X Multi-player or close the X universe

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xeonexs
x3

X Multi-player or close the X universe

Post by xeonexs » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 10:39

I love the X Universe, it is the best space game out there by miles.

However making the graphics better or adding new features and ships is not going to keep this game alive forever, like me many of you have been losing interest in playing X as its "Just doing the same old thing, but just rehashed"

Fans of X know how good this game could be, if we could only play it with friends in the same universe, and this is the direction the game devs should be taking.
Games are simply more fun when playing and sharing with friend and this is the direction most new games are taking.
Players including myself don’t want to be stuck in their bedroom by themselves playing a single player game anymore, we miss out on all the fun of sharing the experience.

I have purchased every single X game, but if the devs will not put multiplay in X, then maybe it’s time to end the X universe rather than rehashing the same old thing, because I for one will not be buy anymore X.

The devs say they listen to the fans, well give us what we want before you lose anymore of us.
Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 64

x2 Core 2 EXTREME X9775 3.20Ghz
NVIDIA 280
4 Gb Ram
Creative XFI

Nagittchi
x4

Post by Nagittchi » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 10:45

I for one wish the story would have actually progressed in X3TC. Kind of made me disappoint when you can't even track down Winters and fight him.

If you want X to become a MMO, then that's probably going to be a financial disaster with the current playerbase.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 10:56

I agree Nagittchi! I wanted Winters too, its bloody annoying like a loose thread!!

I also feel multiplayer X would be garbage! From my experience all internet multiplayer games are! Way too many muppets out there!! :wink:

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 11:15

Please see here...

Oh and:
Polls
In case you must have another poll:
The average result of X Multiplayer / Online polls are
Online yes: 41,9 %, Online no: 62,4 %, Don't care: 4,5 % with peaks of 80+ % for as well as against.
I'd say they are listening to the fans there.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 11:30

For the OP:
I've been an adult for a long time. I really don't need someone speaking for me to tell me what I do or do not want in a game. I don't want a multiplayer game so I can beat up my classmates. I will buy a game if it doesn't have multiplayer, and if it does have multiplayer, that feature sets idle. Just saying that everyone wants something because you want something doesn't make it true.

As has been pointed out, players don't want multiplayer 3:2. It's also been stated Egosoft has approached the bean counters to see about adding it, and the answer was no.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 12:05

:gruebel:

I'm just trying to work out why you thought you needed to post this in it's own thread when you have already posted the same comment in the currently active X:Rebirth MMO thread... :gruebel:

Oh and for the record:

NO to MMO!!! (and multiplayer...)

Sp@c3Ch!mp
x3tc

Post by Sp@c3Ch!mp » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 12:12

Yeah making X an mmo is a bad idea. It is hard game to comprehend and I for one like to do things slow until I have the hang of it.
I have no xp in mmo's like eve but I think the player will be forced to follow a group and won't have time to just have fun and do crazy things like fly into a xenon sector underarmed and undershielded and just pick a fight with 10+ fighters and a Q.
Nuke 'em till they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark.

VELLA
x3tc

Post by VELLA » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 13:12

Considering the nature of X games having them as an MMO would make it nearly imposible to play peacefully. There would have to be several different universes for different levels of players or else the billionaire with a fleet of capital ships could just crush the helpless newb whenever the newb attempts to build anything that competes with him, or even deliberately crush newbs just for the lulz (my experience with multiplayer FPS and general human nature online leads me to assume that this would happen, and happen often).

There would be problems with netcode and latency in X universe combat as pretty much all of it is projectile based rather than hitscan, meaning you wouldn't want to play with anyone who is not in your rough geographical area and has a ping of less than 100ms if you don't want to experiences all kinds of screwy hit detection in PvP dogfights.

I do think that PvP dogfighting would be really exhilerating, but it would put the more peaceful players/traders off. The last thing you want in your universe is a Counterstrike pro in a suped-up M3 playing a pirate. I could quite easily see an online X game turn into a space-based twitch shooter.

Then there will be the usual hackers/cheaters, griefers, etc that infest all the other online multiplayers...

Turiko

Post by Turiko » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 13:22

the x games CAN'T work in multiplayer. The entire point of the universe is to offer the player all the opportunities he might need to grow his empire and start setting his own goals. In multiplayer, this either means it's a race (and later a grind for whoever loses the race) or one empire dominating all else.

