[TC] Balance of Power Plot Walkthrough

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kylania
x4

Post by kylania » Tue, 24. Jan 12, 02:38

So I tried this last night.

For the scanning mission I had to get within, and stay within, 50 meters and not the 120 that was mentioned in the OP. That was distressing. Couldn't even get close enough till he started his final approach to the station, even than I just barely made it.

Could not in any way get the Mjolnir to bail. I tried for two hours. Then I read it's a common problem and that there's another ship later that's even more difficult to cap. No thank you. It's missions like that which really push players away from games. I've decided to completely abandon this plot, just not worth the aggravation. Dear Mission Designer, learn from this and never do it again please.

J-M v2.5.5
x3tc

Post by J-M v2.5.5 » Tue, 24. Jan 12, 04:08

It took me a very long time to get the ATF Mjollnir pilot to bail, but I had way more difficulty in capturing the ATF Fenrir (the other ship you are referring to).
I lost count of the amount of reloads it took me, but it's definitely worth it. The ATF Fenrir is hands down the best heavy fighter in the game.

I can really recommend you try to get that one, at least. If you're not patient enough however, just install a cheat script and spawn it or something.
kylania wrote:It's missions like that which really push players away from games.
Before you're able to even begin the Balance of Power plot, you must have completed like... four or so other plots. Generally, players who leave this game because they're scared away by the learning curve or because they're simplistic console babbies who don't have the brain capacity to think about what they should do next, won't even get near the Balance of Power plot, let alone the part where you can capture the ATF Mjollnir.
We need you to take a look around in Ocracoke's Storm.
We need you to take a look around in Ocracoke's Storm.

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 17:23

Can't get anywhere close to scanning the Valkyrie, 23% and it's 20km away in the next sector, or a 93% swatted fly smear on my windscreen...

and if it bounces it bounces 2km...
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:
Maybe a fleet of liberated Pirate Ship Super Freighters :roll:

"Priests Dukes Compliments... Here is ship!"
"Teladi now show you how to fight... Ship all yours! Dont kill Teladi!"

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 17:28

whiteraider wrote:Can't get anywhere close to scanning the Valkyrie, 23% and it's 20km away in the next sector, or a 93% swatted fly smear on my windscreen...

and if it bounces it bounces 2km...
If your in something really fast (i used a kestrel). you can press shift + F to match speed with it.

kylania
x4

Post by kylania » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 17:33

Yup, just head to the station in the last Unknown Sector and wait below it's docking area. The Valk will approach and slowly start flying up under the station. You should have just enough time to Autopilot approach then match speeds and slowly increase manual speed till you're within 50m, then match speed again and wait.

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Wed, 25. Jan 12, 17:52

kylania wrote:Yup, just head to the station in the last Unknown Sector and wait below it's docking area. The Valk will approach and slowly start flying up under the station. You should have just enough time to Autopilot approach then match speeds and slowly increase manual speed till you're within 50m, then match speed again and wait.
Finally got this done, as matching speed anywhere esle seems to trigger it's collision avoidance/ram PC ship routines (for me)
Bring back the TS Pirate Ship, I miss my liberated fleet runing around the universe :twisted:

whiteraider
x3tc

Post by whiteraider » Thu, 26. Jan 12, 21:09

:lol:
I'm hating this plot line...

Capture this M4, & this M3 anywhere in these 3 sectors that have a SOLID line of pirates from 1 station to the other...

Best I've got so far is "Give Split a chance!", followed a Split suicide by missile...

4 hours and a new joystick later... I'm off to get a Mamba Raider...
Having tried a Panther, Nova Raider, Springblossom, & a Spitfyre!

(Killing the 2 targets & not getting them to RE later is dead easy)

P.S. 3 more hours of failure with a Mamba... Baracuda next with a few IonDs...

