[TC] FROM NOTHING, A Rogue's Tale - Book I [COMPLETED]

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Razputin53

Post by Razputin53 » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 21:41

I am installing the 3.0 patch for TC, and I just discovered that this story isn't finished yet...

:headbang:

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 05:20

Just plain amazing Sicon. U could write a book or something.
Uve got exellent storytelling skills.
I feel this ones gonna be better than the last one.
Just don't die when after u get ur first M7M :p

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 22:14

Razputin53 wrote:I am installing the 3.0 patch for TC, and I just discovered that this story isn't finished yet...
I gather that means you like what you're reading?
Deeparth wrote:Just plain amazing Sicon. U could write a book or something.
Uve got exellent storytelling skills.
I feel this ones gonna be better than the last one.
Why thank you. :D One can only hope.
Deeparth wrote:Just don't die when after u get ur first M7M
I'll do my best.

7. Food for Thought

768-05-02 07:26

I slept like a king last night. I grabbed a luxury room just cuz I could. I ate like I’ve never seen food before. Then I slept for nearly eleven hours like I was in a coma. Now I feel good. I feel alive. I’m fed. I’m rested. And, oh by the stars, I’m clean! Clean is very nice. I haven’t been clean in a long time. I’m even wearing some new clothes! I can’t believe how much has changed in just a day. I mean, hell, I’ve got a couple of starships and I’ve got the cred, man! Two days ago I was scraping by on the streets of Argon Prime Old City by muling drugs, acting as a lookout for low level stick ups and… you know I don’t even want to think about it. I’m never going back. Never. I’m free and I answer only to myself and I’m NEVER going back. I’m in the stars, man. I’m in the stars …

So, I was on my way back to the ship and crossing the flight deck when I saw this Teladi trying to wipe up something that had spilled out of one of the crates he was prepping for load. Even from ten meters away I could smell the Spacefuel. A fellow smuggler. So I walked up to him and to put him at ease I offered him a drink out of this flask I picked up in Acquisition Repository when I was waiting for my freight scanner to be installed. Yeah, another impulse buy. In any case when this Teladi smelled what was in it he smiled at me and we started passing it back and forth. Turns out his name is, oh by the stars, Gogoeolos Hanirases Foologos the second. Teladi and their names. It’s a bloody ordeal just remembering them, let alone saying them out loud. I’ll just call him “Gogo” from now on, right? So, Gogo and I have similar ideas about how to make money, namely any way we can. We chatted for a while and I even helped him clean up the Spacefuel that leaked out of that crate. When we were done he re-filled my flask, which I told him wasn’t necessary, but by then I seemed to have made a friend.

So, while we were passing that flask back and forth he glanced out the window at my Kestral and said that it was a good ship. I agreed with him of course but he had a point in mind. He mentioned that the Kestral could carry a jumpdrive. Odd, right? I hadn’t even thought about it. Maybe it’s because I’ve been using my computer to do my thinking for me and since I haven’t come across one yet it doesn’t know they exist. He saw that the light had gone off in my head and I guess he figured he’d paid me back for the drink and helping him with his spill cuz he said goodbye then and left me thinking. Just before I let him get away I asked him where one could get one of those. He told me that there were Argon and Boron corporations that had them, but you had to be in pretty tight with them before they’d sell one to you. Then he said good bye again and hopped into his Kea.

So, a jumpdrive. Certain Argon and the Boron corporations sell them. They have to like you, though … and I’ve just recently gone and killed a cop from either race … and I’m liking Boron freighters as targets cuz they can’t shoot back. Food for thought. I wonder if Terracorp sells them? I mean the Kestral’s papers are in order and a jumpdrive on the freighter would make getting it out of any trouble what might come my way a lot easier than … well, a lot easier than watching it get blown to pieces cuz I’ve only got a light fighter to defend it with. It would really suck to accumulate a bunch of loot only to watch it get blown up by … well, by whatever. With another one I could even rescue that Vulture Iv’e got over in Argon space.

Hmmm.

So what to do, what to do? I think some research is in order.

768-05-02 08:28

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... pdrive.jpg

Ok, so Terracorp does have them, and does sell them. They just won’t sell them to me. Apparently there is this investigation over the death of some hero police officer …

So, I’m currently an Argon Citizen. I’ve got to boost my notoriety with them a couple of ranks to Argon Federation Associate before they’ll sell me a jumpdrive. So I might as well get to work.

