(warning for egosoft) Some one stole nebulas from X3 for there game !

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 2. Sep 11, 23:02

The-Last-Communist wrote:the first one looks like the same meshes from the centaur in X3 ! ... OMG!
Yes,very recognizable.

I quite like the pic linked there of the Caldari Rokh
...the full pic ,without the other blurb.

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/wb/c/ ... 42-050.jpg

Infact, I would not mind having it as my own personal M1 or M2 , say with about 50 hangers for M3s/M3+
Last edited by TTD on Fri, 2. Sep 11, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Fri, 2. Sep 11, 23:04

this is just bad...
this must be against the law
Splits , for the better things in life...

sjones25
x3tc

Post by sjones25 » Fri, 2. Sep 11, 23:07

While Egosoft's nebulas may be based on pictures of real-life nebulas, if they put any work into editing them at all, then those edited images are certainly Egosoft's property.

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Fri, 2. Sep 11, 23:09

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Fri, 2. Sep 11, 23:22

sjones25 wrote:While Egosoft's nebulas may be based on pictures of real-life nebulas, if they put any work into editing them at all, then those edited images are certainly Egosoft's property.
I completely agree with you :)
I realy hate this copie cats... shameful

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 02:39

God the trailer looked awful :\

I see they use gates as well >.<

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 02:51

If someone can copyright a nebula then, oh dear....

Face it in any game with decent graphics nebula are gonna look similar.

GrahamSimmons
x4

Post by GrahamSimmons » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 03:26

InFlamesForEver wrote:If someone can copyright a nebula then, oh dear....

Face it in any game with decent graphics nebula are gonna look similar.
see

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 76#3675176

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 05:13

I think the nebula is not the legal problem,but some of the ships might be.

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 09:24

I do agree the ships are more obvious
it just got me angry that someone is steeling content from the best space games and converting ships and stuff for theme self

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 10:02

The-Last-Communist wrote:I do agree the ships are more obvious
it just got me angry that someone is steeling content from the best space games and converting ships and stuff for theme self
Much like those X3 mods that include Star Wars/Babylon5/etc.. ships you mean? :roll:

GrahamSimmons
x4

Post by GrahamSimmons » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 10:40

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:
Much like those X3 mods that include Star Wars/Babylon5/etc.. ships you mean? :roll:
There's a BIG difference between a mod and a full game. Mods are somewhat protected under copyright law - basically you can use whatever you want except if the owner of material asks you not to. When it comes to releasing a full game (especially for profit) you are expressly forbidden from using anybody else's assets which would include both nebulae and ship models.

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 14:53

and mods steel sometimes but its for free...
but they are making profit out of thievery.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 15:32

GrahamSimmons wrote:
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:
There's a BIG difference between a mod and a full game. Mods are somewhat protected under copyright law - basically you can use whatever you want except if the owner of material asks you not to. When it comes to releasing a full game (especially for profit) you are expressly forbidden from using anybody else's assets which would include both nebulae and ship models.
Mods have no inherent protection under copyright law and you've no special exception to use someone elses material. Most mods exist purely because they're insufficiently popular to show up on the radar of the people that might want to step on them, but there have been plenty of projects over the years that have gained sufficient attention and promptly got stomped into the ground with C&D orders.
The-Last-Communist wrote:and mods steel sometimes but its for free...
but they are making profit out of thievery.
Robin Hood was still a thief.

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 18:02

your right , but they stole from egosoft ! that just sick !
but i do get your point

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 18:22

Hum for some reason I doubt Egosoft would do anything in this case. When I first joint the forum many years back when X2 was launched, I pointed out that it seems Egosoft used ship model from other media in their games. For example, the Starship trooper series. And many people defend (not sure if the staffs were among those or not) with this reason, quote: "There are only so many starship design that you're bounded to see similarity". Of course I called BS on that, but moved on, apparently now someone else think it's actually a good idea.

For example, look at this Rodger Young ship (Yamato class) from starship trooper, do you think it looks awfully similar to a certain ship in X2? :wink:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

You can also notice that the yellow ship in this first picture looks pretty similar to how the TL in X2 looks. I wonder if it was the reason why X3 completely scrap the entire models from X2.

Note: I don't accuse anyone anything here. Just want to provide another perspective for all the people getting high in this topic, what came around comes around, heh? Who know, could be just another round of coincidence when big idea clashes :P

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 18:36

I know about that small inspiration but these guys stole , using the same material as egosoft , I did feel that they where coping back in the days , but I think they did it nicely as it fit there universe and where maid from there own 3d objects... in the case of the ``copie game`` well its just stupid steeling

GrahamSimmons
x4

Post by GrahamSimmons » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 18:41

Yeah there is a difference between inspiration and actually loading up files from X3TC and editing them before putting them back in your own game.

The-Last-Communist

Post by The-Last-Communist » Sat, 3. Sep 11, 22:16

and in X2 all there dessignes where magic ....
I remember the teladi bat (I think) or was it there m4? in X-tension looking like a old cylon raider lol....

enenra
x4

Post by enenra » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 00:23

Why that does look pretty much exactly like the nebulas I've been working with for some years now...

In fact, considering they apparently also have EVE Online models in there (and probably stuff of a bunch of other franchises) there is little doubt that those are indeed the background from X3(TC). And contrary to apparently popular belief those are not simply pictures taken from some telescopes but handcrafted images. Even if they were pictures and "only" adjusted / overpainted that would not mean that they're not Egosoft's property.

Question is whether they're selling that game for money. I haven't found the page where you buy the game / join the game yet so I don't really know. Anyone found out more about it?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”