Lorric
x3tc

Post by Lorric » Wed, 8. Feb 12, 22:45

One issue I had with the scabbard docking at the ATF Research station was that it approached, turned away and approached again, only to turn away again, continuously. Annoying. I moved myself from my Panther to an M3, and the Scabbard docked without issue. Strange. Once it had docked, I moved back into the Panther and killed everything.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sun, 12. Feb 12, 21:30

I had the docking problem.
If you can't swap ships.just go to another sector until it is docked.

Thanks for the guide.
Completed this plot for first time ,this evening. :oops:

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 18:22

J-M v2.5.5 wrote:It took me a very long time to get the ATF Mjollnir pilot to bail, but I had way more difficulty in capturing the ATF Fenrir (the other ship you are referring to).
I lost count of the amount of reloads it took me, but it's definitely worth it. The ATF Fenrir is hands down the best heavy fighter in the game.

I can really recommend you try to get that one, at least. If you're not patient enough however, just install a cheat script and spawn it or something.
kylania wrote:It's missions like that which really push players away from games.
Before you're able to even begin the Balance of Power plot, you must have completed like... four or so other plots. Generally, players who leave this game because they're scared away by the learning curve or because they're simplistic console babbies who don't have the brain capacity to think about what they should do next, won't even get near the Balance of Power plot, let alone the part where you can capture the ATF Mjollnir.
Ok I finaly caped the Mjollnir but where does the Fenrir come in I went straight to the scabbard mission?
Attention: All of your ships are under attack

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 18:33

Later. The mission following the Mjollnir capping is indeed a mission involving a Scabbard.

And I do not believe that you must remain as close as 50m when scanning the Valkyrie.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Struggling with a plotline? Spike's Walkthroughs are your answer!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Tue, 20. Mar 12, 19:03

Thanks for the info. Some of the earlyer posts seamed to indicate something compleatly different.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Fri, 23. Mar 12, 18:18

Say when you say cap a TYR do you mean like you would an m3 (I did not know that was posible) or do you mean using a boarding Party?

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Fri, 23. Mar 12, 22:26

Using a boarding party. It is not possible to cap Capital-class ships (Corvette or larger) by just shooting them.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

Whether you're building your first factory or a trading empire, this station management guide was made just for you.

DJC
x4

Post by DJC » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 15:06

Ok I was able to cap the Fenrir but I can't get the pilot of the Mjollnir to even respond. I CAPed the Fenrir with my spitfire saved and got the attention of the Mjollnir with a shot so he would stay in system. Then I swiched into my enhanced Jaguar ( the ship I CAPed it with the first time) and started my persuit but I get no responce from the pilot. I even got the hull to 0 without destroying it but nothing. Is it posible that I set up the out come by swiching ships after I attacked the Mjollnir? I know this is hard and could take a long time But the pilot not responding to my attack is Odd. Anyone have a sugestion?

Spychotic
x3tc

Post by Spychotic » Mon, 2. Apr 12, 17:48

Just use the Spitfyre to cap it. If you are worried about overkill, then switch off some of the guns by deselecting them from the weapon group.

Spike
Check out the X3 Wiki!

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Mon, 2. Apr 12, 17:57

Tangential to main topic:

- Who wrote Balance of Power? It is my favorite of the vanilla plots. Too bad it does not happen earlier in the game. But it does make for a nice finale.

- Who operates the X3 Wiki (linked in your sig)? I have some thoughts for stuff that should be in a wiki rather than a forum, but would like "permission" before I post a bunch of stuff on somebody else's wiki. (I do have an account there, but cannot find contact info for the owner(s).) :)

IdlePit
x4

Post by IdlePit » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 00:38

Do you get the 2 blueprints even if you dont already have your PHQ ? im on the last part of this plot and i have recaptured both the fighters but i dont have my PHQ yet should i wait before returning to nathan's voyage or will i still get the blueprints given to me for when i get my PHQ ?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 00:42

The blueprints will appear in the PHQ as soon as you build it, if you've completed that mission. No need to wait. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

IdlePit
x4

Post by IdlePit » Sat, 14. Apr 12, 00:54

ok thanks :D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”