long, but I recently found the files in another mod of mine, Continuum, which I gave up but fortunally contained all the graphic modifications.

There is something that always disturbed me in the beautifull graphic of X3: skies and nebulae. Unfortunally still today I didn't find another mod to be used for that so took some time to re-edit my mod: I can't really play X3 with those "boxed texture" skies. So why not make also others enjoy it? Here it is.

-----------------
WHAT IT DOES
-----------------
This mod changes ALL the backgrounds of X3 (stars and nabulae).
It also contains modifications to the terran planets (Moon, Earth, Mars) and common planets, that have been graphically enhanced.
With time many other planets will be enhanced.
IN SOME OF THE NEW PLANETS YOU CAN EVEN SEE RIVERS, FIELDS, CITIES...JUST LOOK AT THROUGH THE CLOUDS! :roll:

----------------------
RECOMMENDATIONS
---------------------
I'm playing X3 with Rebalance Mod (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=304158) that I strongly suggest and support! This is the most similar mod to my now gone Continuum Mod. RVE is perfect for improving the graphics of this mod. I'll add some modifications on top of it, based on the idea of having even faster ships and larger sectors. They are not included in this release.

FOR THE BEST VISUAL EXPERIENCE IT IS BETTER TO USE THE FOV AT 75-80% AND TO REDUCE THE GAMMA TO 100-105

-----------------
INSTALLATION
-----------------
Simply decompress the folder into "..EGOSOFT/X3 Terran Conflict/mods" directory. Activate it in the start menu. That's all!

------------------
COMPATIBILITY
------------------
The mod should be compatible with all other mods that do not alter/add the backgrounds (skies and nebulae) or the planets. The only issue in this case would be one or the other not showing in the game (depending on wihich one is installed on top), so no problem at all.

The mod should also be 100% compatible with X3 Albion Prelude but I did not test it, so try it at your risk.

---------
ISSUES
---------
This mod is only a graphic overhaul so do not consider it for any issue related to game's malfunctioning.

Some textures are very big so very old GPU could experience some lag on loading a new sector when you enter it. I tested it on an ATI 4850 and it works smoothly so just very old cards can give issues.

--------------
CHANGELOG
--------------
V.1.01
* Added compatibility with X3 AP
* Solved issue with white fog in Uranus

V.1 is an update from the X3 Reunion relase V.2, it now includes:
*Compatibility issue with PSCO Cockpit Mod is solved, the two mods are 100% compatible
*Flickering of stars reduced.
*Added new textures for Earth, Mars, The Moon
*Modification of vanilla Close and Orbital Planets
*Original nabulae put back and integrated into the new skies, even if they still overlap to planets :sceptic:

IT IS BETTER TO USE THE FOV AT 75-80% AND TO REDUCE THE GAMMA TO 100-105

--------------------
USE OF THIS MOD
--------------------
This mod can be freely used to be included in other mods but "AS IT IS" (IF YOU WISH TO CHANGE IT PLEASE PM ME FIRST) AND WITH CREDITS TO ME.

Enjoy the new skies of X3!! :D
Rs

------------------------------------------------------------
SCREENS (suns from XRM)
------------------------------------------------------------

[ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ] [ external image ]
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 11. Aug 15, 21:11, edited 26 times in total.

Koritnaciino
x4

Post by Koritnaciino » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 02:46

GJ just keep forward :)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 02:58

Download available, enjoy and feedback!! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnfs9lsi4x938bc
V.1 (08/04/2013)

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 03:34

This is great news Realspace! I loved this in Reunion!

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 04:37

Welcome back Realspace. Been a while. :)

Looks great!

Have you tried playing around with the opacity of the planet hazes in order to obscure the end of the mesh a bit more? That's something I've worked with but it's freaking hard to get right ^^

PDouma39
xr

Post by PDouma39 » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 09:19

I tried out your mod in AP(though I used this mod as a fake-patch) and as far as I can see things look great, thank you for this mod.
Awareness in life is rewarded by many

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:33

enenra wrote:Welcome back Realspace. Been a while. :)

Looks great!

Have you tried playing around with the opacity of the planet hazes in order to obscure the end of the mesh a bit more? That's something I've worked with but it's freaking hard to get right ^^
Didn't becouse I try not to mess with the bod anymore (I prefer to live happy :lol: ) except changing the reference to textures. Can you please write the exact string that changes the opacity of haze? I did change the haze textures to a darker one but still you see stars in the haze (weird!!)

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 12:39

Have you created new backgrounds for all XRM-added sectors as well ?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 13:25

Sorkvild wrote:Have you created new backgrounds for all XRM-added sectors as well ?
they don't have new backgrounds, so yes they are automatically changed. Of course you have to use my mod instead of the Backgrounds addition in XRM.

As you start using this mod please share some images, I'm sure you'll appreciate the big differences when now you enter some sectors having the new planets and of course the background is changed in ALL sectors, terran included.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 14:23

What's the cat dat installation order with XRM? afaik this stuff matters otherwise bugs like 'sqare fried egg' can be seen.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 14:44

Sorkvild wrote:What's the cat dat installation order with XRM? afaik this stuff matters otherwise bugs like 'sqare fried egg' can be seen.
as in instructions, install this in the /mods directory, assuming you previously installed XRM as fake patch. Don't install XRM's Background Mod but even if you do it, this one will replace it if put in /mods or as highest number (but not the setting of fogs and visibility)

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 16:00

Realspace wrote:

Looks great!

