[MOD][TC] Advanced Weapons Research Mod (AWRM) [v0.33/R13 - Sa-02-Jul-2011]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 14. May 11, 01:39

garrry34 wrote:Darn toot'n, the way I look at it most if not all usc fighters have their mounts combined in the joust at the front, I think honestly beam weapons fit better...
Ok, I have done a quick implementation and play test....
  • CPC --> CPBC : White-Yellow Beam c/f Proto. FBC
  • EPC --> EPBC : Yellow Beam c/f Proto. FBC
I have them tauted as being advanced Terran energy beam weapons developed as part of an advanced fighter weapon program. On a balance front I have retained the CPC/EPC stats, for effects I was thinking of using the same as the A-KE.

They are both targetted as being tactical weapons, low hull damage with the CPBC draining weapons/engines and the EPBC draining/disabling shields. Will release an update with these changes in the next 12 hours (after I have had some sleep).
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 14. May 11, 09:44

Status Update
Formal release of AWRM v0.29 and CMOD Patch R9!

Changes include:-
  1. Changed Std/Enh/Adv CPC/EPC to beam weapons (other stats unchanged)
  2. Updated sound effect for Pro FBC in CMOD Patch

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

NOValdemar
xr

Post by NOValdemar » Mon, 16. May 11, 13:25

I love the idea of this mod but i find that when I use it in combination with SRM + medium hull increase and Cmod it severly unbalances the game. I was just flying around in a Medusa with full sheilds and hull and was distroyed by two m5s firing the new weapons.

If you do have time it might be a good idea to look at rebalancing the weaponery so that Damage/Second/EnergyConsumption is within max 10-15% or so of the original values of the base weapon. Thereby you would not have to limit the use of like an advance PAC to heavier ships but ensure variablility. You could still allow great variation by relying on a formula like the one above to ensure that balancing doesnt get out of hand. As of right now this mod though awesome disrupts what i love about the SRM and CMod scripts.

I know you guys release these mods in your free time and competely without consideration from 'ungrateful' consumers like myself but i mean my criticism as my two cents on how this mod could become alot better...

Thanks anyway for a great idea

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 16. May 11, 14:52

NOValdemar wrote:I love the idea of this mod but i find that when I use it in combination with SRM + medium hull increase and Cmod it severly unbalances the game. I was just flying around in a Medusa with full sheilds and hull and was distroyed by two m5s firing the new weapons.

If you do have time it might be a good idea to look at rebalancing the weaponery so that Damage/Second/EnergyConsumption is within max 10-15% or so of the original values of the base weapon. Thereby you would not have to limit the use of like an advance PAC to heavier ships but ensure variablility. You could still allow great variation by relying on a formula like the one above to ensure that balancing doesnt get out of hand. As of right now this mod though awesome disrupts what i love about the SRM and CMod scripts.
Thanks for your input... hopefully more people will come forward with their views so that we can minimise the number of iterations ;)
NOValdemar wrote:I know you guys release these mods in your free time and competely without consideration from 'ungrateful' consumers like myself but i mean my criticism as my two cents on how this mod could become alot better...
No worries, balancing of the weapons has always been on the cards, just been awaiting some real feedback :)

Based on this feedback, I will review the stats for the Commonwealth Enh/Adv weapons and try to come up with a suitable compromise before the next release.

su27

Post by su27 » Mon, 16. May 11, 15:19

Has anyone tried changing CODEA scripts to enable AWRM weapons in fighters armament?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 00:38

su27 wrote:Has anyone tried changing CODEA scripts to enable AWRM weapons in fighters armament?
I have just had a brief look at the CODEA scripts and am not sure what you are getting at. The scripts do not appear to call up any specific weapons directly.

EDIT: I have just done a quick in-game check and the AWRM weapons appear in the CODEA weapon selection menus without any changes to the CODEA scripts.

su27

Post by su27 » Wed, 18. May 11, 00:57

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:I have just had a brief look at the CODEA scripts and am not sure what you are getting at. The scripts do not appear to call up any specific weapons directly.
There is an option in CODEA menu that allows you to arm all fighters at once if you have free lasers in carrier's cargo bay. Only vanilla lasers shows there.
I don't know much about scripting - maybe laser choice is somewhere in additional libraries required for CODEA (Befehlsbibliothek)?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 01:13

su27 wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:I have just had a brief look at the CODEA scripts and am not sure what you are getting at. The scripts do not appear to call up any specific weapons directly.
There is an option in CODEA menu that allows you to arm all fighters at once if you have free lasers in carrier's cargo bay. Only vanilla lasers shows there.
I don't know much about scripting - maybe laser choice is somewhere in additional libraries required for CODEA (Befehlsbibliothek)?
Are you running a game which was running CODEA already before you installed AWRM or is this with a new game?

