Is there a walkthrough for remote trading?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EncryptedToast

Is there a walkthrough for remote trading?

Post by EncryptedToast » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 15:59

So I am getting bored just running back and forth trading and want to set up another ship to do it while I try other things.

I see bits and pieces about remote trading but most of it is advanced stuff. is there a "Remote Trading Guide" for begginers somewhere?

So far I have tried to just manually issue the commands to my Mercury and I can't tell if its working or not....

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:03

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:07

Sinxar wrote:Check this thread (its listed in the stickies) specifically part 5.
I have watched that entire series, and while for the most part it is really good, some parts (like this one) are not at all helpful to a new player like me since he is using cheat scripts (whatever that is)

EDIT:
I just watched that video again and it does answer some questions so thanks for that. I can see how to order ships to do things.

What I am still not clear on is, can this be automated? I.e. I see some options for that in the command menu but do not understand them. Is there a way to tell a ship to:

Go to Sector X
Buy X amount of Y
Go to Sector Z
Sell X amount of Y
repeat
Last edited by EncryptedToast on Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:21

EncryptedToast wrote:
Sinxar wrote:Check this thread (its listed in the stickies) specifically part 5.
I have watched that entire series, and while for the most part it is really good, some parts (like this one) are not at all helpful to a new player like me since he is using cheat scripts (whatever that is)
So you didn't watch it? It tells you how to remote trade manually. somewhere around 10 mins into the vid. If the easy way of learning about it doesn't appeal to you, you can check the stickies for more trading guides. I'm pretty sure there are some that explain how to do it.

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:23

Sinxar wrote:
EncryptedToast wrote:
So you didn't watch it? It tells you how to remote trade manually. somewhere around 10 mins into the vid. If the easy way of learning about it doesn't appeal to you, you can check the stickies for more trading guides. I'm pretty sure there are some that explain how to do it.
Well I edited my post about the same time you posted.

But I still think it's not all that helpful to call something a walkthrough while using cheats. I am not interested in cheating.

Sinxar
x4

Post by Sinxar » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:30

Ok i see what u mean. but yea he does it for good reason though. because who wants to trade and progress normally when the point is to show players how to do certain things. Such as giving yourself money to buy a second freighter to demonstrate how to remote trade. Or giving yourself maxed marines to show the person how to board a ship.

Do you want to watch him trade with the starting freighter for 2 days? or wait a few weeks for marines to train just to show you how to board a ship? No, it doesn't make sense to do that.

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:33

Sinxar wrote: Do you want to watch him trade with the starting freighter for 2 days? or wait a few weeks for marines to train just to show you how to board a ship? No, it doesn't make sense to do that.
Well no, that would be dumb. But video editing would make it watchable.

And the fact remains that unless I choose to cheat then I am going to have to trade with the starting freighter for 2 days, no?

I guess what I am looking for is the most efficient way to advance without cheating.

Threesixtyci
x4

Post by Threesixtyci » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 16:39

Buy a Mk3 trade upgrade (costs 501k; most Teladi Equipment Docks sell it), and some Nav software (might need something else, I don't remember; I usually just buy everything in case I need to jump into it.)

Then activate Sector Trader and select a sector that has a solar plant and factories that use E-cells (in that they aren't stalled, because they lack another resource that can't be acquired in the same sector). Ore Belt is safe bet, as is Power Circle. Let it level up to at least 6. Then reactivate it and give it a jump range (it wont' use jump drives until level 12, I think; or is it 10?). Repeat every 2 level ups (if you wanna) to increasing it's jump range. Then at 12 or higher activate Universe Trader. Or just keep increasing the range to your liking and keeping it leashed to it's home sector (it'll likely live longer, if you do.)

Max level for sector trader is 20. Max level for Universe Trader is 25.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 22:09

EncryptedToast wrote:
Sinxar wrote: Do you want to watch him trade with the starting freighter for 2 days? or wait a few weeks for marines to train just to show you how to board a ship? No, it doesn't make sense to do that.
Well no, that would be dumb. But video editing would make it watchable.

And the fact remains that unless I choose to cheat then I am going to have to trade with the starting freighter for 2 days, no?

I guess what I am looking for is the most efficient way to advance without cheating.
The cheats he uses in no way degrade the validity of the methods being taught in those videos. The cheats just allow him to quickly set up a demonstration of a particular topic. The methods and commands being used in the demo are all available in vanilla play.

Remote Trading is very easy, once you get the hang of it. There are two primary ways to go about it:

1) Use Best Buy/Best Sell software.

