[SCRIPT/AL Plugin][TC] Frontier Wars [v0.4 - Tu-31-May-2011]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

[SCRIPT/AL Plugin][TC] Frontier Wars [v0.4 - Tu-31-May-2011]

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 11:46

Hi everyone,

Overview
After noting the rather interesting mod/script from Ketraar (Random Sector Manager), I decided to write my own little add-on targetted primarily at the new RSM sectors. I may decide to add options for Vanilla sectors, but I do not want this script to turn into a full blown STO or IR mod/script.

Ok, now the basic stuff is out of the way here is the concept:-
  • Each of the Commonwealth races and the Terran race have one or more Explorer type ships (Overtuned and maxed out ships named <Race> Vanguard).

When one of these explorer ships encounter any unclaimed sector (with a few exceptions to avoid potential Vanilla plot issues) without any player stations the respective race will take control of that sector and deploy a medium sized fleet to defend it.

When a sector is owned by a race on good terms with the explorer ship or an unclaimed sector with player stations in it and player is on good terms with the explorer ship then a small sized fleet will be deployed to help defend the sector.

When a "claimed" sector is owned by a race on sub-par terms (negative) with the explorer ship or an unclaimed sector with player stations in it and player is on hostile terms with the explorer ship then a large sized fleet will be deployed to attack the sector, the Explorer ship will jump out (after 10s).

When a sector is claimed and all owner race assets are destroyed (by any force - inc. random spawns of Kha'ak, Pirates, and Xenon) then the sector will revert to unclaimed.

When an explorer ship is destroyed a replacement will be re-spawned at the original spawn sector.

When an explorer ship encounters ANY Xenon/Kha'ak sector, a large fleet will be deployed to attack that sector (Xenon/Kha'ak ownership will remain - unless I decide to do add a Xenon/Kha'ak explorer ship of course ;)).
Compatability
As of v0.2 a form of STO compatability has been implemented in co-operation with the author but this has yet to be tested.

Please note that compatability with other scripts that change sector ownership can not be guaranteed at this time. If the respective authors wish to make their scripts compatable it should be a simple matter of checking if the array stored in global variable "rlsg.fw.sectors.discovered" contains the sectors whose ownership is influenced by this script. If the respective script authors use a similar mechanism and care to provide me with the appropriate info, then I can also modify my script to do a similar check before affecting ownership.

NOTE: As of v0.4, Frontier Wars is now dependent on an EES/CWP compatible script being installed. The dependency is the jobs.loadout.max script.

Downloads
Please see my blog over on TXU for the formal release of my mod.

[ external image ] (TXU)

[ external image ] (TXU)

Related Links Game Resources Used
  • Strings
    • 17:250400-250499
    New Data Files
    • t\2504-L044.xml
      scripts\al.plugin.rlsg.fw.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.al.event.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.al.event.init.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.al.event.start.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.al.event.stop.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.al.event.timer.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.behave.attack.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.behave.explorer.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.clear.xenon.atk.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.despawn.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.despawn.explorers.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.despawn.fleet.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.fix.fleet.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.fix.fleet.sub.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.manage.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.news.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.purge.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.purge.explorers.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.purge.fleet.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.report.explorers.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.report.fleet.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.report.sectors.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.sector.clear.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.sector.explorer.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.sector.reset.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.spawn.explorers.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.spawn.fleet.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.spawn.fleet.aslt.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.spawn.fleet.atk.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.spawn.fleet.def.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.spawn.fleet.sup.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.unspawn.fleet.xml
      scripts\plugin.rlsg.fw.unspawn.fleet.sub.xml
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Tue, 5. Jun 12, 11:01, edited 20 times in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 12. Nov 10, 19:16

Ok, back from hell week working away from home... now time to try and make a stab at this script I think. Expect to see an initial drop of something sometime in the next week.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

h2o.Ava
x3tc

Post by h2o.Ava » Sat, 13. Nov 10, 11:58

Sounds interesting.
:)
Any ideas on how to curb the bugged sectors like between Spaceweed Grove and LooMank-Strat's Legacy mar's sector? (any new sector that appears next to a sector with a gate already adjacent to it.)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 09:53

Status Update
V0.1 Initial Public Release.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 11:38

Roger could you please add a compatibility alert to your main post?

IR's Takeover routines may conflict with this and result in sectors that cant be taken over, or that flip there ownership periodically. I cant say for certain if its compatible or not as of yet - but placing a warning would be nice

Regards
Jack
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

Trickmov
x3tc

Re: [SCRIPT] Frontier Wars (0.1 - 27-Nov-2010)

Post by Trickmov » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 12:15

This is currently not compatible to STO - because of this:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: When a sector is claimed and all defence ships are destroyed (by any force - inc. random spawns of Kha'ak, Pirates, and Xenon) then the sector will revert to unclaimed.
STO will overtake the sector, if the player has a tradedock there and no stations of the former owner are in there - saving the current owner in an array for later.
Unfortunatly your script will not reset the ownership before STO overtakes it, thus STO will save the wrong owner.

If you change the overtaking and reseting requirements to stations instead of ships (by building also tradedocks), it could be made compatible.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Re: [SCRIPT] Frontier Wars (0.1 - 27-Nov-2010)

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 13:19

Trickmov wrote:This is currently not compatible to STO - because of this:
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote: When a sector is claimed and all defence ships are destroyed (by any force - inc. random spawns of Kha'ak, Pirates, and Xenon) then the sector will revert to unclaimed.
STO will overtake the sector, if the player has a tradedock there and no stations of the former owner are in there - saving the current owner in an array for later.
Unfortunatly your script will not reset the ownership before STO overtakes it, thus STO will save the wrong owner.