If the former, then the issue is probably down to CODEA doing one-time configuration of the laser/missile lists. If this is the case, try starting a new game.

I have tested it on a new game, and all the lasers are appearing in the "Armament and Equipment" menus for me.

Alex Corvis
x4

Post by Alex Corvis » Wed, 18. May 11, 09:34

Hi, I don't know whether it's an issue with AWRM (though I assume that) or with Cadius' ship pack but whenever I try to install standard, advanced or enhanced kyon emitters i have this problem:

I install 3 or 4 lasers -> everything fine til now
I install any more laser -> the previously installed lasers unmount

Does anyone know what's causing this problem and how I can fix that?

Thanks.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 10:03

Alex Corvis wrote:Hi, I don't know whether it's an issue with AWRM (though I assume that) or with Cadius' ship pack but whenever I try to install standard, advanced or enhanced kyon emitters i have this problem:

I install 3 or 4 lasers -> everything fine til now
I install any more laser -> the previously installed lasers unmount

Does anyone know what's causing this problem and how I can fix that?

Thanks.
That is probably a side-effect of a script like MARS or MEFOS kicking in. I can say with 100% certainty that AWRM does not include any scripts relating to mounting of lasers on player owned ships. Also, from personal experience I believe that Xtra is not the cause for your problem either.

su27

Post by su27 » Wed, 18. May 11, 13:04

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Are you running a game which was running CODEA already before you installed AWRM or is this with a new game?

If the former, then the issue is probably down to CODEA doing one-time configuration of the laser/missile lists. If this is the case, try starting a new game.

I have tested it on a new game, and all the lasers are appearing in the "Armament and Equipment" menus for me.
I tried to start new game with X-tra ships & AWRM installed first and CODEA next. I have only these mods and cycrow's cheats & plugin manager.
I still have only vanilla lasers.

Alex Corvis
x4

Post by Alex Corvis » Wed, 18. May 11, 15:35

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Alex Corvis wrote:...
That is probably a side-effect of a script like MARS or MEFOS kicking in. I can say with 100% certainty that AWRM does not include any scripts relating to mounting of lasers on player owned ships. Also, from personal experience I believe that Xtra is not the cause for your problem either.
Ah, ok. I use MEFOS but it was not installed on these ships. But I'll ask in the MEFOS thread then. But thanks for this hint. Maybe I#ll just install it on those ships and everything might be fine :D

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 15:36

su27 wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:...I have tested it on a new game, and all the lasers are appearing in the "Armament and Equipment" menus for me.
I tried to start new game with X-tra ships & AWRM installed first and CODEA next. I have only these mods and cycrow's cheats & plugin manager.
I still have only vanilla lasers.
Ok some simple questions just to verify a correct install of AWRM:-
  1. Do you receive a message in-game informing you of the version of AWRM installed? (Should only appear for new games and upon loading an existing game after installation/upgrade of AWRM - will not be retained in the player log)
  2. Do you see Enh/Adv lasers in the laser compatibility lists for existing ships
  3. Is there a Spirit Industries HQ in Heretics End and/or a JCRA HQ in Grand Exchange (both should be around 50km below the centre of the eliptical plane for the relevant sector)

su27

Post by su27 » Wed, 18. May 11, 15:46

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
  1. Do you receive a message in-game informing you of the version of AWRM installed? (Should only appear for new games and upon loading an existing game after installation/upgrade of AWRM - will not be retained in the player log)
  2. Do you see Enh/Adv lasers in the laser compatibility lists for existing ships
  3. Is there a Spirit Industries HQ in Heretics End and/or a JCRA HQ in Grand Exchange (both should be around 50km below the centre of the eliptical plane for the relevant sector)
Yes, all new lasers are in Encyclopedia, I can install them on compatible ships, I have Spirit and JCRA HQ's and I can buy new weapons there and there is message about AWRM 0.29 right at the start of new game.
I know it is probably not your problem because, except CODEA, everything Xtra+AWRM works perfectly. I just can't get answers in CODEA thread :)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 16:10

su27 wrote:Yes, all new lasers are in Encyclopedia, I can install them on compatible ships, I have Spirit and JCRA HQ's and I can buy new weapons there and there is message about AWRM 0.29 right at the start of new game.
I know it is probably not your problem because, except CODEA, everything Xtra+AWRM works perfectly. I just can't get answers in CODEA thread :)
Well let's try to work the problem here (if possible :))

