[AP] Tranquillity - a former admiral's adventure

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Olterin
xr

[AP] Tranquillity - a former admiral's adventure

Post by Olterin » Fri, 4. May 12, 08:23

I've been pondering whether to do this or not ... and finally decided to go ahead and do it anyway. This is going to be Malcolm Roberts' story - for a background, I strongly recommend reading From Nothing - Book I and Prodigal Son - Book II by Scion Drakhar.

Now, this is going to be more of a fictional story with the AP X-Universe as a backdrop, so I'm not going to run it as a strict DiD (wouldn't want the silly mistakes coming from not having played a long time to kill the story), however, anything happening within the confines of the story goes. This game is also not going to be vanilla, again, for story purposes. No cheating myself an ATF battlefleet (or anything similarly ridiculously overpowered) though :)

Oh, yes, SPOILER ALERT (though I probably won't be doing the plots), you have been warned, dear reader.

The direct introduction to this story can be found here. Now, with all that information out of the way, I present the first real bit of story:

1. A rough ride

Tasha was looking at the sensor readings. Malcolm was still asleep in the back. He was right, she did have some experience with surviving in a hostile Commonwealth environment. And that's what they needed right now. So, she headed for Yaki space - the only really organized pirate clan that didn't double-cross anyone. So far. Working for them would eventually get Malcolm and her a Chokaro-class TM, from where they could then conduct their business. It sounded like a good plan in her head.

What's this then, Tasha thought, as she checked her sensor readings again. A ship classed as an M5 and called a 'Scout'? I thought they were all cleaned up by Operation Final Fury? She changed course to intercept - this was worth investigating. There still might be something valuable aboard... And she was right, a Kha'ak beam weapon. If only they still had their R&D facilities ... Oh well, she thought, let's order it to dock at the nearest military base. She then reset her course for Yaki space.

==============

'Alert- Alert, missile closing.' Betty's matter-of-fact voice finally woke him up.

"Whnnnngggh?" He felt the unmistakeable tug of acceleration that always set in in fighters before the inertial dampeners kicked in. At least in all the fighters he's been in, maybe it was his bad luck.

"It's ok, Mal", replied Tasha to what she guessed, correctly, was a 'what?'.

"Missile warnin'? Where ar' we?" Malcolm was rushing through his usual wake-up phase, leading to some confusion in his brain.

"Empire's Edge."

"Righ'... Going to the Yaki?" His brain was finally getting to grips with being awake.

"Yep. Only ones who didn't cross us in the past."

"How'd you know they won't do it in the future?"

"I don't. But that's our best chance right now, what with being hostile to slightly more than half the Universe and all that." Tasha replied, focusing on avoiding being hit by missiles. Not that it was particularly hard when sitting in the cockpit of a missile yourself, but still. "Go back to sleep, we still have a bit of a flight ahead of us."

"Right... No. You go rest once we're out of 'nid space. I'll find somewhere to dock."

"Ok."

==============

Savage Spur. Not officially claimed by anyone, but apparently the Yaki have taken a liking to this sector. This interceptor patrol is proof enough as far as I'm concerned. Also, one huge asteroid field. Nice place to lose someone if you're being chased. Now, where's this gate into Yaki territory ...

... Ah, there it is.

==============

So, turns out the Yaki have set up their own stock exchange in the meantime. But that's not where I'm headed right now. No, it's their shipyard. A passing Ruy captain told me where to find it after me politely asking. Looks like they might be interested in some of the software aboard... So, I request docking permission, which is granted.

"Tasha, we're there."

"We are? Great. Now, we need to find someone willing to trade in ships - we have to get rid of this Kestrel, it's tracing us back to Drakhar Enterprises. It practically has it written all over, and we don't want to be associated with a recently destroyed pirate organization, now do we."

"Yes, we don't. So, what do you suggest?"

"I suggest you go talk to that ship dealer over there and see if you can trade."

Sound suggestion. Dear me, am I not fully awake yet? So yeah, let's see what can be done about getting a brand-new ship. The man in question is a rather old Argon wearing a black patch over his left eye. Wrinkled skin. Missing teeth in the smile he's offering me as I approach. I imagine people dressed in a uniform (well, sort of) aren't seen all that often in the fighter docks.

"Got a mighty fine ship over yonder, lad. So, what can I do fer sumone with such a fine lady?"

"You wouldn't happen to have a cheap scout ship, would you?"

"Why'd ye want one? You got her already, don't ye?"

"I'm looking to sell her, actually."