Either way, multiplayer wouldn't work. Unless you're playing with a real-life friend and you work together. But then again, look at just about any multiplayer game: people take every chance they get to make someone's playtime less fun.

EDIT: g games? :o

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 13:42

Tycow wrote:
Polls
Online yes: 41,9 %, Online no: 62,4 %, Don't care: 4,5 % with peaks of 80+ % for as well as against.
and with that there is a chance that some of the YES votes are not voting for an MMO just multiplayer functionallity and LAN

for the record LAN could be a bad idea!! think about it, someone would come up with a LAN party concept where we will all go and meet up and start a LAN game, 3-4 month later we will emerge to find we no longer have jobs, wifes, families of any sorts, our cars will be at the inpound lots and our bank accounts empty due to the many fast food deliveries we would have had!!

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 13:47

ConCorDian wrote:
Tycow wrote:
Polls
and with that there is a chance that some of the YES votes are not voting for an MMO just multiplayer functionallity and LAN

for the record LAN could be a bad idea!! think about it, someone would come up with a LAN party concept where we will all go and meet up and start a LAN game, 3-4 month later we will emerge to find we no longer have jobs, wifes, families of any sorts, our cars will be at the inpound lots and our bank accounts empty due to the many fast food deliveries we would have had!!
doesn't that already happen thou, just on your own ? :P

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 13:49

Cycrow wrote: doesn't that already happen thou, just on your own ? :P
:oops: Noooooo!!!!

ConCorDian
x3tc

Post by ConCorDian » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 13:50

WIFE SAYS:

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 14:02

:lol:

Retiredman
x3ap

Post by Retiredman » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 14:30

MMO would work, but the logistics would be massive.

Players would need machine that are top notch.
Server would need to police the players. (player can degrade to muppet status)
A ready news system would be available for who is at war with whom.
(this wouldn't include the regular races who war against each other)
A compensation factor when a player blows up another players HQ, factory, ships. (accident or design)
Mediation mods to formulae peace treaties between groups. (Clannish wars)

then the all the different mods that the server would use.

Logistics would be a nightmare.
Add a third player and it might be worse.
:P
You think a hero is some weird sandwitch and not a guy attacking a Xeno J with a kestrel.

Sir.. I said .. A guy attacking a J with a kestrel is the sandwitch.

fairywhipper

Post by fairywhipper » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 14:46

dont want mmo,
if wanted mmo
if mmo i would be jobless, skint and cant afford a good computer as i wouldnt have time, cause X takes a lot of time. playing normal X takes something like 6hrs a day, inbetween work, sleep and social life.(i managed it by shooting the wife and doing time in jail where they leave me in peace!!! to play X :p )
mmo might be good in certain circumstances but think of the overheads such as you leave the game for 10 mins and some one jumps into a system and wasted everything including all your ships and factories. your ship ai attempts to fight back after it takes several burst of IBLs only to explode when someone drops a few firestorms on your M3s. goodbye.... the culprit only wanted to get a xenon m5 and sent a attack fleet with attack enemies on......

blackfire83
x4

Post by blackfire83 » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 15:14

I'm not sure why everyone sees "multiplayer" and reads "MMO". X would NOT work as an MMO. This is pretty much a fact. However, small-scale multiplayer (up to 4 or so) could be worked out. You play with friends. You don't play with random idiots that are gonna blow your stuff up. Maybe your friends blow your stuff up, but you've probably agreed to terms before hand.

Multiplayer /= MMO.

MMO X = bad.

Multiplayer X = could be fun

I've always wanted multiplayer X to play with friends, but I understand the direction they're going. I am excited for Rebirth despite it not having multiplayer, but that doesn't mean multiplayer wouldn't be a hell of a lot of fun if done right.
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums...

X3:TC - Battlemaster, Master Industrialist

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 15:21

FINALLY! Someone talks sense! Yes Egosoft, for a change LISTEN to us! It's obvious that your 5 games you've created so far have been terrible because of the lack of multiplayer, that's why the series has lasted such a short amount of time, and nobody's buying it any more.

:roll:
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

dargj2
x3tc

Post by dargj2 » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 16:08

Why have we not seen the picture of a dead horse yet? :o

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sun, 31. Jul 11, 17:05

I try to oblige, please follow the link. ( Warning its pretty gruesome! )

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... _close.jpg

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”