LT. Clouds.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

David Howland
x3tc

LT. Clouds.

Post by David Howland » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 11:52

I feel odd asking advice on these points, as I have as much practical experience as anyone using LT. clouds against the Xenon but I have no tech. knowledge of the game so:-
1. I have had LT.clouds in many Xenon sectors for years now and have been puzzled by how against certain gates the cloud stays tightly packed but in others they spread fairly quickly? This does not seem determined by sector type or the amount of traffic passing through. For instance two similar sectors; the one east of TUS3 and 101, both dead end sectors blockaded by my LT clouds at both sides of the single gate with no trade traffic, yet in TUS3 Xenon sector the LT.s have spread over a third of the sector and in 101 they remain in three tight groups in front of the gate where I dumped them no matter how many I add, I dump a hundred at a time by the way.
2. To say the Xenon have presumably an even, robotic attitude to threats in their sectors, they certainly go to great migration efforts to maintain security throughout their sectors, they have very different levels of response to my clouds? In 472 for example I had to give up the internal clouds becase they were destroyed faster than all my 6 production complexes could produce them, however in 598 near their core sector and the only sector I maintain three clouds in, I maintain them no sweat!
Any views welcome, especially those that can reduce my puzzled ignorance on these two areas of intrigue!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 12:01

The first thing that springs to mind David, and I'm sure it's occurred to you already, being an X universe veteran, is that your LTs are being dumped whilst OOS, and you are then moving IS (in the case of TUS3), forcing the LTs to disperse quite widely. I remember from my own days of trying to blockade the Xenon gates using LTs that this happened quite frequently, with a great many of the LTs ending up behind the gate, or so far away from it that they no longer had any practical use.

Other than that, I'm sorry to say I have no idea :(

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 13:28

Aye as pointed out, this is collision avoidance at work.

From my experiments with laser towers, I find that if I could enter the sector once without them... Dispersing all over the place. They were then stable and would stay like that. More or less!

As for what causes them to disperse or not disperse I am honestly not sure.
I'm pretty sure having them near objects causes them to disperse. So like dumping a bunch near a gate then jumping in will be more likely spread them all over the place.

I did find once when playing with Gazz's ring of fire script (places a nice neat ring around a gate). That if I jumped into the sector thru the gate they were clustered around they dispersed. But if I jumped into the sector from another gate they didn't. My own ship was causing collision avoidance to kick in.
I also found the presense of big ships near them or the gate they were near caused them to disperse when I jumped in.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 27. Oct 11, 13:35

I agree that if any target ship was close enough to a group of your LTs at the time that you came IS then even a group that is otherwise stable IS might be dispersed due to collision avoidance with the target ship as you jump in.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

David Howland
x3tc

Thanks All!

Post by David Howland » Sun, 30. Oct 11, 09:35

Thank you gentlemen for your views, no doubt correct!
I had hoped for some more exotic explanation, for the differences of behaviour of LTs in apparently similar sectors but it is reassuring that after 18 months of observation I have not been missing something!
Although I personally start the setting-up of all my clouds and return for various reasons to all, from time to time, both the Xenon and I send less ships into the cloud in 101 than in east of TUS3!
Now that I have opened these intrigues to the consideration of the forum expertise, the mystery has somewhat lessened and I will not have to ponder on it as much, in the future, thanks again!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”