Dumbest death you've ever had?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sat, 12. Mar 11, 20:36

For me it was probably with the Aran; it was taking so long to dock at a shipyard when I found it (going at 6m/s), so I decided to pilot it myself. Got in it, spent ages turning it to strafe my way to the shipyard...

Then, I hit the docking computer when I came within range. Made some repairs, did all that jazz, and then undocked. :lol: Whoever has the Aran will know what happens as a result of doing that :evil: .

What's funny is that I didn't think of docking another ship and transporting over to it, leaving the sector and then telling the Aran to undock... I actually reloaded and restarted from scratch the whole Aran boarding op (previous save)... That's what happens when your brains are fried :D

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 12. Mar 11, 21:53

chriscos123 wrote:I tried attacking a Xenon K in my space suit..
It was a very embarrasing death...

For the K
Hang on a second. How did you put weapons on your space suit?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Neeros
x3tc

Post by Neeros » Sat, 12. Mar 11, 23:13

StarSword wrote:

For the K
He must have boarded it himself Chuck Norris style and hacked the core before setting its self destruct..

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 02:08

Autopilot through a gate and when I exit my ship goes vertical and rams into the gate.

-________________________________________________________-

Mazz
x3tc

Post by Mazz » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 03:27

StarSword wrote:

For the K
Perhaps he got other xenon ships to shoot the K?

For me there are so many, but probably the worst was flying in an M8 bomber, unloading its boom powder at a distant station, got impatient at how slow the missiles move, and hopped into a Springblossom, zoomed ahead and started pounding the station myself. I also managed to pound myself in the rear with the wall of Tomahawks I had launched before.
Talk about fire and forget... :lol:

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 05:40

StarSword wrote:

For the K
Maybe he hooked it up to Marvin; he's got a bad track record with AI space ships and tanks.
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 05:54

Mazz wrote:For me there are so many, but probably the worst was flying in an M8 bomber, unloading its boom powder at a distant station, got impatient at how slow the missiles move, and hopped into a Springblossom, zoomed ahead and started pounding the station myself. I also managed to pound myself in the rear with the wall of Tomahawks I had launched before.
Talk about fire and forget... :lol:
Wow. With the exception of JoeVN09's contribution on page 1, that's gotta be the best one yet.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Gregtronix

Post by Gregtronix » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 06:06

I've a very bad habit of outrunning my support fighters and coming across two or three Falcons or a couple of Novas, in my excitement I'll bite off what I think is enough to chew until I notice that the PSG is eating my shields and the pair or triplet I've decided to attack have a little more combat experience than I'd originally assumed...

And thus, it's a reload...

The dumbest one of all time though has to be a run I'd taken, creasing a shedload of pirates and picking up about 6/7 unknown objects and a rake of missiles, I'd inadvertantly knocked off the autopilot and it was on SETA while I checked out neighbouring systems for a Equip Dock...

Lo and behold, right at the last second I realised not only was this asteroid completely unavoidable, but in my infinite wisdom I'd forgotten to save it...
Folks, never, ever underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups...

desps 69
x3tc

Titan Vs Vidar

Post by desps 69 » Mon, 14. Mar 11, 22:41

Run straight into my Titan while in my Vidar not reley taking any notice of what I was doing at the time Needless to say Titan won

glenmcd
x3tc

Mad Max climax

Post by glenmcd » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 02:11

Does anyone remember the part in Mel Gibson's first movie, "Mad Max" where the baddie gets killed?

After many tries, I managed to get the pilot to eject from his pirate Kestrel. I've never seen this before, but the hull was showing 0%, and the shields were at that stage 3%.

A day later, the Kestrel is patched up, my usual Kestrel weaponry outfit (1 PAC, with a macro/hotkey swapping it and me into/from the rear turret), and as I'd made a ton of credits from Nividium mining, I threw the turbo on it too.
I was getting more confident in fighting in it, and bravely taking on all takers, up to M3 at least. As my hull had taken a little damage, I couldn't quite outrun this one missile and so I lined up for centre of the North gate, jumped into the back turret and was preparing to take out this missile. No way was he going to destroy my beloved pirate Kestrel! So here am I sitting in the rear turret, waiting to take out the missile, and I decided I might as well just go into turbo mode and outrun this threat instead. It seemed to be working. So I jumped back into the front seat. At that very moment, an Orca TL entered that same gate, and I got a close up view of its centre hangar just before needing to go and do an urgent hand washing task in the laundry. :oops: :oops:

Heliore
x3tc

Post by Heliore » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 15:52

Wasn't my own personal death, but I noticed last night that my captured Akuma I was using to defend my HQ in my home sector has gone missing. After many minutes of trawling through the message logs it was apparantly destroyed by my own M7M which i was using as my player ship. It would appear I undocked from the HQ and backed over my own Akuma. :cry:

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 16:37

Ouch! That's 100 million worth of ship you'll never see again!
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 18:59

here's another "dumb death", but this time, instead of it being me, it was my wingman. there i am, floating along in my brand new (just took it out of the garage for the first time) with my M3 wingman in trail. i spotted a pirate, banked hard to go into attack formation and what do i see coming right at me at a high rate of speed? that's right...my wingman who was attempting a hard roll himself until i smacked right into it and *boom*...yup, i reloaded. that was just a needless death. :oops:
-NavyAICS.
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

vikingwarrior
x3

Post by vikingwarrior » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 22:17

I jumped into a Xenon sector with my new, fully armed Oddy. A J and K were pretty close so I planned to fly bewteen them. My forward and starboard guns would hit the K, and my port guns would hit the J. At 6KM my PPC's had not opened fire, so I checked the turrent commands, and they were set to attack all enemys. So I checked the turrets, and found I'd forgotten to load them with PPC. They were armed with flak :x

As I tried to escape 2 Q's appeared, I had no fuel for an unfocussed jump, or regular jump - and with the 2 Q's a K and J shooting at me - I didn't last long :(

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 22:27

Another stupid wingman death (times two), caused by a poor decision on my part. I had my Chimera wing set to Protect Me (a Panther). All hostiles were eliminated, so the Chimeras were coming in for a landing. I didn't want them to auto-launch again in the next firefight (I like to have full control of my squadrons at any given time; I'm bossy like that :D), so I ordered them to "Dock at my ship".