Didn't becouse I try not to mess with the bod anymore (I prefer to live happy :lol: ) except changing the reference to textures. Can you please write the exact string that changes the opacity of haze? I did change the haze textures to a darker one but still you see stars in the haze (weird!!)
What I meant was to play with the haze texture in photoshop / gimp itself. As in adjusting its opacity / alpha map there. :)
Problem is that with higher opacity haze textures, it soon becomes apparent that the ways they're placed in the bod isn't exactly optimal. ^^

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 16:07

Welcome back, Realspace.

Trickmov
x3tc

Post by Trickmov » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 21:18

Looks great :)

I've installed it as fake-patch in AP... I think I found an issue in Uranus, no idea, what's wrong there:

http://www.thexuniverse.us/downloads/tr ... uranus.jpg

perhaps some sort of nebula!?

The other systems I've seen so far seem to be ok ;)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 8. Apr 13, 23:56

Trickmov wrote:Looks great :)

I've installed it as fake-patch in AP... I think I found an issue in Uranus, no idea, what's wrong there:

http://www.thexuniverse.us/downloads/tr ... uranus.jpg

perhaps some sort of nebula!?

The other systems I've seen so far seem to be ok ;)
oh yeah thanks for the info, I know what it is, it's the fog layers used there that are not fit becouse the original TBackgrounds uses fog in Uranus :!: so if you don't start a new game it can happen.
I'll change it soon, in the meantime if you know how to do it you can delete the following files inside the DAT and the
the folder object/environments/nebulae/uranus:
nebula_uranus_dust_part01.bod up to part06.bod. Don't touch the other. If you are unsure, delete all the uranus folder, you'll have the old backgrounds back but only there.
Litcube wrote:Welcome back, Realspace.
Thanks!!
:x3:
enenra wrote:
Realspace wrote:

Looks great!

What I meant was to play with the haze texture in photoshop / gimp itself. As in adjusting its opacity / alpha map there. :)
Problem is that with higher opacity haze textures, it soon becomes apparent that the ways they're placed in the bod isn't exactly optimal. ^^
I wouldn't mess too much with the textures when it has to do with opacity and luminosity, but of course there's no oteher way since editing the bod doesn't affect the thing as it should. The blue haze of the planets is made by a new texture indeed, it has some issue if you go very very close to the planets (what is not happening in real game) but is much better than vanilla for normal view :wink:

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Tue, 9. Apr 13, 03:42

There is no addon/type/TBackgrounds. With out that its going to have issues with X3AP.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 9. Apr 13, 04:23

RoverTX wrote:There is no addon/type/TBackgrounds. With out that its going to have issues with X3AP.
I dont have AP so don't know the folder structure, now that you point to it I suppose the addon/ folder (only AP) is for...addons :P an alternative to the higher number of cat? so what should be put there, all files (also dds and object) or just /type?

My backgrounds dont need the TBackgrounds to work exept for reducing fog and increasing visibility, what if a remove it at all for AP??

Trickmov
x3tc

Post by Trickmov » Tue, 9. Apr 13, 09:36

Realspace wrote:
oh yeah thanks for the info, I know what it is, it's the fog layers used there that are not fit becouse the original TBackgrounds uses fog in Uranus :!: so if you don't start a new game it can happen.
I'll change it soon, in the meantime if you know how to do it you can delete the following files inside the DAT and the
the folder object/environments/nebulae/uranus:
nebula_uranus_dust_part01.bod up to part06.bod. Don't touch the other. If you are unsure, delete all the uranus folder, you'll have the old backgrounds back but only there.
Yeah, thanks, that works :=)

For the folder-structure:
AP has an addon-folder, where everything related to it is stored. There is also a TBackgounds in x3ap (in cat/dat01 to be exact). The cat/dats also have to have this structure, thus addon/types but as it seems not addon/objects, addon/dds, whatever (I am not deep enough into modding x3ap to know that exactly ;) )

However, the mistake I had made, was following: I installed it as fake-patch, but didn't check the folder-structure inside.
Thus finally I created inside the new cat/dat a folder addon/types with your new TBackgounds in it. Then also Uranus works well with the new backgound :)
Thus no necessity to delete the files in objects/environments/nebulae/uranus ;)

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 9. Apr 13, 16:15

I suppose with this /addon folder you can add things that work also in a savegame and not only new game? just guessing...my TBackgrounds eliminates the fog in Uranus so those white layers are not to be there, can be eliminated from folder anyway :roll:

P.s I jus found out 2 very nice mods for backgrounds that also work well with XRM, I mean "Immersive Backgrounds Mod", the original and the new mod, so since I'm not doing all this work for nothing else than having good graphics to better play the game, and to share it, thinking they lacked, there's no reason I continue to work on what has already been done.

I'm building my mod on top of these. They already addressed a lot of planets. I still think my stars and some new planets I made are better so they can work together, mine as addition or selfstanding.

Mean this one and the other from which it further developes:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 9. Apr 13, 16:37, edited 2 times in total.

Trickmov
x3tc

Post by Trickmov » Tue, 9. Apr 13, 16:24

I think for adding new things to the game in x3ap its the same like with the base game.
It's just that some things like addon/types or addon/director have to be placed in this new folder-structure, while others like dds/ or objects/ (probably others too) don't need this new structure (don't ask me why ;) ).

So, for your purpose it's just enough to create this new addon/types-folder inside the cat/dat and place an additional copy of TBackgrounds in it - and it's compatible to x3ap :)

At least I don't see any further problems with it, great work btw again :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”