Outfit a ship with Best Buy/Best Sell software, Trade Extension and, perhaps, special command software. Also, outfit your own ship with the same software. (Won't work, otherwise.) Then, send the remote ship to a sector and, using its menu, click Advanced/Best Buy to see a list of best prices for available wares in that sector. Choose one, buy some, then click Advanced/Best Sell to see who is willing to pay the best price, in that Sector. If none meet with what you consider a fair/profitable price, command your ship to go to another sector and run the Best Sell command again. (This is best used in conjunction with good knowledge of the sectors you are trading in as well as a decent satellite network that you can check when necessary. If you have Best Buy/Best Sell software installed in your player ship, you can run those commands through your satellites for the sectors they are in.)

2) Remote Best Buy, Remote Best Sell

This is a bit different. Here, you click Command/Trade/Remote Best Buy and then choose an item on the list of wares that are produced or used in the sector the ship is in or happen to be on board that ship. Then, you input a jump limit. The ship will then automatically travel to the best location within the noted jump distance and buy all the wares of the type specified that are available at the best selling price. However, it will not update its choice, so it may bypass a station that has recently lowered its pricing on a desired item. And, unlike Best Buy/Best Sell software (using manually Best Buy/Best Sell commands under the Advanced menu) you can not tell the ship how many to buy or sell nor choose a price. It will fill its cargo, if possible, at the nearest stop with the best price for the item. The same goes for Remote Best Sell - It will choose a buyer, fly to that buyer and sell as much as that buyer will buy, even though another buyer might raise their limits.

By far, choice #1 is the best way to get the most out of your efforts. But, it also takes a bit more knowledge of the local trading areas and industries in order to maximize your returns.

I would always suggest starting out with #1, then outfitting your remotely guided ship with Trader Mk3 software and setting them to Sector Trading and then Local Trading on their own. After that, you can set them up for Universe Trading, keep them at the Sector level or just do enough UT for them to reach level 25 and bring them back down to ST. I only use Remote Best Buy to collect needed weapons and missiles when outfitting ships as I don't care what I'm paying at that point. Otherwise, it would be manual Best Buy/Best Sell all the way. (MORT)

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 22:58

EncryptedToast wrote: Go to Sector X
Buy X amount of Y
Go to Sector Z
Sell X amount of Y
repeat
Depends on which game you're playing.

If this is TC the the Manual trade run command will do that. You need the trading system installed on the TS to have access to it (and you'll want a trading system extension installed on your ship as well, as that allows you to see prices and trade with stations in the sector the TS is in).

Trade Command Software MK1 will also give you Manual Trade:Buy... and Manual Trade: Sell... commands in case you only want to do half of it (most TSs come with that software built in).
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 00:02

Morkonan wrote:

Outfit a ship with Best Buy/Best Sell software, Trade Extension and, perhaps, special command software. Also, outfit your own ship with the same software. (Won't work, otherwise.) Then, send the remote ship to a sector and, using its menu, click Advanced/Best Buy to see a list of best prices for available wares in that sector. Choose one, buy some, then click Advanced/Best Sell to see who is willing to pay the best price, in that Sector. If none meet with what you consider a fair/profitable price, command your ship to go to another sector and run the Best Sell command again. (This is best used in conjunction with good knowledge of the sectors you are trading in as well as a decent satellite network that you can check when necessary. If you have Best Buy/Best Sell software installed in your player ship, you can run those commands through your satellites for the sectors they are in.)
Ok I am trying this. I have the upgrades you suggested in both ships:

Best Buy/Best Sell software, Trade Extension

I open the command menu for the my remote ship and I dont see Advanced/Best Sell. These are my options:

1. Manual Trade Run
2. Remote Best Buy
3. Remote Best Sell

4. Manual Trade: Buy
5. Manual Trade: Sell

6 and 7 are greyed out.

Am I missing an upgrade somewhere?

Thanks

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 00:08

6 and 7 are for use when they are homebased to your factory.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

Meum

Post by Meum » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 00:33

I recently started the Humble Merchant and here's how I played it. I did quite a bit of trading with my own ship to pad my account and then hopped into a discoverer. I had a bash at the remote best buy/best sell function and found that a. I confuse easily and b. it's almost as much effort as manually trading with my own ship. So I just docked my Mercury and ran missions till I had the rep/credits for trading MK3. I installed that and now I can just automate my trading while I get my pew pew on.