In the ensuing scramble, I heard two explosions. I checked the message log later and read the following:
Message Log wrote:Your ship "Phoenix 02" - Chimera was destroyed in sector Light of Heart by Voyager - Panther.

Your ship "Viper 03" - Chimera was destroyed in sector Light of Heart by Voyager - Panther.
Argon Police Nova wrote:Otto Pillock, you're under arrest for murder.
:lol:

Argon tactican Justin
x3tc

Post by Argon tactican Justin » Wed, 16. Mar 11, 22:40

StarSword wrote:Wow. With the exception of JoeVN09's contribution on page 1, that's gotta be the best one yet.
I might be able to beat that. Before I begin, let me just say that I almost NEVER experience autopillock in my game, even with 60 Eclipse class fighters flying around in a single wing at the same time. The autopilot can actually fly supertuned carriers through a dense asteroid field without a single collision, sometimes even coming within less than a kilometer (mabye less than 100 meters) of the surface of an asteroid and seemingly just orbiting it for a few seconds to create something that looks like it should be in a movie.
During the attack on Aldrin, I was piloting the first M1 I ever got, a Colossus that I had equiped with max shields and the max number of concussion impulse generators in each turret, but no fighters at that point. While the Colossus slowly moves foreward toward the center of the Xenon fleet, I switch into one of the side turrets to engage some Xenon fighters without turning on the autopilot, probably thinking that the fighters and other ships in the ATF fleet would know to avoid a slow, massive carrier flying on a straight path or I might have just forgot. Sadly, after a while, when I was still controlling one of the turrets, I hear a Terran pilot scream as he dies and can't figure out what just happened because I didn't shoot an ATF ship and finally decided that a pilot had either been flying their fighter in front of the Colossus even slower than it was or they flew directly at my carrier and died on impact. Anyone starting to see what happened next?
Before I can actually figure out what happened, the ATF consider me an enemy, the Xenon and the ATF stop attacking each other, and join forces to kill me instead. Completely confused by what's happening and hopelessly outnumbered, I can't fight back and don't even have a chance to power up the jumpdrive to escape. I still don't believe that the ATF really wants to destroy the Xenon after how easily they joined forces to kill me :lol:
"I have not yet begun to fight!"- John Paul Jones

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 18. Mar 11, 04:15

Trying to park a falcon hauler in a python... forgot about the vertical wing... ram ram... uh why doesn't this work? Kablooey

makapse

Post by makapse » Fri, 18. Mar 11, 16:37

Fought a couple of fighters in my M3,and capped one.So I ejected out,claimed and ordered my ship to collect wares in the sector(dropped by my kills)Next moment ,I am dead.It was no enemy /friend who killed me,but my own ship who I had ordered.Someone beat that stupidity.

StarSword
x3tc

Xenon Shipyard "Friendly Fire" Snafu

Post by StarSword » Fri, 18. Mar 11, 23:01

I was bored after finishing an OTAS follow-the-leader mission, so I decided to explore Xenon Sector 101 south of Nopelios's Memorial. While there, I decided to see if I could get the local Xenon patrols to blow up their own shipyard. (Didn't really know if I could pull it off. (Screenshots to follow.)

I nestled my Disco safely (I thought) between the rotating and non-rotating parts of the shipyard.
[ external image ]
My Disco Raider goes "la de dah."

The Xenon fighters could rarely hit me there; their shots usually hit the station instead. (I did have to shoot an incoming Firelance missile at one point, though.)
[ external image ]
Xenon fighters shooting at me, but hitting the shipyard.

Then the nearest Q entered the picture. It started to blast away at me with its PPCs, and the shipyard's shields started to disappear in earnest.
[ external image ]
The Q attacks.

It reached the point where it had to bank away or crash, and its PPCs stopped firing.

Then the ISRs on its tail guns opened up on me. Unlike the big PPC bolts, railgun shots are tiny, and had no trouble with the shipyard girders at all.

Needless to say, I was glad it wasn't a DiD game..

orion84
x4

Post by orion84 » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 05:00

Embarrasing death #1:

OFF mission in K-sector 931. i nestle my nova in a small crook of the kha'ak base, scouts trying to hit me and dying by colliding with the station.. Nova's got a full load out of flamethrowers (forgot the name). And im pounding the station. 15 minutes in, i got bored, switched to my beluga missiles, started unloading them. One stray goes straight across my bow, gets hit by the flamethrower and AOE kills me.

Embarrassing death #2:

In my nova again, took out a pirate freighter which drops a PRG. oh joy! i thought, a free weapon. Charge full speed at the crate.. Then i get the game over screen. Apparently my cargo bay was full.

Embarrasing deaths (not mine):

Sitting in my panther managing my empire, sitting still. every now and then a fighter will decide to scratch my paint. even the AI can't fly their own ships!
***modified***

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”