"Sell?! Lad, do well by yer ship and she'll do mighty fine by ye! And I'd wager ye do well by her, judging by her looks."

Think, Malcolm, think.

"Well... it's an inheritance. From a recently deceased uncle."

"Ooooh. So why'd ye want to get rid of her?"

"It wasn't my favorite uncle. In fact, this ship bears some rather unpleasant memories."

"Right, right ... So, ye be lookin' for a scout ship, aye?"

"Yes."

"I say, for such a mighty fine ship such as her I'll offer you a special. I don't normally stock 'em, but I'd say this occasion warrants an exception, no?"

"One condition: I want some of the equipment transferred over to this new 'special'. Would you trust me to not run off with your ship while I transfer the equipment?"

"Trust ye, lad? You be no runnin' off either way until you get clearance. And ye only geddit after we're done with our trade. In my line a business, trust is somethin' of a luxury, ye see."

"Ok then. I'll just head back over and finish the transfer, then the Kestrel is yours."

==============

Ok, so, I'll want the turbo booster. I'll want the boost extension. I'll want the fight command software suite. I'll really, really want the CLS system. I'll want the scanner suite and the vid goggles. That should do. Wait, I forgot one: docking computer. The less old equipment we have, the less are the chances we're tracked back to Drakhar Enterprises. This Fujin Raider will do nicely.

"Tasha, you ok with this?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. In fact, just drop me off at the Stock Exchange when you head back out, maybe I can learn something useful in the meantime. Plus, if you need me, you know where to find me." She's trying to hide her annoyance of not being out there, I can see that ... but oh well. We'll get the Chokaro soon enough. In fact...

"Right. Will do."

==============

"So, what'd you give me for that Kestrel?"

"If it were not a hot ware, probably in the region of 2,5 million credits."

"What do you mean, 'hot ware'?"

"Look, lad, I been in this business long enough ter know when a ship's hot. And this beauty has it written all over. Haven't ye heard? Terrans went after Drakhar Enterprises, and then the Commonwealth? And your beauty has 'Drakhar Enterprises' printed all over her signatures."

"... Right ..."

"Nice try, though. Tell ye what, I give you the Fujin, ye get to keep some of the hardware, I give ye 20k credits on top of it. Jus' ... don' touch the salvage claim suite or the firewall."

"Deal."

"Off you go, then. And remember to do good by yer ship!"

"Goodbye."

_________

I'll update with pictures when I'm not in somewhat of a hurry. Also, updates may be few and far between, but unlike previous times that I literally had a DiD drop due to lack of plot ideas, I have something in mind here, so an abrupt ending should not be happening. Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Coupaholic
x3tc

Post by Coupaholic » Fri, 4. May 12, 10:43

...and that's another thread to follow. I fear I'm going to get quite confused soon.

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Fri, 4. May 12, 12:22

Do you and drakar intend to interweave your stories,or will they be seperate entities.Like a timeline split?

Zaitsev
x4

Post by Zaitsev » Fri, 4. May 12, 16:29

Nice start, Olterin. All I can say is that I'm patiently awaiting MOAR! :D
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D

DiDs:
Eye of the storm Completed
Eye of the storm - book 2 Inactive
Black Sun - Completed
Endgame - Completed

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 4. May 12, 19:03

GOSNELL wrote:Do you and drakar intend to interweave your stories,or will they be seperate entities.Like a timeline split?
This is a question that has no definite answer as of yet. However, what I can tell is this: there is a time period when Drake from SDs story was still out of the picture whereas Mal and Tasha were already out and about. So there's certainly a span of time to figure that out (without having to resolve any conflicts). We'll see how it goes, for now I consider it a junction from the main storyline that I intend to keep consistent with said main storyline - how that's achieved will be sorted out in the future.
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Fri, 4. May 12, 23:55

Olterin wrote:
GOSNELL wrote:Do you and drakar intend to interweave your stories,or will they be seperate entities.Like a timeline split?
This is a question that has no definite answer as of yet. However, what I can tell is this: there is a time period when Drake from SDs story was still out of the picture whereas Mal and Tasha were already out and about. So there's certainly a span of time to figure that out (without having to resolve any conflicts). We'll see how it goes, for now I consider it a junction from the main storyline that I intend to keep consistent with said main storyline - how that's achieved will be sorted out in the future.
My goal was to play the game and keep it a DiD as much as possible. Olterin had some pretty specific ideas that he wanted to explore so for the time being our stories are interwoven in terms of fiction but not necessarily in game play.