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 00:54

Meum wrote:I recently started the Humble Merchant and here's how I played it. I did quite a bit of trading with my own ship to pad my account and then hopped into a discoverer. I had a bash at the remote best buy/best sell function and found that a. I confuse easily and b. it's almost as much effort as manually trading with my own ship. So I just docked my Mercury and ran missions till I had the rep/credits for trading MK3. I installed that and now I can just automate my trading while I get my pew pew on.
That is exactly what I am hoping for; maybe I need to just keep running this mercury around? I only have about 100k anyway.

lasserith
x4

Post by lasserith » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 01:02

Get in good with the argon (just enough to get the war mission) and you can then buy the trade MK3 factory from terracorp HQ just south of argon prime.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 01:43

EncryptedToast wrote:
Morkonan wrote:

Ok I am trying this. I have the upgrades you suggested in both ships:

Best Buy/Best Sell software, Trade Extension

I open the command menu for the my remote ship and I dont see Advanced/Best Sell. These are my options:

1. Manual Trade Run
2. Remote Best Buy
3. Remote Best Sell

4. Manual Trade: Buy
5. Manual Trade: Sell

6 and 7 are greyed out.

Am I missing an upgrade somewhere?

Thanks
You've gone one step too far into the menu tree. From the little menu where you usually hit "c" to enter the command menu, hit 5 or 6 instead.

Screenshot of the menu, for clarity: http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l64 ... uysell.jpg

Also, if you have an advanced satellite in the sector, they've got best buy/sell software installed by default. So as long as you have Best Buy/Sell on your own playership, you can open the adv sat's menu in any sector and get a review of best deals/prices in that sector.

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 22:10

Bit of an update here:

Thanks to the helpful replies I am up and running! I have two Mercuruys running around like busy little bees and I am using the MORT method. IT suits me right now as I am still learning the game and rather enjoy having my ships talk to me. :D Although once my trading empire starts growing I can imagine it becoming too bothersome for manual effort.

Anyhoo, it all makes sense now and I am starting to wonder "Is there anything worth trading besides energy?" Have tried a few things and I usually just lose money, that is a work in progress.

I have noticed a few wierd things:

- when one of my haulers is issued a command to buy or sell and the Quantity dialog pops up, I see some latency if I enter the same number. i.e. if I want to purchase 4,000 energy cells I can't just type 4-0-0-0

Well I can, but if I do I have to hit each ZERO about 3 times. Hard to explain but normally when I type the number 4000 it happens quickly. But the only way I can get this dialog to recognize that number is like this

4 *pause* 0 *pause* 0 *pause* 0 *pause* 0

Oddly enough if I type 4321 it enters them right away. :?:

Also I am about to start dabbling with the Best Buy.... Best Sell commands and am wondering, is there any logging of transactions? I.e if I tell a hauler to find the best price for say Energy and it goes off and buys it, will I see logs of that anywhere?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 23:08

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 4. Jan 12, 23:14

EncryptedToast wrote:...But the only way I can get this dialog to recognize that number is like this

4 *pause* 0 *pause* 0 *pause* 0 *pause* 0

Oddly enough if I type 4321 it enters them right away. :?:
That's part of key delay built into the system to keep it from being spammed by repetitive keystrokes. If you don't want to wait, just put in 401010 and avoid repeated keys. But, it's really no big deal as that's not usually a screen in which you're in a hurry or need terrible accuracy. (Generally, I just fill up the hold, anyway. So, just tell the ship to dock there, straight off, instead of telling it to "Buy" and then having to enter an amount.)
Also I am about to start dabbling with the Best Buy.... Best Sell commands and am wondering, is there any logging of transactions? I.e if I tell a hauler to find the best price for say Energy and it goes off and buys it, will I see logs of that anywhere?
Not that I know of. If it was a CLS/CAG pilot, you could get reports from it. But, for a player run scripted ship, I don't think you can.

EncryptedToast

Post by EncryptedToast » Thu, 5. Jan 12, 14:47

Morkonan wrote:
That's part of key delay built into the system to keep it from being spammed by repetitive keystrokes. If you don't want to wait, just put in 401010 and avoid repeated keys. But, it's really no big deal as that's not usually a screen in which you're in a hurry or need terrible accuracy. (Generally, I just fill up the hold, anyway. So, just tell the ship to dock there, straight off, instead of telling it to "Buy" and then having to enter an amount.)
Ok so it's not just me! As far as filling up the hold, are you saying that all I have to do is tell the hauler to dock and it will automatically buy as many as it can hold?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”