[SCR] [X3:TC/AP] [v1.9.8.12] [03/23/14] Galaxy Explorer

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 04:35

Firepower01 wrote:I'd also like to figure out a way to get those pirates to stop killing my satellites :/
As you have seen, if you kill pirates, they will get mad and take it out on one of your satellites (or freighters).

One way to slow down destruction of your satellites is to drop a laser tower along with each satellite that you drop in a risky sector. It isn't perfect, but it can help, especially if the pirates are only mildly annoyed with you.

Galaxy Explorers also helps a little by placing the satellites far off of the ecliptic. That reduces the amount of traffic near them and, consequently, reduces the number of "drive-by shootings".

For more difficult sectors you could create a mineral mine or factory in the sector (instead of a satellite). They have much stronger shields and can usually withstand a few hits.

The only sure-fire way to keep your satellites safe is to keep your sectors clear of enemies by using patrols. If you do not have a large fleet yet, then one of the above solutions will reduce the problem.

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 09:01

Or you could get the Salvage Command Software script and upgrade your advsats to "Stealth" versions. Then they'll only die if something bumps them.

gnasirator
x3tc

Post by gnasirator » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 10:00

yeah but come on ... I don't want this to become a cheat script.

The universe is a rough place to live. even for poor, lonely, defenseless satellites ;)

they die from time to time ... so you'd better protect them!

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 10:18

Once you get a healthy coverage of the entire universe it doesn't take that long for a few universal explorers to repair lost sats anyway :)

Speaking of cheat script.. hehe, is there any way I can convince you to make their level up requirements a little easier? Once you have most of the universe discovered it's pretty hard to level them up and well, it's nice to have asteroid scanning-advsat replacing minions.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 15:26

Consider it done, Probe1.

Galaxy Explorers have no level-up requirements. They are AI's, just like the rest of the game.

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 20:35

I.. mixed this script up with the other older script haha. my bad. I just realized it right now and you've already noticed my error.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sat, 28. Jan 12, 20:49

No problemo, hermano. :)

I have hopes that Galaxy Explorers will become the best of the universe-explorer scripts. Already, Galaxy Explorers has the one important feature missing from most explorer scripts -- the choice of whether to uncover new sectors or not.

Gnasirator will fix it up nicely, I'm sure. He has done an amazing amount of work in just a few days.

gnasirator
x3tc

Post by gnasirator » Sun, 29. Jan 12, 00:56

thanks ... :oops: too kind!

monday I'll return home. I hope I can get this script "perfect" then. Already looking forward to working your todo list, DrBullwinkle.

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 05:36

am I thinking this right? galaxy explorer will enable ships that equipped with it to explore the universe automatically?

but to what extent? will 1 ship explore all the sectors?
then what after all sectors revealed, the ship will stop? or wandering around aimlessly?

what about enemy sectors, like xenon sectors? will they enter it and get killed? what about if they have to cross an enemy sector to get into other sector, like the xenon 347 to get from the middle universe to the northeastern side of the universe?

is this compatible with XRM?

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 05:47

nap_rz wrote:am I thinking this right? galaxy explorer will enable ships that equipped with it to explore the universe automatically?
Yes, that is the primary purpose of the Galaxy Explorer. It is like the vanilla Explorer Command Software, but with additional improvements.

One (or more) ship(s) will explore all sectors. You can choose whether you want them to discover new sectors, or whether they should only visit sectors that you have already visited.

Galaxy Explorers also can scan asteroids and place satellites. If you choose to have them maintain a satellite network, then they will continue to do that until you tell them to stop.

The explorers will enter enemy sectors, but will immediately leave IF you tell them not to map enemy sectors.

Good question about crossing enemy sectors. I will leave that one to Gnasirator to answer. :)
is this compatible with XRM?
Probably. Please let us know the results of your tests!

(Please note that Galaxy Explorers is still being developed. It works now, but Gnasirator has plans to improve it.)

Probe1
x3ap

Post by Probe1 » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 06:32

Not only is it compatible with XRM, they compliment each other Disco Exploerers come pre equipped already with all the software you need to fire it up and have your explorer find every single sector in the main universe (No Khaak or hub sectors obviously.)

But if you want them to scan asteroids as well then you'd need to purchase mineral scanner yeah yeah yeah.. Anyway yeah tl;dr i'm running both and it runs wonderfully.

