[script] Karma r1

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

7ate9tin11s
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:18

[script] Karma r1

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 04:35

What is this?
Karma is a simple script I developed over time that makes life much more interesting. Nothing as grand as my old, well-cared for, Improved Races, but adds an appropriate amount of danger and very little overhead.

What it does
Basically, for each non-karma generated ship you destroy someone of the same race decides you need to pay. So if you kill a Boron M3, another is spawned at a random Boron shipyard with the need and drive to kill something of yours. Depending on the universe conditions they may make it to you, they may not. Depending on the difficulty level chosen they may be in the same kind of ship that was killed, they may be in the class of ship that killed them, and there may even be more than one of them!

You have this history with the Kha'ak...
Why yes, yes I do. The Kha'ak do not have a decent way to get to you or shipyards (usually), therefor they will just jump right on top of a Player asset. Their revenge is swift and really really annoying. :wink:

How do you cope with Karma
I have been using these scripts for my past three games and, as I have boosted the difficulty value, there are a few precautions I now take. First, I have found that if I want to keep a satellite, I need to have a lasertower for the annoying M5's that hate me around the universe. This extends into needing protection for any asset including stations, traders, and miners as I advance and kill more and more deadly opponents. I also find that I just run from Kha'ak sometimes, they are just not worth it to a developing economy.

Usage
Karma is a simple AL plugin, by attempting to turn it on or off the difficulty level will change (and you will eventually turn it off). Turning it off will prevent the spawn of new ships, but will not remove existing ones hunting you...you must always pay for your actions! :roll:

Removal
Change it to off to turn off the signals, save, exit, and then remove the installed scripts.

Download
Primary source: http://www.x1tp.com/root/index.php?opti ... 4&Itemid=6

Have fun!

-7ate9tin11s

Technical Details
  • To prevent reputational cascades, if a killed ship belongs to a friendly race (above 10k rep) the Karma spawn will belong to an enemy race (as longs as someone hates you!).
    Depending on difficulty a Karma ship is spawned every 20 to 60 seconds from the queue of dead ships.
    Depending on difficulty the killed ship may be upgraded to something a class stronger or use the killers ship type. More difficult has a higher chance of being the killers ship type and being a class stronger.
    Depending on difficulty, there is a chance that a Karma ship may not spawn at all. 50% at easiest to 20% at hardest.
    Depending on difficulty anywhere from 1 to 4 Karma ships may spawn for each kill
    If a shipyard (for the race) or pirate dock cannot be found, no non-Kha'ak ships will be spawned.
    The target of a Karma ship is randomly determined among all Player ships and stations, the selection is more weighted towards the player ship at lower difficulty levels
Last edited by 7ate9tin11s on Sat, 8. Dec 12, 06:00, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
DrBullwinkle
Posts: 5704
Joined: Sat, 17. Dec 11, 02:44

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 08:47

This is a great idea, 789, and it is good to see you around!

I was looking for better enemies for AP recently, and wound up following the history of Improved Kha'ak and Improved Xenon through to Improved Races r13/14. THAT looked perfect to me, but the download links are dead *sigh*.

Then I followed the history to r15 and 2.0 -- both of which seem to have gone in an entirely different direction. IR 2.0 does not even implement most of Improved Kha'ak and Improved Xenon, which is what I mostly wanted in the first place. :)

So where do I go to get some of your classic enemy magic?

-- Signed,
A wannabe Fan


EDIT: I cannot download your file from filetea.me. I just get a blank page. And 4Shared is some sort of spam-magnet site that requires a login. Better hosting sites are:

x1tp.com -- Free hosting site for the X community by SSwamp_Trooper.

LV's Public Google Code Site

7ate9tin11s
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:18

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 18:18

Thanks, updated the links. As for creating an improved Kha'ak light...perhaps. I have greatly improved in my coding so I could probably even minimize the footprint.

What would you be looking for in an improved Kha'ak? My current thoughts I have been kicking around are:
1. Hive mind, of course. I am thinking locust instead of ants this time though.
2. Missiles slow things down on computers too much so I do not want to overuse them this time, perhaps they will drop mines/eggs...ignore them too long and you get fresh Kha'ak hatching, run into them and they go all boomy on you :twisted: . Of course bigger ships make bigger eggs (guardians)...
3. Swarm limit, you would be able to choose how many swarms will be in the universe. This will greatly help speed.
4. No takeover, instead of taking over sectors the swarm will be more like locust....just leaving the bare husk of a sector to be slowly repopulated.
5. Whatever not any any way evil or devious other ideas that come up :roll:

Still just kicking it around and since the core races are well in hand, I do not want to step on their toes, just push boundaries they have not :)

Oh, and as always, anyone is free to use this script in any mods or whatnot, please just leave attribution.

