[MOD UI] Immersive GUI&HUD [TC/AP] V1.3 (18.09.2012)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

juju1111

[MOD UI] Immersive GUI&HUD [TC/AP] V1.3 (18.09.2012)

Post by juju1111 » Tue, 31. Jul 12, 13:50

Presentation

This HUD-GUI mod is an attempt at a more neutral interface that would fit with the hue of the sector, by using black, white, and transparency.

It is based on two other gui/hud mods

GUI Remake by Enenra

Pure X HUD by Familiar

These are two mods I've been using in tandem for a long time, GUI Remake for the GUI and Pure X for it's awesome HUD.
Enenra and Familiar, thank you for these awesome mods and thank you for allowing me to use your work.

Before/After
[ external image ][ external image ]

More Screenshots

Youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIInQvNkwD8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aBMpy4fQUA

Courtesy of silentdeth1

Installation/Uninstall

3 methods:
1. FAKE PATCH - Immersive GUI&HUD 1.3 - mirror - extract the files in the \X3 Terran Conflict folder (X3TC\addon for AP)

Rename the ImmersiveGUI&HUD files to a bigger number than the last ones, i.e. if the last ones are 14.dat and 14.cat rename my files to 15.dat and 15.cat. You can have up to 99 different cat/dat files, so you can use a very high number of mods this way.

To uninstall just delete the 2 renamed Immersive GUI&HUD files.

2. DDS - Immersive GUI&HUD 1.3 - extract the archive in the X3 Terran Conflict folder. It will create the following files:
\X3 Terran Conflict\dds\gui_master.dds (HUD)
\X3 Terran Conflict\dds\interface_framework_XT_diff.dds (HUD/Gravidar)
\X3 Terran Conflict\dds\interface_template_blackpearl_diff.dds (GUI)

files in the dds folder will have priority over mod and patches, so you can mix the elements you like with other mods.

To uninstall just delete the 3 files listed above.

3. MOD - Immersive GUI&HUD 1.3 - mirror - extract the files in the X3 Terran Conflict/mods folder (X3TC\addon\mods for AP)-> activate the mod in the X3 launcher.

Note that only one mod can be activated at a time through the manager so if you already use a mod this way, use the fake patch or dss method.

To uninstall just delete the 2 Immersive GUI&HUD files.

Notes

- If you use the mod or fake patch method and don't see any changes, chances are it is overwritten by another fake patch. Use the dds version instead.

- Once in game I suggest you check the gamma settings, anything between 110 and 120 works best.

- Sadly no way to get rid of those fancy flashy colors used for mouseover backgrounds and fonts, it's hardcoded in a compiled file.

- Have fun ;)

juju1111

Edit [1st December 2015]: replaced outdated x1tp with working xdownloads links. X2-Illuminatus
Last edited by juju1111 on Sat, 1. Dec 12, 19:10, edited 20 times in total.

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Fri, 3. Aug 12, 14:15

v1.3 (based on user feedback, special thanks to morbideth and Azerin) 18/09/2012
+ Improved non-hovered scrollbar visibility
+ Combat related mouse cursors are now in orange for increased visibility during combats
+ Fixed a glitch where the sector camera wasn't visible in sector map

updated to version 1.2 (based on user feedback, special thanks to spur390)
+ active menu item icon is highlighted for easier navigation
+ TS and TM icons are now easier to differenciate

updated to version 1.1 with the following changes :
+ improved main cursor visibility
+ improved scrollbar hover visibility
+ main menu hue modified to cold gray
+ darker menu hover background
Last edited by juju1111 on Tue, 18. Sep 12, 05:24, edited 3 times in total.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Fri, 3. Aug 12, 14:54

Looks fine, I'm always looking forward to trying out new huds.
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Sat, 4. Aug 12, 16:32

Sorkvild wrote:Looks fine, I'm always looking forward to trying out new huds.
Thanks for the comment :)

I welcome any critics, there's definitely room for improvement.

spur390

Post by spur390 » Tue, 7. Aug 12, 19:12

I just installed the mod and my first impression is that the black menu color is far better than the original. It makes the white text pop out and easier to read. I'm liking your mod.

I do think the highlight color of the selected item in a menu that appears when clicking on a ship should be a lighter color for more contrast.

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Tue, 7. Aug 12, 20:30

i like the screenshots.

will try, i wonder how it looks on a highres screen.

EDIT: tried it... looks amazing! the transparency is just right
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Wed, 8. Aug 12, 08:57

Thanks for the inputs guys.

@Spur390 That's a good thing you point this out caus I've been wondering the same thing. I'm playing with 113 gamma setting and my screen sucks at deep blacks, so it is a lot less contrasted than the screenshots.

One problem tho is as soon as an element gets too bright I'm forced to give it a hue, and it is even more annoying for the menu since it has to have high opacity to prevent text overlaping with other things.

So for a first try I think I may have found a good compromise by giving the active menu icon a brighter glow. It's feint but the brain computes it.

If you don't mind I'd like to know your opinion, if it's enough or not.

Uploaded a file on gamefront. Extract the file in your \X3 Terran Conflict\dds folder and the change will take effect.