I do miss universal explorers ranking up like Mk3 traders though. It gave the game a lot more personality. These are just .. your bot ships that ease your life. Not your employees :P

gnasirator
x3tc

Post by gnasirator » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 14:05

Good question about crossing enemy sectors. I will leave that one to Gnasirator to answer.
As long as those enemy sectors are known, they won't enter them.
But if they aren't revealed yet, the explorers can't know about hostility, so they have look first ;)

Explorers won't cross the universe to discover that one undiscovered sector btw. They will sooner or later stumble across it and THEN discover it.

This script checks only the current sector which the explorer is in for gates to unknown sectors and prefers them. If none are found, they randomly choose one (BUT skip the sector, they come from to avoid loops). So very simple, yet powerful!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 17:18

That's great, Gnas.

But, um... what about the question? :P

Can the Explorer jump over an enemy sector to get to a safe sector beyond? Or will it retreat and/or avoid that sector?

Either way, I think that no part of the universe is completely blocked by Xenon sectors. So the Explorer will, in time, cover the universe. As (long as you are not enemies with the Teladi. :) )

@Probe1: Thanks for the report on XRM compatibility!

I am not at all a fan of pilots. If they were properly supported by the game, maybe. But the trading pilots are incompatible with the game and, sometimes, with each other. Also, they sometimes have severe problems at lower ranks. And pilots don't really fit the rest of the game, which is based on buying software for your AI at Equipment Docks.

Still, some people must like them. :)

In any case, think of Galaxy Explorers as an upgrade to Explorer Command Software (which is required, iirc). Both upgrades do the same tasks -- but Galaxy Explorers does them better than the vanilla scripts.

@Gnasirator: It would be good to add "XRM Compatible" to the OP.

gnasirator
x3tc

Post by gnasirator » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 17:40

DrBullwinkle wrote:Can the Explorer jump over an enemy sector to get to a safe sector beyond? Or will it retreat and/or avoid that sector?
Sorry, overread that.
The rule here is simple:
Explorers won't fly into enemy sectors (sectors, the ship is hostile to -> can be edited under ship commands!), except the enemy sector is the only way possible (only 1 gate in current sec leading to a hostile sec).
(If set to not explore enemy sectors, of course)!

So if there is any branch in the universe which is blocked by e.g. a xenon sector, it will remain undiscovered unless the explorers are set to discover hostile sectors.
So: easy rule. if you want enemy sectors explored, tell your explorers to do so! ;)

edit:
@Gnasirator: It would be good to add "XRM Compatible" to the OP.
Done.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 18:55

gnasirator wrote:Explorers won't fly into enemy sectors

So: easy rule. if you want enemy sectors explored, tell your explorers to do so!
Sounds good to me. You would not want to remove *all* of the danger and uncertainty from the task! Just keep the danger manageable, which you have done.

@everyone: Scouts do a pretty good job of avoiding enemies on their own. Placing satellites and scanning asteroids are more dangerous than just exploring, of course. But scouts are cheap, and you wanted a few for satellite maintenance anyway, didn't you?

If you want a more sturdy scout, use a Spitfyre.

Force Recon, yeah, that's the ticket! :)

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 19:14

Eve player Bullwinkle? :P

Gonna take a look at this script although i might need to run it alongside ASN1.33 as I already have a navsat network down. I just need the systems fully explored and roids scanned... next playthrough i can try just using this. Running XRM:TC and AP so will report back if any issues but seems unlikely that there would be.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 19:18

Erenar wrote:Eve player Bullwinkle?
Never played Eve.

Why do you ask?

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 19:19

Your comment on force recon :P Eve cruiser class.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 19:27

Sorry, I don't know the reference.

Force Recon is one of the US Marine's special forces units. Basically, spies with guns. Big guns (for a light unit). Lots of guns (for spies). Very bad-ass. 4x100 (or more). No tuxedos. :)

Force Recon has been around much longer than Eve. :)

gnasirator
x3tc

Post by gnasirator » Mon, 30. Jan 12, 21:31

sry to interrupt: new version :)

@DrBullwinkle:
I tried to implement the command as a menu from where the traders can be started, but I failed.
At least I changed the command id to a special command slot. Should be better to find there.

And as a little bonus, I added changeable default configurations for your explorers.
I guess that should eliminate any wish for custom default options ... ;)

Ah and auto naming now is only active WHILE explorers are working. They rename back after they stopped.
So no more confusion about when they are running and when not.

Have fun 8)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”