-7ate9tin11s

User avatar
DrBullwinkle
Posts: 5704
Joined: Sat, 17. Dec 11, 02:44

Post by DrBullwinkle » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 18:26

Awesome ideas, 789!

Personally, I do not need sector takeovers at all. R15/2.0 do that. I want the stronger/smarter enemy races.

I would settle for a current link for r14/13. Any chance you could update the links on your thread? Oh, wait, it's locked... unless you get it unlocked.

If you would please post r14/13 at x1tp or Google Code then we can find it, at least!

7ate9tin11s
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:18

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 18:35

Well, besides their legendary glitchyness, I lost the source code through my travels. They needed a full rewrite anyways as IR 2.0 found out ;)

Let me tinker over the weekend and I should have a basic framework. For now, I am off to work 8)

/Why yes, I like being a pen tester
//Except when it lets me catch bugs in games
///Which I have to mod in a fix for...

Jumee
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sat, 29. Oct 11, 20:19

Post by Jumee » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 18:36

7ate9tin11s wrote:khaak ideas
it all sounds awesome, glad to have you back! I remember the first time I installed IR and saw the khaak army with all the point-jumping -> probably the best moment in my X history* :) :thumb_up:

*though my poor old laptop almost had a heart attack at one of the invasions :)
"If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them"

lets pretend november 15 never happened

User avatar
EmperorJon
Posts: 7178
Joined: Mon, 29. Dec 08, 21:58

Post by EmperorJon » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 18:48

7ate9tin11s returns! :D
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

SirDeathwalker
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri, 6. Aug 10, 03:15

Post by SirDeathwalker » Fri, 7. Dec 12, 20:47

Welcome Back (though you don't know me, I love some of your scripts)

I have been looking for a way to kick up the Khaak response...

There is a beautifully rendered B5 Shadow Vessel (M2) in the list of XSP ships that does render well in AP (and is potentially very nasty, but not invincible)... How about if the Khaak found something nastier (or something nastier found them) and they have been goading the Khaak into aggression towards the commonwealth? Maybe they have decided to take a more direct hand and attacking directly? Maybe they "ally themselves" to some race after it suffers several losses, attacking on their behalf. (possibly similar to the Terran/ATF type relationship). Possibly with an escalating response level.

Though a Mod that adds a string of sectors that leads to the Shadow homeworld and possibly triggering a "Major Aggressive Retaliatory Response" when entered.... and possibly a plot as well... but that is whole other ball of wax...

User avatar
jack775544
Posts: 1117
Joined: Tue, 13. Dec 11, 09:27

Post by jack775544 » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 00:28

EmperorJon wrote:7ate9tin11s returns! :D
Bringing another masterpiece
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

7ate9tin11s
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:18

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 03:54

SirDeathwalker wrote: There is a beautifully rendered B5 Shadow Vessel (M2) in the list of XSP ships that does render well in AP (and is potentially very nasty, but not invincible)... How about if the Khaak found something nastier (or something nastier found them) and they have been goading the Khaak into aggression towards the commonwealth? Maybe they have decided to take a more direct hand and attacking directly? Maybe they "ally themselves" to some race after it suffers several losses, attacking on their behalf. (possibly similar to the Terran/ATF type relationship). Possibly with an escalating response level.

Though a Mod that adds a string of sectors that leads to the Shadow homeworld and possibly triggering a "Major Aggressive Retaliatory Response" when entered.... and possibly a plot as well... but that is whole other ball of wax...
Well, if you want a kick, install Karma and set it to the hardest level...that will make you rethink killing a Kha'ak swarm :twisted:

Hmmm...simply put, I dislike forcing mods on people so any custom ships will not be a part of a script I build. However, I do like the ideas you presented and allowing complete customization of what ships are considered to be Kha'ak is a very nice idea (Then you can add that ship if you want once it is installed!).

I also already had plans for an optional 'hatchery' sector of sorts that can be assaulted by the brave...or foolish.