If you change the overtaking and reseting requirements to stations instead of ships (by building also tradedocks), it could be made compatible.
v0.1 actually checks for both ships and stations as it stands,

Trickmov
x3tc

Post by Trickmov » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 13:35

Yes, but this doesn't help - if your script waits with resetting, until there are no ships, while STO overtakes the sector, once there are no stations left, this will not work.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 13:58

Trickmov wrote:Yes, but this doesn't help - if your script waits with resetting, until there are no ships, while STO overtakes the sector, once there are no stations left, this will not work.
Note my compatability notice above, that is the best I can do... but I will not be changing my ownership logic as you suggest since this script does not build stations in those sectors.

However, I had intended to remember the last race I set it to and be permissive in the direction of not flipping ownership if another script changes it after I do but I have not worked out the details of how I will do this yet (original plan fell through because I could not work out how to create an invincible satellite using scripts - got it to ignore collisions but blast radius of missiles could still kill it), will try to implement something appropriate for v0.2.

Trickmov
x3tc

Post by Trickmov » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 14:27

Please note that compatability with STO, IR, and other scripts that change sector ownership can not be guaranteed at this time. If the respective authors wish to make their scripts compatable it should be a simple matter of checking if the array stored in global variable "rlsg.fw.sectors.discovered" contains the sectors whose ownership is influenced by this script. If the respective script authors use a similar mechanism and care to provide me with the appropriate info, then I can also modify my script to do a similar check before affecting ownership.
While I would be willing to add some compatibility-codes, I think the incompatability between STO and your script is more an elemental thing.
I cannot wait for ships in sectors, cause due to the Khaak-respawn Khaak-sectors could never be overtaken.

If STO would just check, if the sector is in your global var, this wouldn't make a difference alone.
If STO waits until the sector is not in the GV, some sectors could become unclaimable (except by using your overtaking logic, which reverts the STO-logic).
If it just checks, if the sector is in the GV, and saves the information about the real ownership, it would need an additional GV with the owners included (but this doesn't help your script for the case, that STO changes the ownership).

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Nov 10, 17:12

Trickmov wrote:While I would be willing to add some compatibility-codes, I think the incompatability between STO and your script is more an elemental thing.
I cannot wait for ships in sectors, cause due to the Khaak-respawn Khaak-sectors could never be overtaken.
Logic would indicate that the Kha'ak could be treated as a special case in your mod, but that is just a suggestion.
Trickmov wrote:If STO would just check, if the sector is in your global var, this wouldn't make a difference alone.
If STO waits until the sector is not in the GV, some sectors could become unclaimable (except by using your overtaking logic, which reverts the STO-logic)..
If it just checks, if the sector is in the GV, and saves the information about the real ownership, it would need an additional GV with the owners included (but this doesn't help your script for the case, that STO changes the ownership).
If STO changes the ownership and it is not in the GV then my script will not attempt to reset the STO, the only issue is if a sector is currently under the governance of Frontier Wars (and currently it does not get released). One elegant solution might be for STO to have it's own GV of sectors under STO governance then the two scripts can co-operate. Consider it that Frontier Wars declares sectors effective War Zones where as STO is stabalising the political situatuion. I could check the STO GV, and if the sector is in the STO GV and is not unclaimed then I will not reset it (Frontier Wars will only take over unclaimed sectors).

duke8202
x3

Post by duke8202 » Sun, 28. Nov 10, 09:05

Any chance you can make a X3 R version....?

TrixX
x3tc

Post by TrixX » Sun, 28. Nov 10, 09:26

duke8202 wrote:Any chance you can make a X3 R version....?
Could upgrade to TC you know, it's kinda a helluva lot better :D
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original."
Sir Ken Robinson

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 29. Nov 10, 04:35

Status Update
Formal v0.2 release including:-
  • 1 STO Compatability fix (untested)
    2. Hot Key linked menu with facilities to help Troubleshoot/Debug/Fix problems
    3. AL Start/Stop will now spawn/despawn related ships (stop will also reset sector ownership)
    4. Better management of fleet spawning (v0.1 would spawn ships in the same sector indefinitly)
    5. More explorer ships (1 M1, 1 M7, and 1 M6 except Terrans have an Aldrin Springblossom M6 as well)
    6. Better fleet/explorer ships (Tried to choose the best "Vanilla" M1, M2, M7, and M6 for each race)
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Mon, 29. Nov 10, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 29. Nov 10, 04:38

duke8202 wrote:Any chance you can make a X3 R version....?
Not any time in the foreseable future.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 30. Nov 10, 02:23

Trickmov wrote:Yes, but this doesn't help - if your script waits with resetting, until there are no ships, while STO overtakes the sector, once there are no stations left, this will not work.
Actually, in retrospect because this script has ADDITIONAL conditions before reverting a sector to unclaimed AND it only changes ownership of sectors in two cases (one when an unclaimed sector is claimed, and the other when the current owner has no assets in the sector) there should be no problem with STO.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 2. Jan 11, 21:10

Status Update
Formal v0.3 release including:-
  1. Expanded facilities to help Troubleshoot/Debug/Fix problems
  2. Better management of fleet spawning (v0.2 could spawn too many attack fleets making the game run REALLY slow)
  3. Reduced size of Xenon sector attack fleets
  4. Improved behaviour for attack fleets

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 15:35

wouldnt mind seeing a script like this one developed for XTC,
any chance yr thinking in the same direction as i am? :)
The next patch of XTC will be taking some time (half year i heard) so it would be nice to see a script spice up things in XTC.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 5. Jan 11, 20:30

Due to the way that XTC expands the universe, this script or something like it would not really be very relevant nor useful.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 2. May 11, 03:14

Status Update
Added GoogleDoc mirrors as a temporary measure.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”