EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

X-Rebirth beta
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
jonsnow13

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 08:39    Post subject: X-Rebirth beta Reply with quote Print

Currently there's a game out called Miner Wars That has a unique purchase system

If you buy the game at half price now, while the game still roughly 1/10th what it should be you'll get a full copy at release and be able to play the immediate alpha version.

I think X-Rebirth should look into doing something like this.

I was reading the developers blog on why they went this way, and they said if they didn't go this route then they'd literally have to release the product before it was finished because they didn't have enough cash saved up to push the release date out further, and by doing this they got people to buy the game who normally may not have simply because it was 50% off. It has worked amazingly well for them. They take care of their beta tester problem, get a ton of feedback, and also get to release a more finished, better version of the game if they hadn't done this. Thus more sales will be coming at the end, because the product is way better.

Sirus5

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 09:33    Post subject: Rebirth Beta Reply with quote Print

Ha wonderful -

What do you think Albion Prelude is then....
You could call AP the Beta of Rebirth - it's got the new engine and everything, they just haven't got all the missions and things in yet.

That's just my view, but it makes sense -
1. We need something to keep us happy whilst they finish Rebirth.
2. They have the new engine and a bit of content...

So, they offer AP with the new engine - I think that savegames may even be forwards compatible with Rebirth (but that will need confirmation) and you get it at a reduced price...
When Rebirth is offered, they will probably offer an upgrade path from AP.

Smile

Spero

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 09:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Egosoft already do this. Wink

No offence intended, still my favourite games company.

wRAR

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 12:31    Post subject: Re: Rebirth Beta Reply with quote Print

Sirus5 wrote:
What do you think Albion Prelude is then....
You could call AP the Beta of Rebirth - it's got the new engine and everything, they just haven't got all the missions and things in yet.

Not sure if trolling.

ShoC

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Eummmm I'm fairly sure this is not the new engine!

Catra wrote:
because you cant terraform a rock.
X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

MEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

jonsnow13 wrote:
I think X-Rebirth should look into doing something like this.

I bet you mean Egosoft should look into doing this for X Rebirth. Wink

This business model is mostly used when the funding of a project is not assured, when it's started. While there are a lot of chances with this, the overall risk, that you won't have the money to develop your project further, remains.

Given that the X Rebirth development is now in its 5th year and that Egosoft has a publisher (Koch Media / Deep Silver), I'm pretty sure that the funding is assured.

Sirus5 wrote:
You could call AP the Beta of Rebirth

Sure, you could also call a chair a pink elephant. Doesn't make it right, but if you want, no one will stop you.

Sirus5 wrote:
That's just my view, but it makes sense

Not at all. Neither has X3AP a new engine nor will the new engine be compatible with the current game, its engine and saves. Also you just don't take the engine of one game, put missions and "gameplay stuff" of the old game on top of it and ready is the new game. That's simply not how it works.

Spero wrote:
Egosoft already do this.

Not exactly. While there is the DevNet, in which community members can be involved in testing and developing games, pre-purchasing games, that are in development, is not involved.

FAQ - häufig gestellte Fragen einfach beantwortet.
XDownloads - Upload, Link, Download
"...time it seems does not care if you have stuff to do or not, it just goes by regardless." - Ketraar
Terrachova

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Sounds a lot like what Minecraft did. Buy the game now for like, 50% off, get each new version as its made.

That said, I doubt it would work with Rebirth, especially since, its not likely to b nearly as 'modular' as Minecraft. A fun idea, but not for everything. After all, X-Rebirth, I feel, would only really work as a completed game.[/i]

alr

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

hahaha. Hilarious. AP has the New engine he says. LOL.

Well, dont know what a game engine is then do we now?

Sirus5

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 14:52    Post subject: Apologies Reply with quote Print

My apologies to everyone if I got things wrong - I was just reading between the lines
What I read is below.....

If you look at this, you can see it is a bridge between TC and rebirth.
It has new features which will be most probably part of rebirth.
It does NOT have savegame compatibility - this means that there have been some major changes and one would have to assume that part of the engine would have been changed in preparation for rebirth - thus savegames not compatible - some database changes (what I would call database but are really their version of database) .....
That is what I based my assumptions on - ok, perhaps I was wrong but it does seem to suggest that lots of mods have been made on the way towards rebirth and this is a nice way of making everyone happy and easing them into the next stage...

Bridging the gap between X3:Terran Conflict and the upcoming X:Rebirth
- Improved user interface
- New Stock Exchange feature
- A huge war and lots of new missions and ships!

Egosoft is pleased to announce X3: Albion Prelude, which provides a welcome bridge from the X Universe we know and love to the X Universe that will be experienced in X Rebirth. This new adventure will also feature more than 30 new ships and stations. A new Stock Exchange feature will enable players to speculate in local markets in a bid to increase their wealth. With this will also come tools to monitor and analyse economic developments and progress. Users with high-end machines will also benefit from some improved graphical quality settings. It is important to note that X3: Albion Prelude will NOT feature savegame compatibility with X3: Terran Conflict.

ConCorDian

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

alr wrote:
dont know what a game engine is then do we now?

is that the bit that burns the fuel to make the ships move? Laughing

bit.hauler

modified
PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

That's exactly what Firefly Studios should have done when they were making Stronghold 3. They ran out of money while working on the game so the CEO decided to release the game way before it was ready (based on a post-release interview about the night-marish experience). The community was outraged at the extremely poor quality of the game - it was largely unplayable, and they lost a lot of fans. They knew they could get a ton of money because there were a ton of pre-orders because the series had such a large following. They would have hugely benefited from a Beta launch like this and kept all their fans in the process.

Stronghold 2 was released pre-maturely by the same developers but the quality wasn't nearly as bad as SH3 was.

Last edited by bit.hauler on Sat, 3. Mar 12, 16:19; edited 1 time in total
highflier

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

what has a savegame todo with the game engine? that incompatibily is just plain artificial because it doesnt make sense to start a game like AP in a full fleet with 10000 complexes...

ConCorDian wrote:
alr wrote:
dont know what a game engine is then do we now?

is that the bit that burns the fuel to make the ships move? Laughing

full yes Wink

Sirus5

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 17:07    Post subject: Game Engine Reply with quote Print

A Game Engine I think will be a large set of functions and maybe structures which are put together (I assume this will be using C# as it's a language which allows both low and high level coding).
It may or may not include a main procedure which will be the heart of the X3 program.

These functions and structures will then be called from each task which is run on the processor and each task will reference the main "Engine".

highflier

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 17:11    Post subject: Re: Game Engine Reply with quote Print

Sirus5 wrote:
A Game Engine I think will be a large set of functions and maybe structures which are put together (I assume this will be using C# as it's a language which allows both low and high level coding).
It may or may not include a main procedure which will be the heart of the X3 program.

These functions and structures will then be called from each task which is run on the processor and each task will reference the main "Engine".

that is correct tho you should adjust your irony detector Wink

Sirus5

PostPosted: Sat, 3. Mar 12, 17:16    Post subject: lol Reply with quote Print

Yeah, sorry, not with it today, been ill.

I was originally writing that for dlr (I think) although I did notice the fun you guys were having.

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page 1, 2  Next