768-05-02 09:49

Well, that was a little aggravating but not too bad. These people apparently lose a lot of Jaguars, which are pretty easy to return. There’s also a bunch of folks willing to squeeze into my cargo hold in order to get somewhere in a hurry … although there was that one guy. I swear, if I had a blaster on my hip there’d be one less Argon in the universe right now. This guy needed to get from Cloudbase Northwest (CBNW) to Antigone Memorial exactly yesterday and was offering a pretty good bit of change for me to do it. It gets so close on time though that I actually hot docked at the Solar Power Plant (SPP) at over 300m/s in order to get it done … but I DID get it done. So I’m docked, right. The computer has connected to the local trading network. Then this tosser tells me he wants off my ship and fails the mission for me. I mean he’s THERE right. It was ridiculously tight, but I got him there. Then he stiffs me on the fair and even worse he costs me some of the rep I was working so hard to earn. I’m gonna remedy this problem I’ve got with respect real soon. I bet he wouldn’t have stiffed me had I blaster on my hip … and if he had I’d a put a good sized crater in his back for it. I’m tired of it. I’m nobody’s tool anymore.

There was also this problem with the assassination missions I kept picking up. I took five of them and failed every one. I mean I was still kind of in shock that I was even taking on the work, but to have them all stolen from me … and all by the same bloody ship! Would you believe that bloody Ban Danna in his bloody Argon One stole every one of my marks? Every one!! No you don’t, do yah? I didn’t either. Different marks. Different gates. Every time that prick was waiting. Bloody Ban Danna. That sunnuva spaceweed junkie! I got to the point where I just stopped taking executions. I knew that if he stole another of my targets I was gonna do something that would end badly, for me anyhow.

Anyway, it’s done. The Argon now think highly enough of me to believe it inconceivable that I’d kill a cop (heh heh heh) and even more importantly they’ll now sell me jumpdrives.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... drive2.jpg

Bloody thing better work.

768-05-02 10:23

Alright, I’m back at Company Pride. I just swapped that jumpdrive over to the Caiman and sent it along with a whole load of jumpfuel up to the Trading Station in the Hole. I’m about to go buy another jumpdrive and equip that Vulture. In short order I should have two jumpdrive equipped freighters.

768-05-02 10:39

I was just on my way back to Home of Light and passing through Elena’s Fortune when I see this Pirate Galleon wreaking pure Havoc in the sector. It put a smile on my face. I couldn’t help it. It just did. I mean it was foolish, right? There’s a Military Base here. It’s a well defended sector. Yet the sight of this Pirate capital ship blasting the crap out of everything in sight was just kind of, I don’t know, amusing somehow.

Then this Plutarch Military Cerberus shows up and put a squash on the fun.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... nSunk2.jpg

You know, it’s a shame. I didn’t even get any loot out of it. So sad.

768-05-02 11:05

Alrighty then. Both of my freighters have now been fixed up and equipped with both jumpdrives and shields. I upgraded their engines and rudders but can’t afford to have either cargo bay upgraded. I’m completely broke now but I’ve got the Vulture “Gas Station” stuffed to the gills with jumpfuel and the Caiman “Tag Along” is ready to hop into sector behind me to clean up whatever I can convince these freighters to let me have.

It’s now time to commence operation “Pick Pocket.” Hooo. I’m tingling from head to toe. This is so gonna rock! (Provided I don't die horribly, of course.)

Assets

1x Kestrel “Hot Rod”

1 x Caiman Hauler “Tag Along”
1 x Vulture Tanker “Gas Station”

11,573 Credits
Last edited by Scion Drakhar on Tue, 15. Mar 11, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 01:19

Ooh, I'm all tingly inside waiting.

I suspect that sometime in the future the estimable Mr. Danna will be on the receiving end of a Hammer Barrage.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 10:33

Why don't you gift the great Argon One a few Tomahawks when u have a good capship? Or maybe not since Danna helped us a lil. But then again.....i think his role is over...... :p

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 23:30

Perhaps one day in the future I will simply annihilate all of Argon Prime while Ban Danna watches ...

