[MOD] Enhanced Tracking (TC)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

F.A.B.

[MOD] Enhanced Tracking (TC)

Post by F.A.B. » Thu, 5. Jan 12, 16:45

time to publish another goody... this mod enhances the number of objects (in scanner range) that will be displayed on the hud. although it reduces the number of neutral/friendly ships and stations a little, it noticeably increases the number of enemy ships, mines, containers, incoming missiles/torpedos and asteroids to give the player an better overview over(/of?) the surrounding and the current situation.
the aim was to provide all the information the player needs, or could need, without clogging the display with needless data (feel free to adjust to your liking). you will see that with this modification it is quite easy to follow enemy movements, safely navigate through an asteroid field or pick up containers. i use this mod for over a year now and i can't imagine playing without it.

to adjust the tracking or merge this mod with one that also uses the Globals.txt, simply extract the file/both files and open it/them with the windows text editor. look for...

Code: Select all

// 101
SG_TRACKER_NUM_SHIP;10;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_PLSHIP;16;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_ENEMYSHIP;8;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_HUGESHIP;10;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_HUGEPLSHIP;10;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_HUGEENEMYSHIP;8;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_STATION;8;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_MINES;4;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_BEACON;2;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_CONTAINER;2;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_INMISSILE;2;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_CIVILIAN;2;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_GATES;16;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_ASTEROIDS;3;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_OTHER;3;
...at the end of the file and change the values to somthing you think feels right or just copy the whole text, in case you want to merge. save the file and re-add it to the mod/fakepatch. you can also try this for AP, as i'm sure its Globals.txt has the same or at least similar values.
anyone who wants to adapt this mod for AP and release it is free to do so, but i would also be happy to provide the download link (with credits) in this topic!

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License
Last edited by F.A.B. on Sat, 7. Jan 12, 16:29, edited 3 times in total.
best,
F.A.B.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 5. Jan 12, 17:06

I like the sound of it, but has it been tested in AP yet?
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Thu, 5. Jan 12, 17:30

i don't know, sry. i don't have AP and can't therefore test it myself. i can't even tell whether AP uses this file.

edit: request withdrawn!
Last edited by F.A.B. on Fri, 6. Jan 12, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
best,
F.A.B.

Sir Warwick
x4

Post by Sir Warwick » Thu, 5. Jan 12, 18:40

Cheers - sounds good :thumb_up:

AP does have a globals.txt file - I think it gained a few extra entries for some general missile class stats.

I'll have a look later to see what you have actually changed to see if I can find the same in AP and maybe merge them.

(Busy with a mod Im doing at the mo... ;))

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 5. Jan 12, 22:36

F.A.B. wrote:...if someone could "provide" me with the file AP uses, i could easily make those adaptations for AP too.
Anyone providing you with files from a game you don't own would be in breach of their licence agreement, so please don't ask them to.

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Fri, 6. Jan 12, 01:12

my bad.
Spoiler
Show
although i knew that i just thought it is kinda insane to support a game (and a company) for years, by adding extra flavor and providing new content to keep it fresh, and not beeing allowed to make an adaption of a mod for an add-on of that game, because the person(s) who would make a file from said add-on, of which i don't have a copy of myself, available to me would violate the EULA. even if i could just download a mod that contains this file right here in the forum and even though EULAs are void by german law (in germany).
won't happen again.

Sir Warwick wrote:I'll have a look later to see what you have actually changed to see if I can find the same in AP and maybe merge them.
would appreciate that.
best,
F.A.B.

SyncViews
x3tc

Post by SyncViews » Fri, 6. Jan 12, 02:02

It is fairly trivial for people to make the changes they wish to once they have the file in question, even people with no modding or other relevant expierence (e.g. changing "SG_TRACKER_NUM_ENEMYSHIP;8;" to "SG_TRACKER_NUM_ENEMYSHIP;32;").

Of course full on tools like the mod manager and x3 edtior are not so easy to use, so perhaps a simple tool to locate and extract the globals.pck and place it in the types folder, and some simple instructions/documentation for editing it?

F.A.B.

Post by F.A.B. » Sat, 7. Jan 12, 16:53

well, there are already plenty tutorials and how-to's linked in the stikies and the x3e2 is really easy to use, so i think even people with no modding experience won't have problems to do these adjustments themself. however, i wrote at least a little guide to get you started.
best,
F.A.B.

crusader58

Post by crusader58 » Thu, 16. Feb 12, 13:13

AP has the same entries in the Globals.txt for these settings, so there should be no problem with merging them.

Here are the entries in AP Globals:-

// 99
SG_TRACKER_NUM_SHIP;10;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_PLSHIP;16;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_ENEMYSHIP;8;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_HUGESHIP;10;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_HUGEPLSHIP;10;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_HUGEENEMYSHIP;8;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_STATION;8;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_MINES;4;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_BEACON;2;
SG_TRACKER_NUM_CONTAINER;2;