Either way, Olterin I too am looking forward to see what you do next. :D

Cheers
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 5. May 12, 02:59

This is one reason there isn't an Ea't story going. Others including I've done an Ea't game and it didn't quite capture him as well as I wanted, so I don't want to wander off the rails. I also don't have AP, so it'd be a bit silly. And ultimately I'd have to cut it off when SD was ready to 'Assemble the Avengers' again.

Fear not however. Roid towing continues and I have an even more ingenious plan readying itself.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Sat, 5. May 12, 16:19

Well both of you have me hooked on your tales.

Triaxx Eat is one of the best characters in the story you owe it to him to buy albion prelude :wink: .I swear i have nearly cracked ribs laughing.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sat, 5. May 12, 19:32

GOSNELL wrote:Triaxx Eat is one of the best characters in the story you owe it to him to buy albion prelude :wink: .I swear i have nearly cracked ribs laughing.
Ditto that.
I remember that when I read:

"Apparently Split Vipers are not free for the taking. Oops."

I nearly sprayed coffee all over my monitor.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 6. May 12, 05:34

Alright, I'll look into it. At the moment though, funds are scarce, and while I have a more potent connection, I don't look forward to explaining why the internet is slow because we went past our 7.5G per month high-speed allotment. So I need a disc copy, and I don't have a store local to buy one from so I'd have to get it from Amazon.

Which all sounds like an excuse. And it is, unabashedly. I would like to play AP, but my computer sometimes gets stymied by TC, and well, I can't imagine AP being any better.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sun, 6. May 12, 05:36

Fortunately it's not any worse, either ... unless you crank the graphics up real high or use MARS on everything of course.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sun, 6. May 12, 09:01

Also, fortunately, AP uses a lot of TC assets, the AP download itself is around 2GB. There was a guide somewhere in the stickies in the main forum on how to minimize the download, iirc... Now, back on topic everyone :p

I've certainly not played the early game for too long - you know how hard it is to do anything of note in AP with a Fujin Raider not tuned to max (when 3 of the main races are on shooty-shooty relations with you, and then also the Terrans)? (And at first, without shields even) - I'm open to suggestions/advice here :-/

Edit: I should probably provide a bit of the framework here - taking missions is a no-go (well, at least not very often - like, at most one per game day), playing the stock market is a no-go (both for story reasons). Race relations aren't at their best, and Mal has set everyone but Argon and Teladi as hostile (with the Split, Paranid and Terrans being very much on shoot-on-sight relations either way)
Last edited by Olterin on Sun, 6. May 12, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Sun, 6. May 12, 09:16

If you're using the same race relations template as Drake I'd suggest staying in Argon core sectors until you're better equipped. In Heron's Nebula you can trade space fuel for a decent profit, just keep an eye on the cops. And when the trading station is full up you can make runs to the pirates in Atreus Clouds ... unless they want to kill you of course. For missions I'd focus on ship returns, cattle class taxi runs, and asteroid scans. Then just take every opportunity you can get to manipulate the game in your favor.

Also, if you're not planning on a vanilla game you can install Yaki Armada and take advantage of the equipment dock it puts in Senators Badlands.

That's my two cents for now ...

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 6. May 12, 12:09

Balls to that. You've got guns? Go jack some boron freighters and dump them at the Teladi shipyard in Seizewell. If you're good, you can sit near the Teladi Gain> Family Whi gate, and scan them. If they're likely targets, you can duck after them, cap them in Split Space, which will increase Split Rep, and then be back out through the gate before the Split realize they should be overhauling you.

At least, that's what I'd do.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sun, 13. May 12, 09:42

Triaxx2 wrote:Balls to that. You've got guns? Go jack some boron freighters and dump them at the Teladi shipyard in Seizewell. If you're good, you can sit near the Teladi Gain> Family Whi gate, and scan them. If they're likely targets, you can duck after them, cap them in Split Space, which will increase Split Rep, and then be back out through the gate before the Split realize they should be overhauling you.

At least, that's what I'd do.
Umm... yeah. Got guns, but (almost) no shields and not sufficient speed to run circles around fighter drone clouds. And many freighters that I did scan had a fair few aboard.

I've gotten somewhere though, but writing about it is going to take a bit still, was not feeling well the past week and still had RL obligations, so... Update is coming, hopefully within a week.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 13. May 12, 13:43

That's why you overhaul them in Split space. Then the authorities will gank the drones for you.

Family Whi is the place to do it. There are always Boron there heading for the SPP's there.

Return to “Creative Universe”