Advice please (installing X2 on Win 7)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

John Galt
x2

Advice please (installing X2 on Win 7)

Post by John Galt » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 09:08

Hi Forum Users, I need some help. (Firstly it is worth noting that I am not very techy, so hence the reason I am asking for help).

Used to have X2 on my PC way back in around 2004. Loved it, as I was one of those who really enjoyed Elite back in the days of the C64 and Atari ST. Anyways, I digress. In 2007 the PC I had X2 on was stolen [very gutted at the time, especially for how well I had my set-up in X2]. Despite buying a very good laptop, I've never attempted to upload the game until I just purchased a new desktop.

Anyways, just attempted to upload [to live the old skool days] and it won't. Install Wizard says I must modify my PC. My new PC Spec is as follows;

Windows 7
Intel Core i3 Processor
Intel HD Graphics
6GB DDR3 Memory
Multi-in 1 Media Card Reader

So please can someone tell me what is it I am missing and need?

[i]Edit: Made topic title more informative. X2-Illuminatus [/i]

bulgaria

Post by bulgaria » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 09:55

:lol: LOL mate...those system recuitments are like for x3 terran conflict..im using

AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245

processor 2,91 mega herces,1.75 ram memory

and Seriosly im using windows XP
Last edited by bulgaria on Tue, 20. Mar 12, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

SteelRush
x4

Post by SteelRush » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 09:56

Honestly, easiest way to install this is to just buy the dirt cheap Steam version, which has some codec improvements backported from X3:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2800

There's no DRM, so you can just download, and never use Steam again.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 22. Mar 12, 11:44

Not a scripts and modding problem, so I moved your topic to the technical forum.

***moved***

There is actually no need to buy the game from Steam, if you have the CD-version. The problem you encountered is that the copy protection driver is not compatible with newer operating systems. But there is an easy workaround described in the How To Run X2 On Vista (or Windows 7)-Sticky.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

FuzzyGman

Post by FuzzyGman » Sun, 8. Apr 12, 04:55

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8300 desktop with the following:

Windows 7 Professional w/Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
16.0 GB RAM (yes, this is correct)
64-bit OS
AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card w/ 1 GB

In addition, I recently purchased from Steam the entire X series, but have only installed X2: The Threat, which is playing perfectly except for the fact that every time I try and do the Combat Simulator, I get blown to bits.

That said, your particular system should not cause any problems other than what has been discussed and following subsequent work-arounds...

Happy Modding!!

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”