Space Factory animation

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

Space Factory animation

Post by Observe » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 17:26

I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm curious about the section toward the end (2:21) of this video (YouTube) there is a section titled "X-Rebirth Animation concepts space stations". I don't know the source of that concept video, whether it is supplied by Egosoft or added on by someone else.

It'll certainly be very impressive if stations do indeed have the level of animation demonstrated.

In addition to the YouTube link, you can view/download just the animation concepts section which I extracted from the larger video.

Note: My extracted video is ~65 meg size and unlike YouTube is not streaming.

I'll be interested to hear your comments. :)
Last edited by Observe on Wed, 12. Oct 11, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

stabile007
x4

Post by stabile007 » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 17:37

I hope so I think that would be awesome and it will add life to the universe.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 21:21

Looks good, but I'd initially assume this is a very much improved
version of the simplistic X3 cargo-box conga-line animations you see on several stations.

Albeit with :
1 much greater model detail
2 much greater render quality
3 much greater variation of fixed repeating scenes

Reckon it might add significantly to the immersion if you do fly-bys,
or manual docking.

However it could be seen as something like the fixed internal factory
docking scene animations in (?)XTension.
Really nice first few times but never extended.
(Although I really did like those old animations).

Assuming they aren't algorithmic in some sense, which would be even better.

btw couldn't wait for your wmv download - far too slow, sorry.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Wed, 12. Oct 11, 21:35

i think those shots are of drone control. flying a drone around inside a station. it has been said this is possible and that there will be interaction points. I think this is gameplay footage rather than a cinematic.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

Saber15
x4

Post by Saber15 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:33

dougeye wrote:i think those shots are of drone control. flying a drone around inside a station. it has been said this is possible and that there will be interaction points. I think this is gameplay footage rather than a cinematic.
I'd say that the camera is from a drone; when it flips to the interior with the giant laser beam, you can briefly see a tiny moving shadow as the camera goes inside.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 02:47

Flying a tiny drone inside a station to blow it up would be pretty awesome.

Like playing R type in 3d and you get to blow up the station at the end.

It's like a minigame, only actually good and useful.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 03:06

Just hope the AI can't do it to us too! lol.

Actually, if we can do it I hope the AI can too...though I also hope for countermeasures! Having armed drones patrolling the inside of your factories anyone?

Scoob.

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 04:55

Drons blowing up the station from inside ? crazy idea but I like it :)
It would add something new and quite interesting, sabotage drones aka silent assassins. And those factory lines are amazing, I hope they will all not look the same ... some variety would be good here.
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 10:24

Hi,

I guess there will be an "Ore" production line animation, this would likely cover Silicon and other asteroid material too if such exist.

Next I'd expect a "food" and "processed food" production line that'll be the same but with the initial crop maybe looking different in the "fields"

Finally there would be the high-end goods and weapons...the more variety here the better, though I can see a lot of potenial effort going in to distinguish things (while nice) isn't added features...just nicely padding the game out. I do really like a high level of detail like this, though knowing how small Egosofts dev team is I wonder how much time they can have really invested in making the different food, mineral & production lines different graphically. Though from what I've seen so far the detail is impressive.

Oh yeah, also - that video...sooo much stuff I'd not seen before! Very nice.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Donsja
x3tc

Post by Donsja » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 12:15

Wow it really would add interesting gameplay if we are able to attack a station from the inside :D Now i can actually see a point with the drones :)

But the music... i really hope thats not a "rebirth" as well. Would hate to have to turn it off. Im really hoping for some sort of ambient kind of music! :shock:

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 16:25

Donsja wrote:Wow it really would add interesting gameplay if we are able to attack a station from the inside :D Now i can actually see a point with the drones :)

But the music... i really hope thats not a "rebirth" as well. Would hate to have to turn it off. Im really hoping for some sort of ambient kind of music! :shock:
They already confirmed you can go inside stations as drones to disable key parts of the station, from probably production, shielding, weapons, power distribution and things that are modular.

However you can't go inside them as a drone and blow them up, just disable parts of them. It also won't be easy as stations have turrets, shielding and probably scanners to stop things like this. So the type of drone you use (5 confirmed so far, including a stealth drone) will heavily effect the job.

Also yes stations will have animated parts, this is confirmed as well. you can view the station process everything from the outside or inside. each station and modular part will react different depending how you build each station.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 16:39

the-danzorz wrote:
Donsja wrote:Wow it really would add interesting gameplay if we are able to attack a station from the inside :D Now i can actually see a point with the drones :)

They already confirmed you can go inside stations as drones to disable key parts of the station, from probably production, shielding, weapons, power distribution and things that are modular.

However you can't go inside them as a drone and blow them up, just disable parts of them. It also won't be easy as stations have turrets, shielding and probably scanners to stop things like this. So the type of drone you use (5 confirmed so far, including a stealth drone) will heavily effect the job.

Also yes stations will have animated parts, this is confirmed as well. you can view the station process everything from the outside or inside. each station and modular part will react different depending how you build each station.
Then blow up a little bit of them. I don't care how much as long as it's useful and something blows up somewhere.

the-danzorz
x3tc

Post by the-danzorz » Thu, 13. Oct 11, 16:53

Chris0132 wrote:
the-danzorz wrote:

Then blow up a little bit of them. I don't care how much as long as it's useful and something blows up somewhere.
Yeah things will defiantly blow up, probably also have cooler exsplotion effects too.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Fri, 14. Oct 11, 03:17

And if drones don't actually blow stuff up, make it they can disable,forever, the factory manager and workers (kidnapping / bribing in option).
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Mike2988
xr

Post by Mike2988 » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 04:26

what i didn't see in tc is that no one is selling their station only ships it would be nice that npc will construct and sell the station on their own and not with the help of the player only if they pay the player like other x series

and the idea with animations for the factory's i like it but with the option to disable the animation in the game some examples ar ore mine silicon mine and other weapons factory's which many player mostly use

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 06:02

Mike2988 wrote:what i didn't see in tc is that no one is selling their station only ships it would be nice that npc will construct and sell the station on their own and not with the help of the player only if they pay the player like other x series
Not quite sure what you mean there. It is my understanding the player can have as much (or little) involvement in the details of constructions as he/she wants.
Mike2988 wrote:and the idea with animations for the factory's i like it but with the option to disable the animation in the game some examples ar ore mine silicon mine and other weapons factory's which many player mostly use
Why would you want to disable the animation? Besides, likely not possible without modifying the station model animation in 3DS Max (or the text file if any). Possibly something for modders later on if there is good reason.

I apologize if I misread your post and if I answered in the wrong direction.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 06:14

I'm guessing the low LOD models for stations will remove moving polygons to save performance.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Mike2988
xr

Post by Mike2988 » Sun, 16. Oct 11, 13:40

disabling animations for space stations improves performance for some players with slower pc`s

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”