EDIT : sorry just realised I uploaded the wrong file, here is the correct one

spur390

Post by spur390 » Thu, 9. Aug 12, 09:16

I tried your newer file out and I do notice a slight improvement. The currently selected menu option is a darker black than the unselected ones. I hope you aren't like a drug company and slipping me a placebo. That would be embarrassing.

Come to think of it, my monitor isn't very good either Its a large LG TN panel. I get changes in picture from slightly tilting the monitor up and down. Perhaps my monitor is the problem.

Also, my criticism is quite insignificant. too dark menu selection only very slightly matters when using the keyboard to run thru menus and we all know you start at the top of the menu when opening a new menu, so mistakenly choosing the wrong entry due to not knowing which one you selected does not happen often even when using the keyboard.

I do have one more small suggestion. Is there some way you can make the TM symbol more different from the TS symbol? The TM has two small dots on the side, which is kind of washed out by the glow.

This isn't a big deal at all though. Just a small thing.

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Thu, 9. Aug 12, 09:42

Thanks for your time spur.

Lol actually I didn't send you a placebo but uploaded the wrong file (which had no changes), and looks like my edit came too late.

For the screen angle you are right, I'm on a laptop and if I look it at the perfect angle it appears more contrasted. the tweak was more to help follow the mouse cursor, guess that's still a good addition anyway.

For the icon I'll see what I can do, I don't really have issues to distinguish since I play in 760p and everything is huge, but the pixels in the sides for the TM were grey, so I'll change them to white and hopefully it will be better :)

Thanks again for your help.

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 17:52

updated to v1.2 (based on user feedback, special thanks to spur390)

+ active menu item icon is highlighted for easier navigation
+ TS and TM icons are now easier to differenciate

I got issues getting on gamefront for now so will upload the DDS version later.

Panbot 3000
x3tc

Post by Panbot 3000 » Sat, 18. Aug 12, 18:09

Love it. Definitely helps with immersion and looks far more modern than vanilla. Thanks :)

Daisai
x4

Post by Daisai » Sun, 19. Aug 12, 20:20

Which cockpit mod do you use in those screenshots?

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Mon, 20. Aug 12, 05:38

Panbot 3000 wrote:Love it. Definitely helps with immersion and looks far more modern than vanilla. Thanks :)
Daisai wrote:Which cockpit mod do you use in those screenshots?
I'm using Shawn's cockpit 1.4, slightly modified (no screen animation and different color)

fisher 2000
x3ap

Post by fisher 2000 » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 21:10

I'm guessing this works with AP ?

morbideth
x3tc

Post by morbideth » Sat, 15. Sep 12, 22:36

Is there any way to make the mouse cursor more prominent? I keep loosing it in combat. Probably because it is the same color as the rest of the HUD. Also, scroll bars a really hard to see.

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sun, 16. Sep 12, 01:02

-pault193- wrote:I'm guessing this works with AP ?
Maybe you could volunteer :). History favors the bold.
Theoretically it would work in AP but when installing, if using the 1st or 3rd methods that were listed in the OP it will have to go in X3TC\addon for the 1st method or X3TC\addon\mods for the 3rd. If using the second method then put the files into X3TC\dds (it it won't work in the addon directory)
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Azerin

Post by Azerin » Sun, 16. Sep 12, 01:06

morbideth wrote:Is there any way to make the mouse cursor more prominent? I keep loosing it in combat. Probably because it is the same color as the rest of the HUD. Also, scroll bars a really hard to see.
That's kind of funny because I often lose the vanilla cursor while fighting. Too many hard to see blue/red squares hiding the hard to see blue/red cursor so I lose it the moment I stop focusing on it.
I'm definitely going to give this a try.

EDIT: I'm absolutely loving it so far. It'll take a bit to get used to the dark menu's but everything is really easy to read and see. I'm able to quickly spot things that I'd of struggled to see before.
I did notice one problem. On the sector map you can't see the button for Enable/Disable Sector Camera even though you can still click it.

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Sun, 16. Sep 12, 03:16

-pault193- wrote:I'm guessing this works with AP ?
Yes it works with AP.
morbideth wrote:Is there any way to make the mouse cursor more prominent? I keep loosing it in combat. Probably because it is the same color as the rest of the HUD. Also, scroll bars a really hard to see.
Sure I'll improve those two things, thanks for the feedback.
Azerin wrote:
That's kind of funny because I often lose the vanilla cursor while fighting. Too many hard to see blue/red squares hiding the hard to see blue/red cursor so I lose it the moment I stop focusing on it.
I'm definitely going to give this a try.

EDIT: I'm absolutely loving it so far. It'll take a bit to get used to the dark menu's but everything is really easy to read and see. I'm able to quickly spot things that I'd of struggled to see before.
I did notice one problem. On the sector map you can't see the button for Enable/Disable Sector Camera even though you can still click it.
Thanks. I'll fix this issue.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Sun, 16. Sep 12, 06:48

Really impressive HUD juju1111. Looks amazing in game.

juju1111

Post by juju1111 » Tue, 18. Sep 12, 05:27

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys, I appreciate.

Updated to v1.3 with the following changes :

+ Improved non-hovered scrollbar visibility
+ Combat related mouse cursors are now in orange for improved combat readability
+ Fixed a glitch where the sector camera wasn't visible in sector map.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”