Will Ships Crashing themselves be fixed?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

12pak1

Will Ships Crashing themselves be fixed?

Post by 12pak1 » Tue, 14. Feb 12, 17:59

This is my only concern. All the changes sound great to me and I can't wait to play. But before I buy this one, I want to know if I as a player will still have to worry about staying out of any area that one of my AI ships if flying in? Will a tradeship still go all wobbly kneed and nose dive into the nearest asteroid as soon as I enter the zone? Will wingmen continue to trade blows whilst refusing to decide which side they want to fly on? And is friendly fire going to be addressed so that the player can actually enjoy completing a mission without pissing everyone off that's not your intended target? OR,....will Cycrow have to produce us a mod to fix all this for us once again after release? Don't mean to sound harsh, but these were major issues for me in the previous games. Nothing more frustrating than defending a station for 30 seconds, then apologizing to 30 stray ships for unintentional fire for the next hour. Or how bout spending hours meticulously selecting and customizing some new fighters to proudly show the world as newly graduated wingmen, only to have them embarrass me by crashing into each other and exploding away millions of credits after the first gate pass.

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 14. Feb 12, 18:18

they did say that pathfinding is going to be improved

Mustur
x3tc

Post by Mustur » Tue, 14. Feb 12, 20:17

Egosoft wrote:AI: Improved flight AI allows ships inside complex station geometry.
There you have it. Hopefully it's not too cpu intensive, although multi-core will be supported, so you can have all the AI calculations on a seperate core.

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Tue, 14. Feb 12, 20:42

No they will be as dumb as they are already lol All the new engine is about to let everything as it is now.... just wondering here what answer you expect.... ;p
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

platinawolf
x4

Post by platinawolf » Wed, 15. Feb 12, 09:34

Would be fun if they made a comparative video first showing all the autopilock misshaps (perhaps staging a few things like tossing in 20 titans into a tight spot in the middle of a complex ^^* ) And then show of the new way :PP Preferably with snide comments about how everything was better before :P

Virtualaughing
x4

Post by Virtualaughing » Thu, 16. Feb 12, 07:52

The very first announcement video about Rebirth show us how ships managge to fly inbetween huge objects. I don't think that is just a hardcoded video. I think the ships will behave exactly the same way :D
X to X3 is MENU SUPERIOR!
I think Egosoft has already worked out our doom, because Xenon AI will reach the stars! :D

OnlineKenji
x3tc

Post by OnlineKenji » Sun, 19. Feb 12, 00:00

They're rewritting the whole thing from scratch. I think that the "highways" simplify pathfinding for the masses of ships, and that allows processing room for more detailed AI for ships engaged in non-everyday activities (i.e. battle).

Since the new system allows for ships to land on the hulls of capital ships, I am assuming that the AI to support that must be pretty darn improved above the previous X games.
There are only two things in life that matter, and I have them both. They're not what you might think, and once you learn that you'll be much happier.

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Sun, 19. Feb 12, 00:53

There is that and the fact SETA will not be there to help kill ships. :lol:
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Scorpionscs
x3tc

Post by Scorpionscs » Wed, 29. Feb 12, 23:31

You want bad I hierd a TL to transport 3 stations I bought in Reunion the drunk ran into a station I lost it all, I hope it gets better please get better ..

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 1. Mar 12, 00:38

Virtualaughing wrote:No they will be as dumb as they are already lol All the new engine is about to let everything as it is now.... just wondering here what answer you expect.... ;p
No need to be rude and condescending, so don't. You certainly didn't have to read or reply to the OP. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Thu, 1. Mar 12, 06:18

I think they should just disable AI collision. Ships still avoid ships, but while under the autopilot or AI, they won't take damage when they enter retard mode.

I'm sure the pathfinding will be improved, but no game has ever managed collision that isn't idiotic.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 22:26

Damage from collision while shields are still up should be minuscule for most ships.
Where is it?

Jumee
x3tc

Post by Jumee » Tue, 6. Mar 12, 22:32

delray wrote:Damage from collision while shields are still up should be minuscule for most ships.
come on, ramming stuff is a way of fighting too :P

goslin
x3ap

Post by goslin » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 00:30

There are millions of ways to fix or improve this. There is honestly no reason for any ship to ever "accidently" collide in a game which takes place in space. We are talking about an environment which is mostly emptiness.

Part of the problem is the existing games have physics too tightly controlling the ships. Writting AI that can make intellegent high-level decisions about what they should be doing is hard enough when you don't also have to then "steer" the ship using the same controls as the player with virtual thrusters and virtual rudders. The AI can't predict where it is REALLY going without actually simulating into the future which is way too expensive to do and still subject to feedback loops.

It's a lot simpler if the AI ships aren't actually controlled by physics at all, they just fake it well enough that the player can't tell, and as a result ships can always succeed in going where they meant to, and not colliding with what they meant to not collide with.

In the event that a collision is literally unavoidable (which can only occur because one of the two people involved is doing so intentionally), the AI detects this and still makes a "good effort" to do something that plausably looks like it trying to avoid the collision and then allows itself to get hit. No actual physics involved.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 13:54

theres 2 major problems ATM, and neither of them have to do with the AI :

1) most ships speed to turning is too low. by the time the call to GTFO is called, its already too late for the ship to turn away.

2) most spiky bits arent considered due to not having any collision detection. the AI assumes its a smooth surface (like the oddyseus or the Python), not something jutting to the brime with mass impalers of doom.
Damage from collision while shields are still up should be minuscule for most ships.
it is miniscule, if you arent going full thrust into it. i think i would rage if i didnt instadie when i plow my Osaka into a Phoenix.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

goslin
x3ap

Post by goslin » Thu, 15. Mar 12, 03:04

1) most ships speed to turning is too low. by the time the call to GTFO is called, its already too late for the ship to turn away.
Technically its momentum that is the problem. This is space not a car with tires. And from your desciption it sounds like you are ordering individual ships to change course in mid-collision... which you shouldn't be doing in the first place. I issue orders like "attack this" not "... and avoid ramming things" - that is a given.
most spiky bits arent considered due to not having any collision detection. the AI assumes its a smooth surface (like the oddyseus or the Python), not something jutting to the brime with mass impalers of doom.
Sounds like a good example of a problem with the AI that needs to fixed in the AI decision making when the AI decides where to go....

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”