[SCR] AI Ship Names v.3

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Flippi
x3tc

[SCR] AI Ship Names v.3

Post by Flippi » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 18:02

Hello Folks.

Today I present you my first script: The AI Ship Names. Every AI capital ship gets an individual name to create a better game atmosphere. The script was planned for the ETNO Chronicles mod and a similar version of it will be implemented there.

Deutsch/English

Install/Uninstall:

To install the script just copy all files to the correct place of your game folder. Script files belong to the scripts folder, text files to the t folder.

To uninstall the AI Ship Names, you have to run the script 'uninstall.plugin.names' and save your game after the signal sound. Then you can delete the files in your scripts folder.

Notes at the Start:

This script will be loaded automatically at the game start or after loading a savegame. Until all ships are renamed, it will take a few minutes. The Yaki are not included because we don't use the Yaki in the ETNO Mod as an independent race. Xenon have a random name generator that creates hexadecimal numbers as names.

Updating:

To update the script from Version 2 to 3, replace the old files with the new ones. Also put the update script into your scripts folder, load your game, save it, leave the game and delete that script again. That's basically it.

Descripton of the script:

This script is comparatively simple. The whole universe will be checked for ships and rename them randomly. It is possible that a name is used by more than one ship but this is extremly rare because there are 199 names for each race. Overall, this script has a library of 1592 names! The list of names is separated for each race and can be used at all shipclasses that can be renamed, so it is possible to find a Heavy Centaur with the name AP Argon One. The type of the ship will be set in brackets after the name. Example: AP Renown (Titan)

The following ship classes will be renamed because they are classified as bigships: M1, M2, M6, M7, M8, TM and TL.

Notes for other developers:
You are allowed to change and use this script in your projects, as long as the ETNO Dev Team will be named as the originally developer. But I think that this is obvious.

Compatibility:

This script only uses the text file 9100 that is not reserved. Page IDs are 31000 - 31007, so I can't register this script.

Shipnames and changes:

Creating a library of estimated 1600 names is not really simple. I have searched almost every site in the Internet related to this topic. If you don't like a Name (because there is some weird stuff), you can replace it. If you want a bigger list of names, add the name in the list of the race you want to expand. Then you must increase the Number at index 0 with the amount of new names you have added. Normally at Index 0 stands 200 for 199 names. If you add two new names, there are now 201 names and at index 0 have to stand 202.

Credits:

This is my first script and I'm not a good scripter. But I have got much support from some ETNO Devs: Striker304, Reacecor and ScRaT_Ger had a big influence on this work and helped me developing this Script.

Downloads:

AI Shipnames v.3

AI Shipnames update script (only use if you had v2 installed!)

Complains, suggestions and critism are welcome :D.

Greetings Flippi
Last edited by Flippi on Thu, 19. Aug 21, 16:53, edited 13 times in total.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 19:13

Nice job Flippi. Small enhancements like this really add to immersion.

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 19:31

What do the initials in front of the ships name mean? Like FP or SW or AP etc etc.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 20:12

Oh, I forgot something :roll: .

These initials are the shortcuts of the races Main Sector. So AP stands for Argon Prime, PP for Paranid Prime, SW for Seizewell, KE for Kingdoms End, FP for Family Pride and so on. This Expression shows which Race are owner of the Ship. It's like USS for american ships, or HMS for british ships.

Some of these initials also were used in X-Novels by Helge Kautz.

Greetings Flippi

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 20:21

Flippi wrote:Oh, I forgot something :roll: .

These initials are the shortcuts of the races Main Sector. So AP stands for Argon Prime, PP for Paranid Prime, SW for Seizewell, KE for Kingdoms End, FP for Family Pride and so on. This Expression shows which Race are owner of the Ship. It's like USS for american ships, or HMS for british ships.

Some of these initials also were used in X-Novels by Helge Kautz.

Greetings Flippi
Ok thanks.

So I assume the script is constantly running? What kind of load does it have on the game?

So far it seems harmless.

Anyhow, thanks again. Its a nice addition to my game.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 20:42

So I assume the script is constantly running? What kind of load does it have on the game?
There will be no big performance losses. I Use this script since a while, and i haven't found any Problems like that. The german version of this script was released in march 2011 and no one have complained about the performance :D.

Greetings Flippi

Taro8
x3tc

Post by Taro8 » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 04:07

Dead links are dead :( .

Can anyone reupload?

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 05:05

*Deleted re-uploaded link pending Flippis approval*

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Fri, 2. Aug 13, 17:31

Dead links are dead Sad .

Can anyone reupload?
I created an alternate download for the normal version. Alternate DL is in the opening post.
*Deleted re-uploaded link pending Flippis approval*
As said in the pm's, I have no problem with an additional download mirror.

Oh, and sorry for the late response :oops: .

Greetings Flippi

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Fri, 6. Jul 18, 16:43

I finally bothered to write Version 3 of this script. The Yaki now get pirate names too. And I also fixed some typos... I think. If you used Version 2, please follow the update guide in the first post.

New players don't need to bother with that and can just install the regular script.

Greetings Flippi

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”