'Special' Terran USC Commander Save

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

teki
x3tc

'Special' Terran USC Commander Save

Post by teki » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 09:47

Made a save game with the USC Commander start. I have done just about nothing in it: No jobs or missions done, not killed anyone/anything, no loss or rise of rank (only a little rise with the Terrans).

The special part of the save game is all of this:

- One of each USC ship is owned by the player.
- All of them pretty much fully armed, and max shields except for those that can use 2 GJ Shields (only have 1 GJ Shields).
- All of them should have all of the extensions you can buy at the Earth Torus.
- The Mobile Mining Base-Ship has 1000 of each type of Terran missiles, and 1000 M/AM Warheads.
- All of the 12 ships have 3 times their normal max speed (overtuned).
- The Tokyo and Osaka (also think I included the MMBS) have 3 times their normal max steering.

If this save game have any interest, then try it out. If you do, then please be kind and report back, if it all works as stated. Any reports of problems out of the normal, are also very welcome. Thoughts, suggestions and questions also welcome.

Make a backup of your X01.sav save game before overwriting it, as this takes the first save slot.

http://rapidshare.com/files/446868557/save.zip
Last edited by teki on Tue, 8. Feb 11, 17:14, edited 3 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 11:06

Hmm. A nice enough offer if done in the S&M forum, but I question the ethics of this: "- No *** modified *** tag." It hardly allows vanilla comparison for progress and stats etc so why intentionally keep the vanilla tag except for deception purposes?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 11:14

How did you manage to overtune without creating the Modified Tag?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 11:19

Probably used a hex/memory editor.

teki
x3tc

Post by teki » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 16:18

Alan Phipps wrote:Hmm. A nice enough offer if done in the S&M forum, but I question the ethics of this: "- No *** modified *** tag." It hardly allows vanilla comparison for progress and stats etc so why intentionally keep the vanilla tag except for deception purposes?
Thank you, and you are perfectly right about the use of memory editor.

Regarding the ethics of this save game, I do understand what you are saying. I have never personally uploaded any stats to the data base, and will never do so, as it is not interesting to me. I dislike the tag but have never hidden I used an edited game, whenever I have done so, with regards to comparison. I took it for granted it was so obvious with this save game, and that may have been a mistake, so that will never happen again.

No intentional deception on my part, except towards the game it self.

The concern that others may be deceptive using this save game, is an understandable one. But it always comes down to honor in these matters, as those that wish to be deceptive, will always do so towards others. I do not understand nor condone such practice, but my save game will do little for such persons.

The save game was done for my self, as a proof of concept, testing some of the insight I have to editing the game without having the tag. After I was done with it, I thought that I might share the save game, as others may find it as fun as I do.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 16:31

If this is not intended for cheating why doesn't it have modified? That is what it is for. I can think of no valid reason to post a cheated unmodified save game.

teki
x3tc

Post by teki » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 16:43

Infekted wrote:If this is not intended for cheating why doesn't it have modified? That is what it is for. I can think of no valid reason to post a cheated unmodified save game.
I do not like the modified tag and some others don't as well. If the tag was hidden I would never have made edits to memory, and simply used the more easy to use script editor and cheat scripts.

I am not cheating anyone except the game it self. What others do with it is up to them. If someone wishes to cheat others with save games, that doesn't registers as one, they are already doing so. There are trainers out there as well, though some what broken and lacking in options.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 16:47

Hi teki, I guess the phonetic name may indicate your 'techie' capabilities.

I know that if a game is marked modified almost any asset improvement you want is easily possible using simple cheat scripts that offer little or no modding challenge. You therefore said "testing some of the insight I have to editing the game without having the tag ... others may find it as fun as I do." That is the point, I really respect and applaud your work to meet the specific personal challenge without triggering a modified flag. But thereafter we diverge as I don't see any 'challenge' or 'fun' whatsoever for others (those probably without your knowledge and skills) in just downloading and using the save as vanilla.

Had you triggered the Script Editor such that the save was marked modified before offering it (preferably in the S&M forum) then I would think that those players simply wanting a Terran leg-up at the (re)start of a game would really appreciate it. Why should they desire a vanilla tag then? The only reason I can see that a vanilla tag would have any appeal is for subsequent misplaced boasting rights.

I am aware that vanilla is the stated requirement for Tech Support issues but I am unsure that even that offers any real justification for retention of the vanilla status of your save. The changes you have made may possibly yet have unforeseen impacts, as you appear to acknowledge in your OP.

OK, I've made my opinion known. Good luck with your games.

teki
x3tc

Post by teki » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 17:02

Thank you, Alan Phipps.

After consideration and viewing the reactions, I think it is best to remove the save game and upload a modified one in its place instead. Concerning posting save games in the Script forum, I simply did not think that the save game, would be of any interest to any one with a tag.

It may have been naive of me, and was just happy to make such a save game, that I had not thought it all through.

It was not my intention to cause any problems. Temporary removing the save game, until I have uploaded one with the mod tag.

It'll not happen again, and I will keep any future untagged save games for my self, and upload ones with tags instead.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”