8. Piracy, Smuggling and Slavery, oh my!

768-05-02 12:12

Oh that was fun. Insane! But oh so much fun. I kinda overlooked an important detail when I decided to target this Boron Military Transport. That detail would be just how many fighter drones he was packing. It was alright, though, and decidedly worth it. I mean I’m way faster than they are. I tried shooting ‘em down at first but this Boron right, he just kept pumping more n’ more of ‘em out. So I decided on another tactic.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... Whoops.jpg

Right. That would be me running away. It was a well thought out and strategic decision, though, not an act of cowardice. No, really! You see I discovered something after a little while: those drones run out of fuel. Since they can’t catch me I just led ‘em on a merry little chase, circling around every so often to lay into that Boron Transport some more and convince him to drop some more drones. Eventually he ran out. Then the drones petered out. Then he was all mine. Heh heh heh.

I got a lot of what he had, but it was strange, you know. He refused, to his dying breath, to cough up all of it. See, he had these 20 Navigational Relay Satellites that I wanted. He just never would drop ‘em. Then eventually I finally hit him too hard and he exploded. I don’t know why but it made me giggle. I very well may be an evil person. It’s okay, though. I think I’m alright with it. I guess I’ll find out the next time I try and sleep.

In the meantime:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... tables.jpg

… and after Tag Along managed to pick everything up it looked like this:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... 4/Swag.jpg

That’s over 600k just in PACs! Then another couple hundred for the Mass Drivers (MDs) Woo Hoo!

I’m not sure if I should sell it all, though. I don’t know. In the meantime, though. I think I’m gonna lie in wait for another target.

768-05-02 12:18

I couldn’t help myself. I needed to do it. I needed to see it. I needed to know what it felt like to have over a million credits …

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... 4/1mil.jpg

I tell yah. It feels good.

768-05-02 12:49

Well this was right up my alley. I was just kind of cruising the pirate sectors looking for something yummy to take a bite out of when I got to Brennan’s Triumph. I docked and checked the com at the pirate base and it turns out there was a hacker offering to take care of the Anarchy Port over in Hatikvah’s Faith and it’s inclination to not let me dock, and this:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... livery.jpg

Which amounts to over 1940 cred per unit. Normally the very best I can do is a little over 1200 cred per unit. The distillery up in Herron’s Nebula, still being overflowing, was selling the stuff for just over 300 cred per unit. So, all said and done that was a quick 312k profit. Not bad for just sending my freighter to pick up and deliver. Opportunities baby. I do wish I’d gotten those satellites, though. One parked in Herron’s Nebula would give me the ability to monitor the stock up there instead of gambling.

Oh, one more thing. I picked up something while I was here:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... 4/Guns.jpg

Right. Four crates of phase pistols and plasma blasters. So now I’ve got a blaster belted low across my hips and strapped to my leg so the heel of my hand rests just on the grip. It’s comfortable, and just so we’re clear I do know how to shoot. I’m not half bad, either. I tell yah, the next time some Paranid looks at me like I’m refuse, or some jerkoff tries to stiff me on a fare just cuz I’m a kid and he thinks he can get away with it I’m gonna blow some holes in somebody. I’m over it, right? I deserve some bloody respect and I’m gonna get it.

768-05-02 13:51

Well, I’m becoming a regular terror of the trade lanes, at least for unarmed Boron and one very unlucky Paranid. So, being that I have a lot of speed, right, I’ve decided to cruise the trade lanes in the pirate sectors looking for anything that I might like to take a bite out of. I even took a couple of the adv sats I picked up from that last guy and parked ‘em in Noplieos Memorial so I could monitor the whole sector, giving me the ability to pick a target on one side of the sector if I‘m on the other. I put the other in Brennan’s Trumph to watch the pirate base there, although I‘m thinking about moving that one to Heroon‘s Nebula so I can monitor the distilleries. They’re my lookouts, you know.

So, I was just in Hatikvah’s Faith about to start heading back through toward Argon Space when I see this Paranid Weapon Trader. I scan him and he’s carrying a bunch of weapons I’ve never heard of before, including some Photon Pulse Cannons (PPCs) a Phased Shockwave Generator (PSG) a bunch of Fragmentation Bomb Launchers (FBLs or Frag-Bombs) and a few that I have, like High Energy Plasma Throwers (HEPTs) plus a bunch of some kind of missile called Auroras. All in all it looks kind of tasty, right. Then I checked the computer! Those PPCs go for nearly a mil each! That PSG is worth over 600k! The Frag-bombs over 200k each and the HEPTs nearly 150K each! I didn’t do the math or anything but I was looking at MILLIONS of cred in weapons if I could get ‘em all.

