Mines(squash, tracker, anti matter) is there realy any use fo them?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

samoja

Mines(squash, tracker, anti matter) is there realy any use fo them?

Post by samoja » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:24

In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face, in X however i cant see a use for them, maybe if they had friend-foe recognition system you could use them for protecting your property(although considering the price you are probably better off using ships) but rely, the AI is far from being able to handle a simple tailing, best it can do is just(possibly crash into you or something else) turn around, repeat, and deploying them around base practically ensures you get no customers whatsoever(god forbid you try sending your own freighters out), combined with the fact they are illegal to most races it rely seems they are just there so they would be there, just to fill the form, and no real use.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:28

Not in my experience, no. :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:34

Have you actually tried dropping a small mine field behind you and then activating it just as the bad guy chasing you approaches it? :fg:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

samoja

Post by samoja » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:40

Nanook wrote:Have you actually tried dropping a small mine field behind you and then activating it just as the bad guy chasing you approaches it? :fg:
Well most of the time the "bad guy" was trying to not get toasted by my HEPT fire, and his buddies were just flying around like headless flies spewing potshots at me.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:44

If you're that close, you don't want to be dropping mines, anyway. They have a pretty large blast radius. They're more for area denial, and not really designed for dogfighting. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:46

Also why say "In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face" as if it does not work in X3 and when you haven't really tried it? It actually works rather well if done correctly when you are running in a straight line from a pursuing ship, group or swarm.

In case anyone is unsure, all types of explosive mines will act, have effects and be used similarly. There are no differences by type apart from name, sources and cost.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

samoja

Post by samoja » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 18:53

Alan Phipps wrote:Also why say "In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face" as if it does not work in X3 and when you haven't really tried it? It actually works rather well if done correctly when you are running from a ship, group or swarm.
Because in Freelancer you often had a guy trailing you(which you could not shake) especially in MP, so showing a mine up his throat was a good solution, here tough your enemies are not smart enough to stay on your tail and the fact that mines are illegal, and that they can blow up in your own face means they are rely not a good thing to have onboard just so you can space a few buggers in 1 out of 1000 situations, Drones are better for that task anyway, they are legal, last longer and always hit (correct) target. and if you are far enough to drop mines safely, you are most likely far enough to get the hell away.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:04

You said " ... you are most likely far enough to get the hell away". Not if you are in a freighter and cannot jump away .... Sure, it is not frequently an optimum tactic, but that doesn't mean that you cannot do it. I have many times - and it works. Dropping LTs works too (in TC but not AP though). Surely you like a bit of variety in your games now and again?
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:08

samoja wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:Also why say "In games like Freelancer mines indeed had a purpose, if a guy was trailing you you could drop a mine right into his face" as if it does not work in X3 and when you haven't really tried it? It actually works rather well if done correctly when you are running from a ship, group or swarm.
Because in Freelancer you often had a guy trailing you(which you could not shake) especially in MP, so showing a mine up his throat was a good solution, here tough your enemies are not smart enough to stay on your tail and the fact that mines are illegal, and that they can blow up in your own face means they are rely not a good thing to have onboard just so you can space a few buggers in 1 out of 1000 situations, Drones are better for that task anyway, they are legal, last longer and always hit (correct) target. and if you are far enough to drop mines safely, you are most likely far enough to get the hell away.
That's your opinion, and just because you haven't found a good use for them doesn't mean others haven't. And mines are in the game for those others to use. Let me put it another way. Things like the mines are there to give the player choices. Even though something may not fit a given player's style, they may be just perfect for someone else. The game is full of that kind of variety, and without it, it would probably be a bit boring. :wink:

As for using drones instead, I say PAH! Show me a drone that can take out a whole gang of pirates, from M5's to M3's, with one shot. A SQUASH mine can if used properly. And in the X-Universe, I've had enemies chase me many a time that I had a hard time getting away from, especially in my TS. Most of those times I didn't have a mine in my cargo hold, although I found myself wishing I did. Drones die easily, and don't pack that big of a punch. Mines kill everything instantly. Drones have their place, but so do mines.

