The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Skinmeister

Post by Skinmeister » Wed, 12. Jan 11, 23:39

Last edited by Skinmeister on Thu, 5. Jul 12, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 22:50

I am using the "all plots complete" mod which uses a folder called "director" and already has a "modified.txt" document.
The other file in the t folder is not named the same as any othe file in the game's t folder,so I guess it's ok.

I just can't get the "unknown sector" to change name.
Plus I do not know how to manually change the sector name.

Any help will be welcome.
I am on TC version 3.1

TTD

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 05:55

The modified.txt basically just makes the game *modified* so it loads the contents of the director folder in an otherwise unmodified game.

The reason the sector name isn't changing is because in this MD file the second cue contains this condition:

Code: Select all

<check_value value="{value@HUB Set 1 Unlocked}" exact="1"/>
Which is the value set at the end of the ore stage of the hub plot, as 'All Plots Completed' just completes the plot this value never gets set.
You can delete it (or comment it out) and the hub should rename to the chosen name as intended.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 09:42

I have been running a modified game for ages and the modified.txt file is irrelevant from my experience.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 10:01

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:I have been running a modified game for ages and the modified.txt file is irrelevant from my experience.
Yes, but I expect your running more mods and scripts than a single MD script. Some scripts run automatically, some require you to activate the script editor, and some require you to run them to start them.

If you're using a simple (possibly single) MD script maybe just to fix a plot or something then just putting in the director folder isn't enough, it needs the modified.txt to work.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 10:37

Thanks.
I will check this out tonight.
What do I use to modify the .txt file?

dillpickle
x3tc

Post by dillpickle » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 11:23

I use visual basic - but only because it's what I use for MD coding.

Notepad that comes with windows is capable of editing these files.

If you change the sector name in pageid 7 to:

Code: Select all

<t id="9000001">{9,519}{9,519}{9,503}</t>
Then Betty will announce it as 'Entering System TTD' when you jump in... :P

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 11:29

I include the modified.txt in all my MD scripts, its just safer than having to explain every time that you need to make your save modified, save and re-load the save again.

Is your game already modified then the txt is redundant, but does no harm either.

MFG

Ketraar

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 20:58

Yes,I finally succumbed to Modified.
Only because I did not want to do all the plots again.
But now that I have taken that route,I am looking at performance mods etc too.
I have use the "non-modifier" mods before and looked at others too.
So I have a good idea of what I am looking for.
But I always feel like :headbang: when does not do what I think it should. :lol:

Thanks for advice.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 21:41

dillpickle wrote:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:I have been running a modified game for ages and the modified.txt file is irrelevant from my experience.
Yes, but I expect your running more mods and scripts than a single MD script. Some scripts run automatically, some require you to activate the script editor, and some require you to run them to start them.

If you're using a simple (possibly single) MD script maybe just to fix a plot or something then just putting in the director folder isn't enough, it needs the modified.txt to work.
The only time I have known the script editor to actually need to be activated is if a script needs to be actually manually run. I think most of the "enable script editor" stuff and inclusion of the modified.txt is probably un-necessary. The game seems to load all MD scripts and appropriately named MCSI scripts automatically regardless.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 27. Apr 11, 23:12

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:I think most of the "enable script editor" stuff and inclusion of the modified.txt is probably un-necessary.
Right, I send out files just for the heck of it. :roll:
MD files not packed in cats and properly listed in the mdfiles.txt (which would constitute a modified on its own), are NOT! loaded. You need a already modified game for them to get loaded from the director folder. That's fact, no arguing, no like/dislike, that's just how it is.

Hence providing a file that will make the game immediately modified, does save the trouble of load/save/re-load.

MFG

Ketraar

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Fri, 13. Jan 12, 21:03

The link to this file appears to be down - can anyone re-upload it, or point to another mod that does the same thing? I've been away from X3 scripting too long to remember how to do this myself:/

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”