Well, I did, and you know what, considering the nature of the things that arrogant putz was saying to me I’m glad I did, regardless of their worth. I hate the Paranid. I do. It goes beyond their arrogance and their condescension or even their smell. I just hate ‘em. Supercilious, egotistical, condescending, oh so holier-than-thou three-eyed bastards. Screw ‘em.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... /Swag2.jpg

Which amounts to a bit over 4.8 mil in swag!!!!

Now after I got it all I Iet him go and had Tag Along come and hoover it all up while I started to check out Nopileos Memorial. I made a couple of sweeps back and forth. I even made a try after an ultra-lightly shielded Boron Freight Trader in a Mako and, well, I kind of hit him too hard and he exploded. I did get a crate of microchips out of it, though. I was just about to have Tag Along move into Sector when I noticed another Paranid Weapon Trader coming in from the Hatikvah’s Faith gate. I moved in to take a closer look and realized he’d been in a fight as his hull was down to about 70%. I can be a bit slow. I admit it. It was the same guy what just hooked me up with all that treasure! He saw me too, and immediately turned around and started trying to head back for the Gate. So, of course I decided to say hi again, right. I mean he did still have a few of those Auroras, and I was rather enjoying myself.

Well apparently this was too much for that Paranid and guess what?

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l55 ... tClaim.jpg

Yep. He jumped right out of his ship and into cold hard vacuum … where I promptly scooped him up, pointed a blaster at his head and told him to climb face first into an empty crate that used to be full of Spacefuel. I taped his hands and feet together, covered his mouth and then kicked him in the back of the head a couple of times for fun. Then I shut the crate telling him he was soooo gonna love the new life that awaited him. I’ve got a plan for him. See, he’s worth about 1400 credits as a slave at the Pirate Base over in Hatikvah’s’s Faith. Not much, I grant you. Certainly not even worth the trouble of actually ferrying him over there. But oh stars and heavens, the satisfaction is. Hey, at least he’ll be nice and quiet on the way over and probably high as a kite on the fumes from that Spacefuel by the time we get there. In the meantime, though I claimed his ship. You know, Demeter’s are kinda pretty. This kind of fun should be illegal … oh, right! It is!

Aaaah-Hahahaha….!

Assets

1x Kestrel “Hot Rod”

1 x Caiman Hauler “Tag Along”
1 x Vulture Tanker “Gas Station”
1x Demeter 64%

763,819 Credits
Last edited by Scion Drakhar on Mon, 21. Mar 11, 03:35, edited 2 times in total.
A Pirate's Story.pdf(KIA) by _Zap _ From Nothing.PDF(complete) by _Zap _ Prodigal Son(active) Original Thread, Prodigal Son_PDF

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 02:57

Awesome chapter. Can't wait for more.

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 06:01

I love the way your character is developing, very immersive.. Kinda sad that i have to quit reading and wait for the next installment.. Keep up the good work, can't wait for more.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 18:01

w00t, congrats on your first cap Scion :)

You've gotten me hooked on DiDs, just dowlnoaded A Pirates Story and read it all in one hit, could still cry at the ending. BTW did you ever check out Triaxx2s "clone" from that? I was quite enjoying it whilst he was working on it...

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 18:36

Thanks guys. I do so love hearing from you.

Ok, the situation: I've run into some sort of computer problem. My game keeps crashing and I can't determine whats been causing it. I've exhausted every option available to me without doing something drastic, so drastic it is. I've backed up my saves both on the internet and on compact disc. Now I'm going to completely erase my hard drives, re-install my operataing system and start from scratch. There may be a several days without posts as I hunt down drivers and get all the various components to co-operate and play nice.

Wish me luck.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 20:16

Best o' luck then, I hate doing OS re-installs. Question now is, how do I amuse myself of an evening if I can't read your latest exploits? (Actually that's a sad statement on the state of my life :-p)

Next stop: N-Ss Wanton use of nukes.... then more pirating of my own :twisted:

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 22:58

I assume you tried reinstalling the game before moving to drastic measures.