Ok, so AWRM is installed correctly... this leaves us with some basic diagnostic type checks.
  1. While in a ship with access to the CODEA console, access the CODEA Console from the Combat Commands menu
  2. Select the Armament and Equipment menu option
  3. Select any of the Hangar sub-options
  4. Select the Front Weapons option
  5. Verify that a number of "Advanced" lasers are at the top of the list

su27

Post by su27 » Wed, 18. May 11, 17:47

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:Ok, so AWRM is installed correctly... this leaves us with some basic diagnostic type checks.
  1. While in a ship with access to the CODEA console, access the CODEA Console from the Combat Commands menu
  2. Select the Armament and Equipment menu option
  3. Select any of the Hangar sub-options
  4. Select the Front Weapons option
  5. Verify that a number of "Advanced" lasers are at the top of the list

None, zero, null :)
No Advanced, no Enhanced, no my favourite Nuclei Cannon...

garrry34
x3tc

Post by garrry34 » Wed, 18. May 11, 19:21

just taking a break from taking the dogs of war out for a walk, rodger would you consider changing one of the MAM varients to be like the gauss cannon, ie slow rate of fire great distance...?
PhenomII X4 940 black edition
8GB DDR2
ATI HD4890
Windows 7 64bit

su27

Post by su27 » Wed, 18. May 11, 20:25

su27 wrote:None, zero, null :)
I can't also add new Vanguard missiles through CODEA armament menu. I can add and use them on carrier.
All that happens on clean TC 3.1, only Cycrow's plugin config, cheat package, AWRM and CODEA. I tried even without Xtra ships & stations...

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 21:09

garrry34 wrote:just taking a break from taking the dogs of war out for a walk, roger would you consider changing one of the MAM varients to be like the gauss cannon, ie slow rate of fire great distance...?
For balancing and lore reasons, no... the Enh MAML is basically a slightly better MAML with higher energy demand and the Adv MAML achieves the higher damage through higher refire rate.

With the current vanilla balance:-
  • Std/Enh/Adv MAML v. Std/Enh/Adv EBC is roughly 1:1 damage per second for roughly 1:10 ammo cost per second and roughly 2:1 energy cost per second.
  • Std/Enh/Adv GC v. Std/Enh/Adv EBC is roughly 4:1 damage per second for 1:1 ammo cost per second and roughly 5:1 energy cost per second
With the current CMOD balance:-
  • Std/Enh/Adv MAML v. Std/Enh/Adv EBC is roughly 3:2 damage per second for roughly 1:5 ammo cost per second and roughly 4:1 energy cost per second.
  • Std/Enh/Adv GC v. Std/Enh/Adv EBC is roughly 6:5 damage per second for 1:5 ammo cost per second and roughly 2:3 energy cost per second
To reasonably do as you suggest would compel me to either increase the rate of energy consumption disproportionatly (c. 60 times for vanilla and c. 20 times for CMOD) or to adopt a commonwealth illegal ware (M/AM Mine) as ammo in order to maintain the sense of balance and by doing so take the current Enh/Adv weapon(s) out of the realm of their current fit.

If there was room to add an additional weapon along the lines you are requesting I would have considered it, but the weapons are now set near enough in concrete bar balancing tweaks.

If the situation changes in the future I will consider adding a M/AM Mine powered weapon along the same lines as the GC, but for now I do not think I can justify reserving another block of resources just for this weapon.
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Wed, 18. May 11, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 18. May 11, 21:15

su27 wrote:
su27 wrote:None, zero, null :)
I can't also add new Vanguard missiles through CODEA armament menu. I can add and use them on carrier.
All that happens on clean TC 3.1, only Cycrow's plugin config, cheat package, AWRM and CODEA. I tried even without Xtra ships & stations...
I would probably ensure that you have all of the following installed:-That is what I have installed from Lucike's scripts and I can see the AWRM weapons in the CODEA menus. If that does not work then I do not know what else to suggest.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”