X-Rebirth' scripting question : I/O files

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RedEclipse
x4

X-Rebirth' scripting question : I/O files

Post by RedEclipse » Wed, 15. Aug 12, 22:11

Will it be possible to read and write files in the script editor ? I know that was intentionnaly left out of X2 and X3:R. Didn't checked yet for TC or AP.

That would help a lot for scripting. I could use a java or C# program that read the file, write what he calculated in another file, giving this to Rebirth. Rebirth use a script to use what's been calculated.

Somehow, we could also use that to make some multiplayer mods aswell (not the one that you can shoot other in the face, but the one that show other's factories).

Here's my 2c.
"AaaAaaAah ! They're everywhere...", Jane Doe, Freedom Force.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 16. Aug 12, 19:28

Writing data (text) to a log file and reading it from an xml-file in the t-folder can be done in the Script Editor since X2: The Threat.

However, X Rebirth won't feature the Script Editor, but will use 3 xml based scripting languages similar to the Mission Director of the X3 games.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

IceDown
x4

Post by IceDown » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 06:46

Thank you. So maybe I/o will be a little easier.

And btw I think this is one of the most informative statements about the game we have heard in months.

Kahitar
x4

Post by Kahitar » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 11:48

IceDown wrote: And btw I think this is one of the most informative statements about the game we have heard in months.
Jup, awesome!

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 13:24

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 14:35

Thank you, I didn't know you know do that in X2.

I though t-files were "CATified" and loaded in ram once for all at savegame loading and never refreshed in X2, but there's a lot of time I didn't try to mod any X game (since X2).
I remember reading maybe CBJ or someone central in modding at that time saying "external data <-> game is intentionally impossible" and I remember trying to avoid that, but I must have done it very wrong.
X2-Illuminatus wrote:However, X Rebirth won't feature the Script Editor, but will use 3 xml based scripting languages similar to the Mission Director of the X3 games.
It may seems important or not to you but I think it is for us : do you think most mods done with the SE can be redone in MD ?

That may conditionize the fact I'm starting a mod for X3, I would want to port it if I'm doint it rigth.
Last edited by RedEclipse on Fri, 17. Aug 12, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 14:50

X-R will be so different to X3 engine-wise that scripts and gamefile-edits are unlikely to port across to an engine that is not intended to use them.

Mission Director (MD) code on the other hand might appear similar in presentation and format and so previous experience of that with X3 could be useful. Even so, beware that the effects of specific MD instructions may be implemented totally differently between the engines.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 14:53

I see and understand what you say, my question was more about what you can do and what you can't do today vs what you will be able to do and what you willl not be able to do in Rebirth.

I'm not talking about technical stuff, only functional stuff. "technical is easy" :)

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 16:07

RedEclipse wrote:my question was more about what you can do and what you can't do today vs what you will be able to do and what you willl not be able to do in Rebirth.
I'm not sure if you've dabbled yet in MD code, but this very hard to answer as functionality in MD expands almost every patch. The MD tools in X3R were crude in comparison to the tool set in X3TC / X3AP. The possible uses of the current MD tool set are limited only by hard code, your own skill, and imagination.

Sorry for the very general reply, but MD code is pretty much a well equipped toolbox. What's capable with such a thing?

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 16:17

Well... Can we make an ingame menu in MD ?

See what I mean.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 16:32

The problem is that:

a. If you are talking about X-Rebirth then that sits in the list of things we don't know or, where known by someone, cannot be disclosed.

b. If you are talking about current X3 MD coding capability, even in generalities, then you need to be asking or researching in the S&M forum where you will get advice from those that actually do it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

RedEclipse
x4

Post by RedEclipse » Fri, 17. Aug 12, 16:44

I'm in the good forum, Alan, so... a :)

I hope they'll give informations soon because "we need" to abandon SE which is easy to learn and quite well documented (soon or not), if they want the most possible modding support @ release.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”