@Kirlack: Wait you mean some one was actually reading it? Maybe I'll pick it back up. I only stopped because I didn't think anyone was.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 23:16

Triaxx2 wrote:I assume you tried reinstalling the game before moving to drastic measures.

@Kirlack: Wait you mean some one was actually reading it? Maybe I'll pick it back up. I only stopped because I didn't think anyone was.
Smartass.

Yeah, I've tried all sorts of things. I uninstalled the game, deleted the folder and then re-installed it three times. I've updated all of my drivers. I've uninstalled several dozen programs. I've run Norton half a dozen times. I've even bought a new sound card. It keeps crashing. Something has slipped into the system and I don't know where or what it is. Hell it may have even been one of the windows updates, in which case I'm severely screwed.

The guys over in tech support are still working with me. In the meantime I'm backing up all my data and getting ready to do something absolutely dreadful, namely re-format the hard drive and start over. I hate doing it cuz I always forget SOMETHING.

Anyhoo. I'm not gonna actually start on it until tomorrow sometime, so maybe the Tech guys'll come up with something. IDK.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 6. Jan 11, 00:05

I know many people, some who are even intelligent computer users that jump straight to 'Reformat' without trying the necessary possibilities in between.

Have you tried using a System Restore?

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Thu, 6. Jan 11, 01:56

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

If you're interested that's the thread where some very smart people are helping me try to narrow it down. I'm not going to actually go through the r-eformatting bit until at least tomorrow and that's only if these guys can't help me.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Thu, 6. Jan 11, 09:08

Here's hoping you get it cleared up before having to deal with a full system wipe. You mentioned that you hope it's not a Windows Update issue -- have you checked the dates of updates your machine has downloaded recently?

Jawms
x4

Post by Jawms » Fri, 7. Jan 11, 00:08

After reading that thread, sadly, it seems that it is neither a hardware nor a software problem, but a corruption with your save. You should check if any other saves give you the same crash.

Scion Drakhar
x3ap

Post by Scion Drakhar » Fri, 7. Jan 11, 00:47

You may be right. After reading your post I loaded an earlier save and did everything I could think of to create the same crash and wasn't able. I'm not sure, though. The coincidence between the exact nature of the crash, namely the exception code and the fault offset, being exactly the same as TomWilson's. I may be looking at a gremlin.

The other problem: I haven't been very dilligent about saving ...

Next post to come.

_Zap_
x3ap

Post by _Zap_ » Fri, 7. Jan 11, 06:15

Kirlack wrote:You've gotten me hooked on DiDs, just dowlnoaded A Pirates Story and read it all in one hit, could still cry at the ending.
You really downloaded it? Then why says the counter on the page still only 5 downloads... who knows.

Krilack wrote:Next stop: N-Ss Wanton use of nukes.... then more pirating of my own
Actually I made a pdf for this too. i couldn't upload it to the same hoster where i host a pirates story cause its bigger then 15MB, so I uploaded it elsewhere. Unfortunatly i somehow managed to break my source file fpr this, so i cant just split it into two parts... Link should be on the last page of the wanton nukes thread (Page 190?)
Edit: Now also with (hopefully) working mirrors.
Scion Drakhar wrote:You may be right. After reading your post I loaded an earlier save and did everything I could think of to create the same crash and wasn't able. I'm not sure, though. The coincidence between the exact nature of the crash, namely the exception code and the fault offset, being exactly the same as TomWilson's. I may be looking at a gremlin.

The other problem: I haven't been very dilligent about saving ...

Next post to come.
I Hope you wont have to load from an older Save.

Anyway, i cant wait to read more from your Stuff!

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Fri, 7. Jan 11, 18:10

Actually _Zap_ I've now downloaded both those PDFs (Kudos for making the pdf versions, I could kiss you!) Since both make for brilliant reading and inspiration I thought it best to keep a copy on my rig for when I'm "bored"

Are there any plans to make any other PDF versions of popular DiDs? I'd quite like to read "Zen and the art of running away" but my rig gives me grief everytime I get past chapter 1 :(

Also, I don't have the superbox, but I suspect either (or both) of those stories would have fit well. I for one would have celebrated having some great pirating tales on hand :D

Return to “Creative Universe”