samoja

Post by samoja » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:10

Alan Phipps wrote:You said " ... you are most likely far enough to get the hell away". Not if you are in a freighter and cannot jump away .... Sure, it is not frequently an optimum tactic, but that doesn't mean that you cannot do it. I have many times - and it works. Dropping LTs works too. Surely you like a bit of variety in your games now and again?
Sure i do, but in my opinion mines would get about 200% increase in their usefulness if they were 1. legal, and 2. had a friend-foe recognition system, that would make them a viable option to use in combat, as it is they are not worth the hassle, they just aren't.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 3. Jul 12, 19:44

Pretty sure the only places all mines are classified as illegal are in Argon and Boron space. The other races actually produce most of them, so in the vast majority of the universe they're perfectly legal. The only mines that are classed as illegal in all five Commonwealth races sectors are matter/anti-matter mines (probably because they're Terran in origin). Ion mines and SQUASH mines are legal everywhere else.

As for friend/foe recognition, yes and no. You can turn them on and off if they're your own, though, giving you ultimate control.

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Thu, 5. Jul 12, 18:44

Nanook wrote:Pretty sure the only places all mines are classified as illegal are in Argon and Boron space. The other races actually produce most of them, so in the vast majority of the universe they're perfectly legal. The only mines that are classed as illegal in all five Commonwealth races sectors are matter/anti-matter mines (probably because they're Terran in origin). Ion mines and SQUASH mines are legal everywhere else.

As for friend/foe recognition, yes and no. You can turn them on and off if they're your own, though, giving you ultimate control.
Ion Mines and Squish Mines are illegal in Argon and Boron space. So not every where. <- <That is what Nanook said. Alan Phipps.>
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Thu, 5. Jul 12, 23:28

If you dare to modify your game you can get a script that launches mines per hotkey with preset fuse (no manual tracking/timing necessary after drop). You obviously need to aquire Mines first of course :wink:
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Osiris454
x3tc

Post by Osiris454 » Fri, 6. Jul 12, 07:40

Would it be possible to modify a mine to have the detonating power of a large missile? Like a Firestorm Torpedo?

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Fri, 6. Jul 12, 09:05

Have you ever read this example. To sum it up 100 SQUASH mines = a dead anything.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 6. Jul 12, 09:09

Mine detonations are hardcoded, not a value in a resource file.

As a workaround you could try tieing a SIGNAL_DESTROYED to the mine object class and script additional damage to surrounding objects.
You can't (easily) target missiles with such an object search, though, but with another workaround...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Troubleshooter11
x4

Post by Troubleshooter11 » Fri, 6. Jul 12, 09:29

jack775544 wrote:Have you ever read this example. To sum it up 100 SQUASH mines = a dead anything.
I knew someone was going to bring that chapter up sooner or later. It's freaking brilliant. :D

Echofinder
x3tc

Post by Echofinder » Fri, 6. Jul 12, 10:04

Yarr, mines are hard-coded to deal a set amount of damage which scales by distance. I think it's still the case where all mines - tracker, ion, SQUASH, and M/AM regardless - are the same in terms of effect; an unguided 75MJ of damage at ground zero with at 750m trigger range.

What you *can* do is edit the ware itself so you get more per production cycle and lower the price (Currently it's 1:1 Mine vs Thunderbolt missile and 2:1 for Mine vs Lasertower). Then our mad-bombing antics won't break our wallets along with the enemy ships.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 7. Jul 12, 00:13

Troubleshooter11 wrote:
jack775544 wrote:Have you ever read this example. To sum it up 100 SQUASH mines = a dead anything.
I knew someone was going to bring that chapter up sooner or later. It's freaking brilliant. :D
Damright! I nearly peed myself laughing when NS brought out this chapter!

I like 'squish mines' though :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”