I will start laying out script components and see what develops. For now I want to get the basic engine working before I put in too many flourishes ;)

7ate9tin11s
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:18

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 06:00

Zip file now with 100% more t files for readability -_-;;;

User avatar
Jack08
Posts: 2971
Joined: Sun, 25. Dec 05, 11:42

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 07:04

7ate9tin11s wrote:Well, besides their legendary glitchyness, I lost the source code through my travels. They needed a full rewrite anyways as IR 2.0 found out ;)

Let me tinker over the weekend and I should have a basic framework. For now, I am off to work 8)

/Why yes, I like being a pen tester
//Except when it lets me catch bugs in games
///Which I have to mod in a fix for...
Welcome back 7ate; If you need a copy of the legacy code, PM djrygar - i believe he still has a copy of it.

I would have just sent it to you right now but i cant find it, i think its on my failed hard-drive :(


as for IR2.0 and Kha'ak & Xenon - The only reason they have been left out so far is because i dont have enough time in my hands to work on them :D When i do im going to rewrite the entire AI core for the plugin... again, i made a few mistakes that need fixing.
Image
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

SirDeathwalker
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri, 6. Aug 10, 03:15

Post by SirDeathwalker » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 07:53

7ate9tin11s wrote: Hmmm...simply put, I dislike forcing mods on people so any custom ships will not be a part of a script I build. However, I do like the ideas you presented and allowing complete customization of what ships are considered to be Kha'ak is a very nice idea (Then you can add that ship if you want once it is installed!).

I also already had plans for an optional 'hatchery' sector of sorts that can be assaulted by the brave...or foolish.

I will start laying out script components and see what develops. For now I want to get the basic engine working before I put in too many flourishes ;)
The shadow ships already add as Khaak, I just liked it as an example of something powerful and creepy looking for this other race, and the shadow story line from Babylon 5 has potential... (and they make a really good galactic boogyman to boot).

I would like to see the jump flash be eliminated for the shadow ships and they just shimmer into existence after the jump. ( and with the beacon jump, they never have to go near a gate) Also, the "engine effect" that you can get for the big ships, if we could get some sort of sound file that sounds like mental screaming...... that would make them really freaky when they appear.

I was looking for something to increase the aggression factor and effectiveness of the Khaak, but not necessarily towards ME! :P was looking for something less "retaliatory" and more just plain more general aggression. (now if karma worked on all factions, where someone is always out to kill someone else, actively out to kill specific targets... My handle is not Flash Gordon, and I don't want to save every one of us...)

7ate9tin11s
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:18

Post by 7ate9tin11s » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 08:46

SirDeathwalker wrote: I was looking for something to increase the aggression factor and effectiveness of the Khaak, but not necessarily towards ME! :P was looking for something less "retaliatory" and more just plain more general aggression. (now if karma worked on all factions, where someone is always out to kill someone else, actively out to kill specific targets... My handle is not Flash Gordon, and I don't want to save every one of us...)
Lets say that universal Karma sounded like a good idea at one time...but you though IR slowed computers down :shock:

Pretty much the chain reaction just killed the universe since it potentially doubles the number of ships around. It could have just been bugs back in the first alpha though. Perhaps I will throw it back together from the current stable revision. :wink:

/Why is it that the boring old menus take the most time
//7ate wants to destroy universe!
///Kha'ak SMASH! :evil:

:P

SirDeathwalker
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri, 6. Aug 10, 03:15

Post by SirDeathwalker » Sat, 8. Dec 12, 09:10

7ate9tin11s wrote:
Lets say that universal Karma sounded like a good idea at one time...but you though IR slowed computers down :shock:

Pretty much the chain reaction just killed the universe since it potentially doubles the number of ships around. It could have just been bugs back in the first alpha though. Perhaps I will throw it back together from the current stable revision. :wink:

/Why is it that the boring old menus take the most time
//7ate wants to destroy universe!
///Kha'ak SMASH! :evil:

:P
I Can certainly see that as the logical outcome of universal Karma..... I suppose you could tone down the percentages, but I suppose all you would get is it takes a little longer to overload the Universe.
-possible "exception" to the possibility of retaliation happening by having the appropriate police license for the sector the offense occurs in or for the race it occurs against. (meaning possible protection from all but Xenon, Kha'ak, Yaki, and ATF (if you also use the Terran Police license, protects against the Terrans, but not the ATF) and the Paranid one bought at Duke's give protection as a kind of "pirate" police license effective in pirate sectors). As a possible limiter on the script, but it is nearly impossible to maintain ALL the licenses... and they are easy to lose without noticing.... Too bad my programming days are long past me...

another possible limiter is a hard limit on the number of active "kill missions" possible at one time, if the queue is full, no new mission, maybe next time...
Last edited by SirDeathwalker on Sat, 8. Dec 12, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”